Flexisynning

Was perusing the forum while I couldnt sleep and found this massively helpfull! I want to hold my hands up and say i had a horrific weekend! I ate too much and drank too much at a fancy meal out (where booze was free and menu was set!) This post just made me think about taking responsibilty for the mistake, rather making the excuse to myself that I "flexisynned" it! :)

Was perusing the forum while I couldnt sleep and found this massively helpfull! I want to hold my hands up and say i had a horrific weekend! I ate too much and drank too much at a fancy meal out (where booze was free and menu was set!) This post just made me think about taking responsibilty for the mistake, rather making the excuse to myself that I "flexisynned" it! :)

I love this thread and I think Kim_Bee has hit the nail on the head! It's really all about taking responsibility for our actions and choices, accepting when things haven't been as planned and finding a way to move on from that.

Slow and steady wins the race!

Fantastic thread and so helpful - I had been really confused before. Definitely deserves its place in sticky land :D

I think people need to remeber that special occassions can be very challanging yet I bet we all ended up on this journey cos we have shirked a few challanges previously. (Me it was P.E at school, failing admitting I had a food problem and trying, unsuccessfully, to eat myself happy!) I think we should all embrace each challange, plan for it, enjoy it and then reflect upon it and most importantly move on for it more knowledgable!

I LOVE this thread. Thank you so much MLM. I wholeheartedly agree with what you’ve written. For me, “cheating” and fannying about with flexi-syns and pro-points is why SW and WW haven’t worked for me in the past. Before you know it, you’re allowing yourself a blow-out a week in the name of flexi-syns (if you’re me anyway, I’m sure others manage fine) and that is NOT what the plan is about. Yes, maybe advance planning can seem a bit restrictive, but the syns you can allow yourself is unrestricted, it’s just trying to make you think before you act and not vice versa. By applying some thought it can stop you going overboard. For me, I also don’t see anything wrong with it being a bit restrictive from time to time – it was unrestricted eating which got me to the weight I am today so it’s about time I learned a bit of control. I’m not under any illusions that I’m not going to have the odd unplanned blow out from time to time, but I will make sure that this time I will not be kidding myself that a blow out is part of the plan – it’s not.

Thanks MLM ,
just wondered if my weeks can be classed as flexi synsiming
as every sat an some fridays I go out so do have some drinks
I try stick to diet coke/malibu or lager then onto water
but in the week I plan ahead for the weekend by having no syn days or only 5 syns max
on a Friday if Im staying in we have a takeaway normally fish/chips mushy peas but I have it as
a green day.. any advice be great as dont want to give up my social life x

How many syns do we have a week? I know its 5-15 per day bus was wondering how many weekly you should aim for x

Sent from my galaxy s2 using MiniMins app

Sooooo, I know I am going out tomorrow night - fancy dinner and a hotel and although I've not lost much weight recently I haven't been out/ had takeaway/ done anything too bad for the last month or more. We're off to dinner in a place known for fresh food, so planning on grilled meat and plain veg/ share a dessert - going to see whether I splurge on a starter but not having one for the sake of it. Will stick with water, as know going out after dinner. Plan to stick to vodka and Slimline. Been for walk today, doing circuits this afternoon. aqua aerobics tomorrow morn and swim on Sat morning. Syns this week are between 5 and 10 a day. So would this count as a flexi syn day? Allowing 10 for my meal and 30 for drinks ....

largerthanmost said:
Sooooo, I know I am going out tomorrow night - fancy dinner and a hotel and although I've not lost much weight recently I haven't been out/ had takeaway/ done anything too bad for the last month or more. We're off to dinner in a place known for fresh food, so planning on grilled meat and plain veg/ share a dessert - going to see whether I splurge on a starter but not having one for the sake of it. Will stick with water, as know going out after dinner. Plan to stick to vodka and Slimline. Been for walk today, doing circuits this afternoon. aqua aerobics tomorrow morn and swim on Sat morning. Syns this week are between 5 and 10 a day. So would this count as a flexi syn day? Allowing 10 for my meal and 30 for drinks ....

Yes that is flexi synning x

Yes that is flexi synning x

Thanks - just wanted to get my head around whether it was syn budgeting or just picking a number and sticking with it. Cheated and weighed self today - exactly same as last weigh in which was a bit disheartening as exercised every day and been on plan. Oh well, a sts would be ok I guess.

largerthanmost said:
Thanks - just wanted to get my head around whether it was syn budgeting or just picking a number and sticking with it. Cheated and weighed self today - exactly same as last weigh in which was a bit disheartening as exercised every day and been on plan. Oh well, a sts would be ok I guess.

Im terrible for weighting my self when i shouldn't. It always makes me feel crap but come SW weight in its normally ok. I managed 3lb weight loss week and you can do it too x

Thanks MLM ,
just wondered if my weeks can be classed as flexi synsiming
as every sat an some fridays I go out so do have some drinks
I try stick to diet coke/malibu or lager then onto water
but in the week I plan ahead for the weekend by having no syn days or only 5 syns max
on a Friday if Im staying in we have a takeaway normally fish/chips mushy peas but I have it as
a green day.. any advice be great as dont want to give up my social life x

hi have just spotted this was unanswered so thought I'd fix that! What you are doing isnt flexi synning, but basically counting your syns weekly rather than daily. Many people do this and have no problems but others cannot get away with it and find it affects their losses. Flexi synning is planning to use syns over and above your regular 5-15 per day as described in MLM's post. eg. going to a wedding and allowing 50 syns, you keep counting till you get there and then stop, then straight back to normal the following day. x

Thanks for the information on flexisynning. I have just started SW so at this stage I am planning to use my syns on a daily basis to a maximum of 15 and see how it goes. :)

Just wanted to add my thanks to MLM for this thread. It's very interesting.

I joined a group five weeks ago and hadn't really heard of flexisyns. The most I've done so far is juggled four or five Syns over two or three days! I have had two blowouts - one planned, one unplanned - but on both occasions, I've managed to get straight back on plan and I still lost 2 pounds for one of those weeks, but STS for the other week. I'd rather lose weight than have an unplanned blowout so I won't be doing that again - it was a good lesson to learn.

The idea of flexisyns sounds good, for example I'm at an event at the end of October where there will be a set meal and wine. I will try the flexisyn approach of allowing myself a certain number of glasses of wine then stop, but equally I know I will be back on the plan the next day.

For me, SW is such a good plan and so possible to sustain over a long period of time, that I know I will stick to it almost all the time - I am in this for the long term. So for me, the odd night having a few drinks or a meal off-plan won't stop my journey overall, and if there's a handful of weeks where I stay the same or gain slightly, then so be it - I'll still keep going. Equally I don't want to do this so many times that it adds six months to getting to target, for example - that would be a bit daft!

Hi everyone I'm kind of new, done sw few months back done well but got of track!! I'm back on in my first week and thankfully haven't been that hungry at all, Infact haven't had to use hardly any syns Infact since Monday I have used 18.
Anyway too the point I'm out tonight at a friends and want to have a few glasses of wine, can I use the syns I haven't in the week?

First time using flexisynning tomorrow...it feels weird! Going out for fish and chips, which the books tells me will be about 27syns if I have small chips and small fish (which is plenty...do they know about Scottish chippy portions being absolutely huge?!). I don't plan on having any other syns the rest of the day, just thinking keep it free and superfree the rest of the day. I guess I do just worry slightly someone might spring alcohol on me so maybe I should add an allowance for a glass of wine or two. Should I add those and make that my maximum just in case? Then I won't feel so bad if I do have one. I guess I am answering my own question, lol!

Here here

Back