Finding my head isnt catching up

Ria.

Silver Member
ok so thought id make a little topic to see if other have the same issue im having.

My head is finding it really difficult to realise i'm actually becoming slim. The figures are all amazing and of course my dress sizes are getting smaller but i still look in the mirror and see a size 24, 18 stone mess not a size 16/18 with a lovely figure people keep telling me about.

Its making me really sad and i'm worried that this will prevent me from stopping dieting when i get to my goal (11 stone) and i'll end up obsessing on it for ever :cry:

Does anyone else feel like this?

Yeah, I know what you mean. My goal has and always will be 140lbs (10 stone.) But I'm trying to get to 164 initially as it's less intimidating. I started 86lb overweight!

I can see some physical changes in my body - I know my belly and hips are a LOT smaller. But I hate my legs; they still look the same as they did 4 stone ago to me (woe me!) I've lost 4 1/2 inches off my upper thigh in the past three months, so I know they ARE smaller, I just can't see it.

I find myself worrying that when I get to my goal I'll STILL think I'm fat. I know I'm starting to look much better than before in clothes, but out of them I still look so... bleurgh.

I think the mind does take a long time to catch up with weightloss. Keep ploughing and make sure you keep track of your measurements as well. This helps me mentally. :) You're not alone in feeling this way.

I started at 16st 10lbs in 2008. I am now 12st 5lb. I tend to try and diet for a few months and then stop for a few and then re-start again.
I still feel exactly the same about myself as I did when I was at my heaviest, but I think it is more because It takes me a long time to drop a dress size. I was an 20-22 size when I started and I am now a 18-20. Although the scales are saying I am loosing weight cos my dress size is staying around the same, I am not really feeling it. I know its a mind thing and I am still persevering. But it is a worry that when I get down to my goal weight if I am still a big size if I will be able to stop.

Took my head ages to catch up. I just had to focus on how much better I felt, rather than how I looked.

well im glad its not just me. i spose it will take a while and i know im much smaller but my head doesnt see it

I'm finding this too, even with all the weight I've lost - I can see it of course, and definitely feel a huge difference, but when I look in the mirror I still think I'm overweight and need to lose more. Which can't be the case because I'm smack in the middle of the healthy weight range for my height. :confused:

I realise that something is just not connecting in my brain/perception at the moment, hopefully once I've been at goal for a while it'll sort itself out.

My perception of myself really seems to change on a day to day basis. Some days I feel like I've come so far and I feel good about how I am (well, I'm better than I was and I feel good about knowing where I'll be in just a few short months), other days I look in the mirror and think I'm kidding myself with the weight loss and feel like I look the same as I always did. Not many people have noticed and commented though, I think if/when that happens more I'll start to believe it more myself.

Im also having this problem.

Im size 12 now.
SIZE 12!
I look at other girls who are also size 12, and i think..im waaay fatter than her ect.

i feel like im size 16/18..

Its annoying because i dont feel confident even though i probably should!

x

Im finding it hard to believe what i see in the mirror. Physically I feel as though im still fat, although sensibly i know im not. Ive lost 5 and half stone and am now size 14 from a 26. But mentally i might as well be a 26 still lol. I still do have rolls of fat on me, although apparently im the only one that can see them haha.

It just takes a while to get used to being thinner i guess, we are all too brainwashed by the images we see of supermodels so find it hard to accept a 'normal' figure as just normal.

Lynns right......all of the stuff thrown at us in the media distorts the perceptions of ordinary women. Its about learning to love yourself. Being bigger is part of who you are because its who you have been.

i must say, i dont feel like this any longer! I still feel i need to lose a stone but im happy with the way i look :) Just takes time i guess

I also agree that the media has a lot to answer for.

There is also a lot to be said for the tweaks that happens for photos and in films. All those perfect women in magazines and films are just not like that in real life!

Its all about you, and about the pace that you yourself are moving at. It does take time. You need to think positive and have a bit of perspective. Such a tiny percent of the population look like underwear models, thats NOT what real women are mean to be like.....its not real. You are real.

i was shopping with my mum a few weeks ago for a cardigan, picked up a size 24 and went to try it on, then littrally laughed out loud and said to myself i only need a size 16!

put a huge smile on my face i must admit

Im the same - still am the fat girl with fat wobbly legs and bum. think i always will be!

I dont think i'll feel any better about myself until Im down to a healthy bmi.

Even though I am really happy with myself having lost 3 and a half stone, Im still fat!

for some reason i felt the same at a bmi of 19.2 and 27[about 2-2.5 stone difference]

i am sadly heavy at the moment

i hope you feel better soon

I've been at a healthy weight and still felt the same as I do now, it's never enough it seems. This time around I'm trying to do more than lose weight, but to love myself at the same time.

I still feel fat even though my head has caught up since I wrote this topic originally!

Back