for all those horse lovers out there

fillymum

synful soul
It would seem there are quite a few of us on here.

I would love to know what you ride, if you compete etc.

I have bred dressage ponies for about 40 years and love everything about them' We have been lucky enough to have had some spectacular results that have left me feeling like a proud mum

Our young stallion ( 15 years old ) has been champion of Spain 6 time. He is now retired and very happy making babies.

He was the only pony stallion in the world invited to the World Equestrian Games in 2002 to do exhibitions in the main ring. God, how amazing was that. Rubbing shoulders with the Worlds greats. I felt very humble.

Too many stories about lots of them to put here.

The absolute highlight of my horsey world was judging at The Royal Welsh in 2008.

Some of my most memorable times have just been out riding, galloping down the Tissington Trail or hacking out at a leisurely pace in Chatsworth taking in the impressive views.

How true is the saying " the outside of the horse is good for the inside of the soul "

We only have 4 at home now, but still retain ownership of lots of them.

I would love to hear about your best and happiest moments with the horse you have had, still have or ride.

I have ridden since I was 11 and I have owned my connemara x mare for nearly 6 years.

I enjoy hacking and flatwork and have done a couple of dressage comps at prelim level. A grass roots rider I suppose. I like sponsored rides and loved completing the Burghley ride a couple of years back on the Sunday of the event. We got to ride on the x country course (obviously not jumping!!)

What else can I say other than I am happiest when I am with my horse and don't have a care in the world when I am riding out. xxx

I relate to that 100%.

My great passion was Endurance riding, called Golden Horseshoe in those days.

assortedsept08033.jpg

This is our naughty 2 year old when she was 4 months old. Her nickname is Squeak because she squeaks before she gallops off. She is going away in October and next year will start some very light work.

I think you must have such an amazing life Fillymum! X

Well I don't ride horses, but I was very proud this weekend as my daughter got her first stamp in her riders passport (or her first level exam) here she is in the picture:

IMG_0960.jpg

As she's small for her age I have to often help her saddle up (especially on the taller ponys).

Sorry to threadjack :whoopass:

Well I don't ride horses, but I was very proud this weekend as my daughter got her first stamp in her riders passport (or her first level exam) here she is in the picture:

View attachment 8986

As she's small for her age I have to often help her saddle up (especially on the taller ponys).

Sorry to threadjack :whoopass:

Nothing to be sorry about. You have every right to be proud of her and I am glad you shared it with us.

Kids who ride learn a great sense of responsibility and find it easier to apply themselves to most things in life. I know my son did.

She looks so sweet. Is it a little welsh pony ???

I love horses and riding but haven't been riding for about 11 years because of my weight. My longing to get back in the saddle is one of my motivations for losing weight!

awwww squeak is lovely, how cute to squeak before galloping.

dont have horses or ride, but i just love any animal so intreasting reading.

Nothing to be sorry about. You have every right to be proud of her and I am glad you shared it with us.

Kids who ride learn a great sense of responsibility and find it easier to apply themselves to most things in life. I know my son did.

She looks so sweet. Is it a little welsh pony ???

Thanks for the kind words Filly Mum, I think it also helps in her development as she has to do a lot of things for herself, I hope when she gets older she wants to take up sailing (my sport) as well which I believe has the same benefits, and we can go together.

I'm not sure what kind of pony it is, a white one :eek:

They have about 4 of these white ponys (all of similar build) many more "brown" ponys and several other breeds, a couple of icelandic ponys, a couple of Fjord ponys and a couple of shetland ponys (but these are more for the total beginners), there are also a couple of much larger ponys which look more like full blown horses to me.

I swear it helped make may son the person he has become. He is married and has been for 21 years, a rare thing in his age group, is a devoted dad and husband. He has a fantastic job and was head hunted into it.

I think all of his achievements have their roots in being able to apply himself and stick at things, accepting responsibility as well, he always had to "do" his own ponies, no days off !!!

In turn his daughter, our grandaughter, goes to Cambridge this year and our grandson got 4 A* and 4 A's in his GCSE's.

In fact any sport or hobby that calls for concentration and responsibility on a long term level is good.

minstral-50.gif

one of our foals ( a few years ago ) Ribble Valley Minstrel. Mini man to his friends.

I swear it helped make may son the person he has become. He is married and has been for 21 years, a rare thing in his age group, is a devoted dad and husband. He has a fantastic job and was head hunted into it.

