France anyone?

Hello and welcome Boadicea! The recipe section on this site is a great place to start, or you might like one of mimimins' members Britmum's website Slimming Eats Slimming World Recipes - Slimming Eats

Today in my local Leclerc I found not only Philadelphia Light (with or without chives) but also the chocolate Philadelphia everyone's been raving about on the forum. It's not light, but is 90 cals or 4.5 syns for 30g. I've not tried it yet.

Milky Ways were on special offer in Lidl - buy one pack (of 9) and get the second one half price. I have to say they're much smaller than I remember, but at 5 syns each they hit the chocolate spot. I freeze mine, so they last longer. Well, they're practically inedible straight out of the freezer, so they're bound to lol. Still not as good value syns-wise as the Carambars, though.

On a totally unrelated subject, I have read today that recent research has found that being bilingual can delay the onset of Alzheimer's by an average of 5 years. It's all to do with continually exercising your brain. Then there are studies underway to link red wine and dark chocolate with delaying the onset of Alzheimer's too. So things are looking pretty good in the Froggy household :D Makes a change from liking everything that's bad for us!

Oh, Leapfrog, what a lovely way to start the day! Wine and chocolate:D
Welcome, boadicea !!!
This week I bit the bullet and ordered fry light from here
Fry Light - Britstore
postage cost a lot, but I hope it's worth it. I thought it would make life easier vis-a-vis oven chips, roast veggies etc.
I have to say I'm impressed with the recipes in the SW cook books - I got a couple second hand from Amazon.

Can one of you ladies tell me what quark is and what would be an equivalent here?

Hi Patchninja. In answer to your question http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_(cheese)

I use either faisselle (you can get 0%) or the little squares of 0% soft cheese, "carré", which are like Philadelphia in texture. You may have to drain the faisselle using the strainer that comes in the pot or a muslin cloth to get the right consistency, as Quark is quite thick. I also make my own fromage blanc, so just leave it to drain longer.

You might also like to read Ermintrude's thread here on almost syn-free cheese http://www.minimins.com/slimming-wo...me-made-soft-cheese-any-flavour-you-like.html

Thanks, Leapfrog. I get the 0%Carré frais and will try the faisselle.

Hey peeps, there's a new flavour of carré frais 0% out - with pink peppercorns and it's really nice. And in my Leclerc the whole range is on buy 2 get 1 free this week. Offers may be regional, though, so do check.

Has anyone tried the chocolate Philadelphia? It is delicious. 30g is 4.5 syns and is enought to smother (and I mean smother) 2 slices of HEX toast. So far only seen it in Leclerc.

And Lidl now do fat free, no added sugar yoghurts in the Linessa range - I guess that makes them syn free. And they are very nice and creamy.

Thanks for the tips.
I love the Carrefour 0%fat and no added sugar yogurts. I'm guessing the fruit ones are 1/2 a syn? I don't eat too many so don't worry too much. Can you put me right?

Hi, I'm going on holiday to France in a few weeks, and I'm panicking about food! I know putting on weight on holiday is inevitable, but I've been working so hard to lose weight and I want to limit the gain as much as possible. We're staying in a place called Terrasson which is not too far from Limoges and I wondered if anyone could give me some advice about what I can buy. I know there will be lots of lovely meat, fish, fruit and vegetables, I tend not to eat bread, and I can take crackers with me, but what is the best low fat spread I can buy? Is Philadephia light widely available? Can I buy cottage cheese? I've gone through the thread and written down names of yogurts etc that I can look out for.

I know I probably sound stupid, but it's a long time since we've had a holiday and I'm really excited but scared at the same time :)

Hello Travels.
I hope I can help you with a few things. Firstly, coming to France, there is NO reason why you should put on any weight. Don't French women have a reputation for being thin? What makes you think you will put on weight?

The place you're coming to is beautiful. You'll be walking your socks off, swimming...... sightseeing. Just lovely.

Are you self-catering? I'm assuming so - here goes.

Bring : your crackers and a bottle of Fry light.
You won't get cottage cheese.
You can get 15% fat butter which you can spread on a cracker but you can't cook with it.
0% yoghurts are everywhere and very good.
0% fromage frais is a godsend. Use it mixed with salt and pepper, a dash of garlic and fresh herbs and top a baked potato, tomato salad.......
Don't put in the herbs, but add some chilli powder and it's wonderful on a sausage, grilled meat or fish.
I haven't seen philly light, but look out for "Carré Frais 0%". It's the same stuff.
For cream, look out for 3%,% or 5% creme fraiche. Also makes great salad dressings or you can add a little Canderel ( sweetner) for putting on strawberries etc.
No question is stupid! It's a foreign land and we're here to help you any way we can.
Ask away!

Got back last Sunday from my annual French holiday - God I loooooove that country!!!!!

Spent 2 weeks in the Dordogne (in my opinion one of the most beautiful places ever). I ate pretty much what I wanted but not stupidly. Cereal for brekkie (with semi milk) and maybe some fruit and one of those lovely little petit suisse gervais things that remind me of my childhood french hols (and I buy the full fat ones!!). Lunch would either be out (omelette salad and a few chips) or at the gite (bread, cheese, pate, cheese, bit of salad and did I mention cheese?). Dinner was mostly bbq with salad, potatoes, pasta etc. Had some lovely little cream cakes from the patisserie one day and a couple of raspberry tarts from the supermarket with squirty cream. Ice creams some days like you do on holiday.

The towns were very steep and I walked around loads of them and had a day canoeing on the Vezere (not doing that river ever again!) and reckon I burned a years worth of calories off that day

Since getting back on Sunday I've had a bit of a nightmare week as my dear friend has gone back to live in the states today so we had afternoon tea out with our girls on Tuesday lunchtime, then a bbq at night. Then I met her for tapas on Wednesday lunchtime

So got weighed at work today (work in a hospital so reckon the scales are pretty accurate) and in the last 4 weeks have put on a pound!!!

I've realised when looking back at what I ate that I dont snack on holiday so I can afford to eat "nicer" stuff - shame I cant put that in to practice here

Am hoping for 3 weeks next year - 1 at the beach and 2 in the Dordogne. Am slightly jealous of all you lot living there

Well done on just putting on the 1 lb jen3. I'm sure the key is keeping active when on holiday. The problem when you live here is you have all that tempting stuff all the time!

My downfall isn't so much the sweet stuff, as I'm not a great fan of pastries, but the cheese and wine! I love the bread too, but find it bloats me and I could eat a whole baguette in one go, as it just doesn't seem to fill me up. So I tend to avoid it except on special occasions. I'm a great fan of the wholemeal crisproll type thingies that all supermarkets tend to do. I buy the ones that have the highest fibre content and count 3 as a HEXB. It works for me instead of fresh bread. Or I have wholemeal sliced bread toasted - somehow toast doesn't have the same bloating effect as fresh bread.

Hello everybody!

I'm so glad I've found this forum! I've been living in France for the past three years. Before moving over I lost 2 stones with Slimming World but have but it all back on and more :cry:. After a trip back to the UK last week to see family and friends I realised how bad it has gotten and so I've decided to try the SW diet again but was scared about going it alone!!

Anyway, it's nice to see I'm not the only one over here!!

MissSophophie, I didn't see this before. Where are you?

DOH, I've just seen you're in Paris!

Last edited:
Back