Finding my head isnt catching up

Hi ladies. I am soo glad this isnt just me feeling like this. I have always been a chunky monkey from being a kid. I am now lighter and smaller than I was even in high school. I still see myself as big. I have gone from a 24/26 top and tight 24 bottoms to now a 12/14 top and 12 but getting big on waist bottoms.

Everyone is saying stop now don't go any further or you will look ill so I have declared target for now to see if my head catches up. I also head straight to the plus size section when shopping. At my biggest I dreamed of being this sort of size so I could buy what I liked to wear but I still cant shop happily and go for the same clothes I wore when big.

I can remember looking at size 12 jeans when I was at my biggest thinking I would never ever be able to wear them as they were so tiny but now when I am ironing my 12s I look and think well they are not that much smaller than my big jeans the clothes must be a lot bigger than they say.

well done on your fab losses anyway and I am just glad I am not alone
x

I have this too. I have always tended to avoid scales, but I remember weighing myself a while back and being just over 22 stones. I think that was my heaviest.

Recently family members and friends have been telling me how much weight I have lost. Someone even asked if I had had gastric band surgery! I don't see it myself, I still feel like I am as big as I always have been. But when I got on the scales nearly three weeks ago I was shocked to see I was 17 stones. I really don't feel like I have lost all that weight when I look in the mirror. Or even though my dresses are starting to hang on me. This may be more to do with the fact that I get my clothes made for me so don't go by shop dress sizes.

Does it take a while before you see the physical changes to your body?

I swing between liking what I see in the mirror, and feeling fat... and I felt exactly the same when I was 4 stone heavier!

It does take a while to see it. I had a stunning skirt I brought years ago at my heaviest. I lost weight a couple years ago -about a stone - so got the skirt taken in. A while later and another stone off the skirt literally fell off me a work (I mean literally one minute I was dressed and heading to the lift the next the skirt was on the floor. Luckily no one was around and I had clean knickers on.)
Still I didn't see how much weight I'd lost. Looking at the before pictures now I can see it - but it seriously took me a couple of years!

What a fantastic thread! I can totally empathise with all of you! It's taken me just over a year to lose nearly 4 stone and I still have a little way to go but sometimes it's hard to accept where I am.

As someone else said photos and measurements help but do you know what.. the days I feel fat are when I'm feeling down about other things. If I'm doing well and things are good I see myself as having achieved something fantastic and I can see myself properly. However if I'm stressed or sad I start all the fat jokes and put myself down and feel huge. I have a work collegue who knows if I'm feeling low by what I wear. She'll say "you're hiding behind those baggy clothes today then?". I think it's a lot to do with why I got big in the first place. Anyone else use being fat as a shield to hide behind and feel safe? I'm still struggling to let go of my fat armour now.

So much more to weight loss than diet and excerise. It's a mental journey as well.

Hello

I have been reading this and cannot believe people feel the same as I do! I look in the mirror and still see the same old fat arms staring back at me! I'm a pound off losing 2 stone, it's been slow at a pound a week but I'm finally getting there, I think my main problem is when I try on clothes I'm still wearing the same sizes when I was 2 stone heavier. Smaller sizes are tight but is that because I'm used to baggy clothing that doesn't fit me!? I don't know! People have been commenting which is also a slight boost but I just don't see any difference when I look in the mirror argh! I've just tried on a slim fit demin jacket that I've had for about 8 years it's always been snug and couldn't do it up at the start of my diet. Now it fits perfectly hopefully this will make me realise I am beginning to look different!

Back in 2006 I lost over 4stn on LL. Even now I look at the after photos and don't recognise the person in them as me!!! I was sorting through my wardrobe the other day and dug out all the clothes I'd brought when I went down to a size 10/12. All I could think was. I fittted into theses!!!

I put 3stn of the weight back on and I'm now doing a different diet to get the weight off. This time round I'm getting a good friend to take photos of my as I loose each stone. I'm hoping that gets my head in the right place :)

I'm so glad this isn't just me! I look at pictures of me at my biggest and me now and I can hardly see a difference. I'm a size 12 now but I can't bring myself to buy size 12 clothes, or even when I do, I just assume that I've chosen a shop with generous measurements, or that I'm just having a slim day and if I buy a size 12 it won't fit tomorrow. I've even looked at pictures of myself in the past, when I know for a fact that I was heavier than I am now, and thought to myself that I was so slim then and I'd love to be that slim again, even though I'm thinner now!

Back