Flab to Fab (hopefully!)...my weight loss diary

trixie89

So I've been wanting to jot down my thoughts and feelings regarding my weight loss for a long time. After almost 1 year of dieting, I think its about time I started!

In October 2010, me and my DH went to my GP's, concerned about the fact that we'd been trying for a baby for almost 2 years and nothing had happened. We already have a daughter, which made it even more frustrating because we couldn't understand what was wrong. After various tests and scans, I was eventually diagnosed with PCOS. I was given a 1-5% chance of conceiving naturally. I weighed in at a whopping 125kg (19st 9lbs) At that weight, the NHS wouldn't consider any form of fertility treatment. I had no idea I'd let things get so bad with my weight...sure I knew I was heavy, but no WAY did I think I weighed that much. However, the scales don't lie! So feeling absolutely mortified, I walked out of the doctor's office and vowed to change my life. I HAD to, if I wanted a baby. And my goodness I wanted a baby.

On January 3rd 2011, I began my weight loss journey. Determined and focused, the pounds dropped off. By the start of February I had lost around 2st.
On 15th February 2011, I got a positive pregnancy test I couldn't believe that losing just 2st had had such an impact on my fertility. Naturally, I had to put the diet 'on hold' but nevertheless I still ate healthily. I began the pregnancy weighing 114kg and I didn't gain a single pound throughout...even on the morning I gave birth I still weighed 114kg!

On 16th October, just 2hr30mins after my first contraction, our baby son Alfie came into the world.

It was after I'd got home from hospital that I properly began my diet again and really started to keep track of my weight loss.

19th Oct: 109kg
23rd Oct: 106.7kg
13th Nov: 100kg
30th Nov: 96.2kg
18th Dec: 92.4kg

Im trying not to get too hung up with the scales, which is why I don't weigh myself too often! But I think on average I'm losing around 2-3lbs per week which I'm happy with. I have lost 5st 2lbs since 3rd January 2011. I have gone from wearing size 24 jeans to wearing size 18 jeans. Ive recently joined the gym! I am a completely different person to the shy, timid woman I was this time last year. I used to hide away from the camera, I couldn't even bear to look in the mirror as I hated the person staring back at me. My confidence is growing by the day. I am immensly proud of what I have achieved, especially as I've been pregnant for the vast majority of this year!

This is just the beginning :D I have another 2st to lose before I hit my inital target of 12st 7lbs, which I'm hoping to hit by the time I go back to uni in March 2012. Then I'll evaluate how I look, and if I'm happy then I'll stick with that. If I want to lose more, I'll lose more.

Of course, Christmas is just round the corner! I'm going to go easy on myself...if I want something, I'll have it but I'm not gonna stuff myself silly just because its Xmas, or because I can. I'm not too big on chocolate anyway so that helps! I'll be going to my parent's Xmas Eve Buffet, so I'm gonna treat myself there. Then on Xmas Day I'm gonna have my roast dinner with all the trimmings, a small cheeky dessert and couple of bevvys! Then thats me done. I am however, going to put the scales away and forget abut weighing myself until mid January, so if I do gain a few pounds they should hopefully have slipped off before I weigh myself. So I'll never know haha!

In 2011 I became a mum again. We completed our family and we couldn't be happier.

In 2011, I said goodbye to 5st 4lbs of me. For good.

In 2011, I said hello to size 18 clothes, and goodbye to size 24.

In 2011, I found my confidence.

I can't WAIT to see what 2012 brings.

Last edited:
Just remembered I've got my postnatal check at the doctor's tomorrow. It will be the first time I've seen my doctor since she told me I had PCOS, all my antenatal care was midwife-led so I never saw her throughout the pregnancy.

I hope she acknowledges the fact Ive lost a lot of weight. However I know how doctors work, and I know she'll probably tell me to keep losing it, still a long way to go etc. I KNOW I'm still overweight, but a little recognition would be nice....

We'll see lol.

xxx

Hi Trixie, Well done you for all that weight loss. I will be more than a little surprised if you don't get a big well done from your doctor.
So glad you were able to get your wee family finally and I am sure with everything that you are no doubt feeling so much better in yourself for not being so heavy.