I think all of his achievements have their roots in being able to apply himself and stick at things, accepting responsibility as well, he always had to "do" his own ponies, no days off !!!

In turn his daughter, our grandaughter, goes to Cambridge this year and our grandson got 4 A* and 4 A's in his GCSE's.

In fact any sport or hobby that calls for concentration and responsibility on a long term level is good.

minstral-50.gif

one of our foals ( a few years ago ) Ribble Valley Minstrel. Mini man to his friends.

Well done on your grandchildren it sounds like they are doing very well :)
Academically we are not worried about our eldest daughter, she has already skipped a class and at the moment one of the better ones in her present class. Unfortunately she is not very apt in sports and had to go to the physiotherapist when she was younger (as she couldn't even do some of the basic stuff young kids should be able to do). We are really pleased that she has taken to horse riding as it is good for her balance and self confidence.

really nice pic, thanks for sharing :)

Last edited:
she is not very apt in sports and had to go to the physiotherapist when she was younger (as she couldn't even do some of the basic stuff young kids should be able to do). We are really pleased that she has taken to horse riding as it is good for her balance and self confidence.

really nice pic, thanks for sharing :)

Balance is everything. So good for your daughter.

I have just realised you are in Holland so for sure the pony your daughter rides is a Welsh Pony. They are nuts about them.

dottynaddy.gif
One of our lovely mares with her foal. Also taken a few years ago.

Nice photo, yeah that looks like the type they have at the stables (I just looked on internet) I also think that the brown ones are also welsh ponys (similar in build to the white ones).

We are very lucky here as there are quite a few stables near here and there is a nice area close by (with bridleways) which is a mixture of heathland, woodland, dunes and beaches, they even have wild ponys and cattle wandering there. I hope when she gets better she can go off on one of the many treks near here, but that'll be a while yet.

Last edited:
I'm really chuffed my daughter got her second stamp in her "riders" passport at the weekend :party0011:

Here are a few photo's

IMG_1353.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1362.JPG

She looks fabulous !!! She is so concentrated and sitting so well. I love that at her tender age she has " her leg on " so correctly.

In the second photo she looks like a little dressage rider in the making. She looks so comfortable and confident.

Tell her from me, lots of congratulations, she looks like she is going to be a good un. So well turned out as well.

Thanks for that Cloggy. I have really enjoyed seeing her.

She looks fabulous !!! She is so concentrated and sitting so well. I love that at her tender age she has " her leg on " so correctly..
Well to be honest that was always her weak point, she quite often slumps in the saddle, but she really amazed us when she did it so well.

In the second photo she looks like a little dressage rider in the making. She looks so comfortable and confident..
Well when she took the first test she didn't have a jacket or white trousers but all of the other kids did, so we felt as if we had let her down. Anyway I think this also helped her generally, she seemed to be very confident.
The white gloves were not compulsary but her normal black gloves were not allowed, and it was really cold.

Tell her from me, lots of congratulations, she looks like she is going to be a good un. So well turned out as well.

Thanks for that Cloggy. I have really enjoyed seeing her.

Thanks Sue, I'll definately pass on the congratulations.

Last edited:
Oh well thought I'd ressurect this old thread :eek:

Last weekend my eldest daughter (9 years old) did her first ride outside the manage, they went into the nearby "noordhollandse duinreservaat" (north hollands dune reservation) for a 2 hour ride. Well I cycled to the manage so I could take some pics.

Here she's arriving at the national park:

IMG_2133.JPG

I could follow them for a short while on the cycle path:

IMG_2140.JPG

IMG_2150.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

And then they disappeared into the woods:

IMG_0036.JPG

And this was when they returned:

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_2165.JPG

She really had a great day, and loved it. I was of of course proud to see my daughter doing what she loves the most :)

Those photos are fabulous. Thank you so much for updating us on your daughters progressed. I have thought about her often.

She looks so confident and happy and enjoying what for me is the best sport/pastime there is.

She has done really well and accomplished a lot in the last year or so

You have ever right to be proud of her. Give her a hug from me.

Those photos are fabulous. Thank you so much for updating us on your daughters progressed. I have thought about her often.

She looks so confident and happy and enjoying what for me is the best sport/pastime there is.

She has done really well and accomplished a lot in the last year or so.

Thanks for the kind words Sue, she is really enjoying it and is also getting more confident, not only in riding but also generally (in everything).

You have ever right to be proud of her. Give her a hug from me.

Will do :)

Back