Fern Britton, why couldn't she have been honest?

I for one never said she was wrong in doing it through a GB. actually that takes a lot to do to have surgery. What I felt was shes been slightly dishonest in not mentioning it and being a real champion of 'not dieting' I think she'd have done so much more good by being honest about it from the start. She does look fantastic now no question about it.

Fern lost weight due to diet and exercise. So what she had surgery and didn't say - it was still all her hard work. How would you feel if someone said CD was an "easy option". There is NO easy option when we're dieting. We still have to resist the voices and food and there are always threads on here from people who have succumbed - tell them (myself included) it is easy. I don't think any of us overeat because we were hungry and, whilst helping, not being hungry is not the be all and end all.

Would you come out and tell the world if you knew you would be slated for it? I would have thought this place would be the last place she'd've been slated. Everyone on here ought to understand what the woman has been through.

I am here because I feel it is my last chance before I have to have surgery too. Fern passed that point and did it in desperation - don't knock her for making a difficult and very, very brave decision.

I saw her talking about the newspaper story on tv this morning and she did say that she didn't make the decision to have a GB lightly, that it was no-one's business but hers and her hubby's. She still feels that it's all a load of fuss about nothing and I agree with her. So what if she chose to lose weight that way? It's actually none of our business really is it?

She's entitled to have her private life kept private, she's entitled to choose how she loses weight, just as we are.

I say good on Fern for having the courage to have the surgery and to lose weight and feel good about herself for the first time in years. :D:D As she said, she's happy and she can wear a bikini now, I would love to be able to say that one day. :D

I know if I could afford it and they was no chance of anything going wrong in the future I would do it. But I wouldn't lie about it if I was asked!!

I know if I could afford it and they was no chance of anything going wrong in the future I would do it. But I wouldn't lie about it if I was asked!!
But that's your choice .... Fern's was not to say anything to begin with. Surely she's entitled to decide if she wants to tell all or not???

How many celebs have cosmetic surgery and the papers are all speculating as to if they have or not .... should all be their business to tell or not tell.

I do agree with you Bevereley thats its her choice, but I think its totally wrong to make out she did it through diet and exercise alone. I originally found her an inspiration to my weight loss. But now I feel there is no hope for me.

I would, most definitely and feel no shame about it either.

hey man at the end of the day she obviosly liked the cake.....now she can eat cake in its liquid form....to be honest its only this yr that ppl have started getting intrested in her in that way anyway...she is quite a private person..what i do however think is hillarious is that that alison hammond also just got found out off the same tv programme!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just thinking, when I lost all my weight, the children at school asked how I did it. I didn't tell them I did Cambridge. I felt it would be irresponsible. Much that I loved the diet, I didn't want them to feel it was the only option when they got older.

I still think that I did the right thing, but perhaps if they ever find out, they may feel I should have. I don't know. I certainly didn't lie, just gave the 'eat less...exercise more' talk.

I guess it's the same...if she is supposedly a role model for many, then she needs to be guarded. Would it be right for those who feel they had to follow her, to all think that GB was the way to go before trying everything else?

I originally found her an inspiration to my weight loss. But now I feel there is no hope for me.

Do you really?? I think that is very sad. Why does it make any difference to you? Is it that you feel the ryvita diet now wont work?...even though it did for her.

I'm confused now:confused:

The way I see it is that she is a TV presenter. She hasn't brought out a DVD telling us how she did it and making profit out of her weight loss. Her weight has absolutely nothing to do with her ability to do her job. Why do people expect her to justify herself? She's lost the weight and good on her. I can't wait to look as great as she does and we'll all get there using the method we have each chosen - the same as she did.

Jan x

Cambridge, Lighter Life, WW etc...My point is she could have dieted just like the rest of us.

I bet ya bottom that she has spent many years 'dieting'. Maybe even tried VLCDs.

In fact in a perfect world, nobody should even have to diet. We should just all eat healthy and exercise, but I bet you know how difficult that can be at times.

So....we resort to dieting. We have to...we get messed up.

so we resort to "normal diets" such as Cambridge, Lighter Life, WW etc...

Umm. Cambridge, LL are not 'normal' diets, they are the extreme end of dieting. The last resort....or nearly last anyway.

Most people try the others SW, WW etc, and if they can't get their heads around that, then they opt for a VLCD. What if they can't do that either? Then there really is the last resort....surgery. Still have the hard work to do though.:sigh:

Personally, i feel its none of our business what she does in her private life. Thinking about it, and being perfectly honest, if i was well enough off ~ i'd consider getting one too. Tho, unless i win the lottery, that isn't going to happen.:p

Everyone has their secrets... and its all well to point out the mistakes of others... if we were perfect ourselves. Can't speak for anyone else, but i'm far from perfect. Let the woman live her life... she can live her's the way she wants, and we can live ours the way we want.

Although, one thing that struck me is that she got the band 2 years ago...? and has lost 3 stone? Looking at it that way, i'm not sure i'd bother... would be quicker doing weightwatchers really.

Some things we don't want to air in public, when i was on CD i didn't broadcast it. I'm happier to say to people i'm on weightwatchers now, because people have a better general understanding of it, but i was a lot more reluctant to mention that i was on CD, a while back, because of the fuss people would kick up about it. You all know how people can harp on and get on your goat about it. Okay, slightly different context, but theres a similar principle. Its not much different to the way many of us chose not to mention that we're on a VLCD to those outside our immediate circle.

Last edited:
I for one am chuffed for Fern - regardless of how she has lost the weight, she has worked ruddy hard and seems to be an absolutely lovely woman. It's not my business how she did it - if she was the woman down the street I would probably ask her how she did it :giggle: but I wouldn't expect her to bare all aspects of her life to me. Why should she have to just because she's on the tv?! :confused: Here here for another 'real' woman doing the best thing for herself and her family! :clap:

Agree totally Yvonne. Why can't the press just let people get on with their own lives? Just because she's in the public eye doesn't mean that she doesn't feel the same we do about her weight. It's hard enough for us. It was only going to be a matter of time before someone felt the need to have a go.

Jan x

My somewhat unphilosophical view is that the girl done good and looks bloomin marvy so hat's off to her!

Gxx

well, i have lied abut being on the CD. I didn't want to hear others Values, attitudes and beliefs about it......i just wanted to do it. It must hav been much harder for Fern. I don't ever watch her shows but i fully understand the mindset of a fatty.

Back