Freezer Eat Down!

Yesterday Freezer usage for me was 3 x Magnums and 2 x Birds Eye Southern Fried Chicken filletts, all eaten by my Daughter, but not going to make an impact on the "Freezer Eat Down" as the Magnums will have to be replaced, as she has become totally addicted to them since her oral surgery, and has been also struggling with food since having her Brace fitted this week.

*Emsie* said:
After hearing the sort of thing you have in your freezer can you explain what a KATsu curry is please? ;)

Lol Emsie the Cats are still very much alive ;)

It's basically chicken beaten flat
and coated in breadcrumbs (heb)
then baked in the oven gas mark 6
25 minutes

For the curry
2 large onions dry fry slowly to soften not colour
add 1 tablespoon turmeric 1 tablespoon mild curry
powder and a pint of chicken stock simmer 25 minutes

Then blitz in the processor / blender till smooth and creamy

Slice chicken in strips serve with rice and the sauce

Jay - just found this fred! Fantastic.

Emsie - get eating that stuff up chica - that's an amazing list!!

We have an american style fridge/freezer - and the actual freezer side isn't that big.
Only 10" wide. It has 2 * 12" drawers and 2 * 6" shelves so we have to be disciplined.
The problem with American style beasts is that they have the top 15" taken up with the water chiller and ice maker which isn't in action for us as we can't get a water supply to it! We do make ice-cubes and dump them in there occasionally but mostly store things like frozen lemon and orange slices in there.

Like the rest of you, I buy things when they're cheap so we have "Freezer Eat Downs" every few months to clear it out before I can go and do another cheap shop. Actually had a freezer check on Friday as there wasn't enough room to put this weeks bargains in. :eek:
Having a roast baby chicken and homemade chestnut stuffing today that we found in there on Friday! Been there since Xmas which is the only time I make the stuffing. 1 lb of Minced pork makes four portions, we have 1 with Xmas lunch and save the rest. Found 3 of the rascals!

To be honest this is something we've always done and we've had some odd meals in the past. I once got out a pork joint and what I though was some apple sauce. Only to find it was mashed bananas!! Hey ho - he had a pud instead! Why there was mashed nanas in there I don't know as I can't stand the bleddy things!

My mother is the best hoarder I've come across. She goes to the fish mongers every Friday to buy a trout and a some crayfish tails for the weekend. I found a whole drawer of her freezer full of the bleddy things. She just keeps buying them, and not eating them so stuffs them in there.

And yes she has the siege mentality too. I found 24 tins of baked beans in her cupboard. Some dating back to 1995!!!!
The ones older than 2000 got chucked out as the tins were starting to bulge!

Last edited:
Lol Emsie the Cats are still very much alive ;)

It's basically chicken beaten flat
and coated in breadcrumbs (heb)
then baked in the oven gas mark 6
25 minutes

For the curry
2 large onions dry fry slowly to soften not colour
add 1 tablespoon turmeric 1 tablespoon mild curry
powder and a pint of chicken stock simmer 25 minutes

Then blitz in the processor / blender till smooth and creamy

Slice chicken in strips serve with rice and the sauce

Oooh like the sound of that, bit different...when I 'm allowed to buy more chicken I might try it ;) Glad the cats are still alive!

Been shopping today and the only thing I bought for freezer is frozen berries and have only bought stuff to go with the stuff in freezer I already have cos I is a good girl :p

You is a very, very good girl !!!!

Today I have had out 2 child's fish pies....but....all other stuff eaten is from fridge or cupboards apart from my strawberries I bought in aldi this morning! My 'treat' for when watching the footie x

Yesterday's Freezer Eat Down was 3 x Magnums, Peas (both will have to be replaced), and a bag of Young's wholetail scampi, which I cooked for the dog as it was BBE April 2011:eek:

And whilst I was rummaging in one of the drawers for something to feed the dog ;), as I know there are quite a few things that we won't want to eat, so, doggie gets a treat, I found a massive 1.7kg Tesco Finest Top Rump Joint of Beef, which is just the cut that my Son has been asking me to keep an eye out for, as he fancies having a go at a recipe that he has found for it to be cooked on the BBQ in Dijonnaise mustard.....So, it is out defrosting ready for dinner this evening:D

Well this weekend we had frozen mixed veg and frozen peas with our meals and I took out over a kilo of last year's blackcurrants to make jelly with. I need to make room for this years when they are ready!!

I must confess to freezing some home made chicken stock which I use for risotto, I doubt it will be in there for long though!

Not got too much left now, kids chicken things and chips, sausages and 3 pizzas as well as bread and buns which will be worked through for packed lunch.

I will get it emptied and cleaned out :)

I found some Mackerel fillets lurking in the freezer yesterday (lush)
So going to pan fry them tonight add a jacket tatty and beetroot salad

and treat of treats I found rump steak for tonight even though we have been for tapas and a beer this lunch time.

The tapas were lush, just lush.

fillymum said:
and treat of treats I found rump steak for tonight even though we have been for tapas and a beer this lunch time.

The tapas were lush, just lush.

Well jell lol

What a great idea!! We did it with the meat, a wee while ago and it was really good to do.. found all sorts of things too!!!
We buy all our meat from local butchers, who deliver if you spend over £25 (brilliant stuff too!!) but it can get a bit full, and of stuff in mysterious white bags which are unlabelled!!! Def need for another one I think.

Let us know if you find anything exciting!! x

Well, that's my freezer eat-down complete - my freezer and fridge are SW friendly zones!! Well, apart from a bottle of sparkling wine in the fridge which I am currently working hard on getting rid of!

Well, that's my freezer eat-down complete - my freezer and fridge are SW friendly zones!! Well, apart from a bottle of sparkling wine in the fridge which I am currently working hard on getting rid of!

You do realize there are only two ways to get rid of the wine............drink it or give it away.

Well no steak tonight we are still to full from the tapas....................steak tomorrow.

Still got pork chops,mince and sausage.

Well, had my roast chicken and stuffing tonight. Couldn't face it last night as I didn't feel very well and went to bed very early.
The stuffing was one of the best I've ever made - even if I say so myself.
Chicken thighs and salad for lunch tomorrow!

Today's Freezer Eat Down items are defrosting ...... Three Chicken Breasts for curry for me, hubby and daughter, and two pork chops for son.:)

And with the exception of Peas and Magnums, which I had to replace, I bought nothing to go in there when I was shopping yesterday morning.

Back