Well done again.. Have a lovely happy Xmas and a very happy new year....:)

Thank you Emmaline :D Hope you and your family have a lovely Christmas.

My doctor was very pleased with how much weight I've lost which is fab. DH hid the scales this morning, so I won't be weighing myself until the New Year now. I'm looking forward to Christmas now, its taken a while but I think I've finally found my Xmas mojo lol. We're going to my parents tomorrow evening for a little family get together. There'll be buffet food there, so I'll be having a little pick at that. Although I'm not going to stuff myself just because its there, or because its Xmas. My parents are also trying to lose weight so they'll understand, my mum and dad have both lost around 6st each. We should have gone on The Biggest Loser, its amazing how much weight we've all lost this year.

I'm going to Asda when DH gets in from work, gonna do the big Xmas food shop eeeeek wish me luck :S xxx

So I have survived the Xmas period! Must say I think I've done really well. Ate a few nibbles at my parent's Christmas Eve party. Then on Xmas Day I had my lunch and a small piece of chocolate tart which I was unable to finish. Then thats been pretty much it! Been snacking a little bit on pretzels but I chucked them in the bin last night so I won't be tempted by them anymore! But overall I'm pleased with what I've ate. Haven't gorged myself on chocolate or anything.

Eager to get back to they gym now. Its a nightmare finding time to go now that DD is off nursery until January. DH bought me Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2012 for the Xbox Kinect and I had a go on that last night....OMG! The bootcamp bit really has you sweating, its such hard work but its a fab game. Hoping to get to the gym tomorrow morning though.

Dying to weigh myself, even though I know I'll have gained a little. I'm determined I'm not weighing in again until the end of January though.

xxx

Good t hear about you surviving Christmas! I think alot of us expected ourselves to just go insane around this time of year but alot of people have said they haven't over-indulged at all. Maybe we don't know our bodies as well as we thought? ;):D
Well done on your weight loss so far, it's incredible.X

Thanks audfen and LinzLinz. I really surprised myself with how I ate over Xmas...I was offered chocolate, sweets etc. but I just automatically found myself saying 'no'. I wasn't even tempted by it, I think I'm mentally stronger than I think I am.

I managed to get to the gym yesterday for a little 45min session. Was mega busy though so I only did treadmill and bike, but burned off 300cals so I'm chuffed with that. My legs are aching like mad today as well lol.

NYE tomorrow. Gonna have a few cheeky drinks to see in 2012, but not gonna stray from my healthy eating.

Happy New Year to everyone! 2012 WILL be our year :) xxx

This has been so inspiring to me...I really want to have another baby and feel my weight is what is holding me back. 2012 is the year I have decided to dedicate to my body and getting it fit and healthy. Reading your post has made me see it is possible. I wish you and your family all the best and hope you continue to reach your goals in 2012 xx

Well done on your weight loss so far!! And congratulations on your baba. Ive got a little one too, Well, 3, but my youngest was born on 28th sept, and ive got 6 stone to lose. 6 stone of baby weight!!!! With every child i put weight on and didnt lose it then got pregnant and put more weight on etc. We arent having any more so this year is going to be for me!!! Anyway, sorry to go on, good luck, ill be looking forward to seeing how well you do xx

Thanks for your kind words dublinrose and tootsweets. I remember joining this forum almost a year ago now, and reading people's stories and thinking 'I can't do this' but its been the best year of my life. Keep positive and you WILL achieve your goals.

I never really lost the baby weight I gained from my first pregnancy. Its so hard to get motivated isn't it, especially when you've got a newborn to look after! Then I began comfort eating when it was hard TTC the second time and the weight just piled on and on. My doctor telling me my weight was stopping me from getting pregnant was the kick up the ass I needed to change my lifestyle.

I wish you both the best of luck with your weight loss. You'll be a yummy mummy in no time, tootsweets!

I hope to see a post from you soon dublinrose telling us you are pregnant!

xxxx

I wish i said no to sweets over xmas i ate loads of sweets but i didnt drink any alochol im not looking forward to weigh in on Jan 9th

You've still got a while until weigh in :) I'm sure that if you have gained any weight the majority will be back off by the time you weigh in. My mum ate TONS of sweets but didn't have any alcohol and her weight's stayed the same. My dad ate no sweets but drank a lot of cider/lager and he's gained 12lbs! So I think alcohol has a lot to answer for, so good on you for not drinking any lol. xxx

Lol alcohol really does give you the munchies! Must admit I was partial to the odd greasy takeaway after a few too many drinks :) always tastes sooooo much better when you're drunk.

I see from your sig that you restarted today LinzLinz. How has your first day been?

Must admit my willpower slipped a little tonight...not with food, but I gave in and weighed myself. Bit disappointed in myself as I promised myself I'd wait til mid January but I couldn't resist....Very pleased though, I've lost 1lb since I last weighed myself on the 18th. So not a huuuuge weight loss, but still 1lb off over Xmas so I'm really chuffed with it.

xxx

Lol alcohol really does give you the munchies! Must admit I was partial to the odd greasy takeaway after a few too many drinks :) always tastes sooooo much better when you're drunk.

I see from your sig that you restarted today LinzLinz. How has your first day been?

Must admit my willpower slipped a little tonight...not with food, but I gave in and weighed myself. Bit disappointed in myself as I promised myself I'd wait til mid January but I couldn't resist....Very pleased though, I've lost 1lb since I last weighed myself on the 18th. So not a huuuuge weight loss, but still 1lb off over Xmas so I'm really chuffed with it.

xxx

Today has been easy actually, maybe it's just a lucky day though...gonna be hard I know but I'm prepared;)
I used to be like you, couldnt resist weighing in and then got annoyed at myself.
Any weight lost over Christmas is a miracle I think so that's good! I lost 3lbs over Christmas, how that happened I have no idea haha.
How're you finding it? x

Wow, well done on your 3lb loss!

I'm coping better than I thought I would. I've removed all temptation like leftover sweets, nuts etc. so its back to normal now. Can't wait to get back into the gym though. Its closed tomorrow so I'm gonna go on Tuesday, looking forward to it.

Had a few drinks last night but didn't eat anything naughty so thats good I suppose! Got really tired though and went to bed at 10.30pm haha, slept through til 8am this morning so I totally missed midnight lol.

Gonna go on YSFE 2012 in a bit. I'm also contemplating....going for a little run tomorrow lol. Yes, I am actually thinking about going for a run! DH is off work so I might as well bite the bullet. I like running on the treadmill in the gym, I'm just very self conscious about how I'd look pounding the pavements in my village lol.

xxx

What an amazing story! Not only lost an incredible amount of weight already but you have a gorgeous baba too :) It's stories like this that keeps other people going! Do you follow a particular diet or exercise regime? x

Thanks princess-jader :) Its so nice to hear that my story is inspiring others.

I don't follow a particular diet, just calorie counting, healthy eating, exercise etc. Although I do try and avoid carbs if I can, but if I do fancy some I'll have a handful of brown rice pasta. I eat a lot of fresh fish, chicken, veg etc. I go to the gym 3 times a week, do an hour each time and then on the days when I don't go to they gym I play Your Shape on the XBox Kinect. I'm gonna start Couch to 5k today too!

I found that once I cut all the crappy food out, like chocolate, crisps, processed foods etc. the weight just dropped off. Sure, the first few weeks were hard but its just second nature now and its easy peasy :)

Best of luck with your journey! I look forward to reading about your progress :) xxx

So, I had to slightly change the C25K thing as I cannot find the USB to charge my iPod. So I did a 5min warm up in the house on Kinect and then I managed to run 400m without stopping. Not fantastic, but better than I thought I could do. I could have done a little bit more but my head's all over the place today. Some of you may have seen on the news today about the County Durham shootings...well I knew 2 of the people who have been killed and its hit me quite hard. Absolutely devestated. RIP girls....xxx

Back