Freezer Eat Down!

Ah, this is me as well..... I often look in the cupboards and wonder why I have endless tins of beans, soup, tomatoes, grains, pulses and of course, that's not including the freezer! It's just you never know when you'll be snowed in or the shops close or there is indeed a seige!!!

I heard once that you should only replace something once that thing has run out - so don't buy more pasta until you have no pasta left, same goes for beans etc....

I reckon I could buy only fresh fruit, veg and dairy for weeks and still be able to feed us all. It may be odd food combos but it would save so much money!!

Well I am so glad that I am not alone in stockpiling the food for 'The Seige!', as my Hubby blames my excessive shopping on my Mother, who is, if it could almost be possible, worse than me!....Only her and my Dad living there, a larder fridge bigger than mine, and two freezers!:eek:

Going to have to give it a go, and like you, with the exception of fresh produce, and the things that get eaten up really quickly, the aforementioned Peas and Magnums, it could last for weeks.

And of course with the eldest carnivore moving out in a few weeks, I really do need to use up large joints and things for four people!:eek:

You are both much younger than me and I always put my stock piling in the *store* cupboard and the freezer down to being a war baby and remembering rationing and shortages. On second thoughts it could just be a nesting thing, a need to nurture and protect ou loved ones.

Interesting !!!!

Okay I'm game ....
Just done a recon in the freezer and there is plenty there
calling my name so have taken out pork chops to defrost
I've also decided to use up all the bits and pieces lurking
in the kitchen cupboards
I have some dehydrated chipotle chilli in there so I'm thinking
some sort of pork and chipotle stew using up the frozen broad
beans that no one likes lol

Lol just told my dad and he said that's grand love
just don't cook me rat pie
Lol I have frozen rats in my freezer for the snakes

So this is what I found.....
Rosti's from ikea (bought then didn't know how many points were in them so haven't used)
Tesco organic beef joint
2 portions of some kine of mince meal I have frozen for myself to have at some point!
Pack of 50/50 bread rolls
4 slices of ww thick sliced bread
Hovis seed sensations loaf
bag of tesco value every day stir fry
2 x 2 ww sausages(portioned)
8 tesco light choices cumberland sausages
1 ww garlic and herb petit pain
pack of chicken thighs
8 jubblys
6 crumpets
8 ribena lollies
neopolitan ice cream half a tub
1 ww malted danish loaf (and about 3 packets with odd slices in!)
1 pitta bread in random packet ....x2!
1 ww choc desert
1 smoked haddock fillet
1 sag aloo(not used as higher in points than thought!)
1 ww garlic ciabatta
pack of streaky bacon
garden peas
2 packs of 50/50 rolls
brains faggots (out of date dec do I still use?)
ww chicken curry
ww lasagne x2
quorn tikka massalla meal
4 different size portions of christmas cake frozen so I didn't eat!
frozen carrots
bit more sweetcorn in a bag
8 ww sausages
2 packs of mackarel fillets
blueberries
3 quorn sausages
chopped mixed peppers
raspberries
5 mice(for snake)
1 ww caramel crunch desert
bag of mixed veg
portion of flank steak
ww chips
more 50/50 bread rolls
2 x 2 rice infusions
sprouts(didn't like these so havent used!)
quorn meatballs
chopped tomatoes
50/50 bread
50/50 pitta pockets
1 petit pain looking v.sorry for itself
potato waffles
cheese n tomato pizza
half a pack of chicken dippers
6 soft white rolls
half a bag of sweetcorn
2 light choices garlic baguettes
half a bag of mcains french fries

4 beef burgers
16 fish fingers
4 birds eye crispy chcken
4 battered fish fillets
3 pizza fingers

So 2 weeks today what will I have!? Going to try really hard not to restock and to use up what I have but it feels very strange! Ha ha why have I got it all then if I not going to use it!?
We don't all eat all these things which is why there is some stuff in there and other stuff I would love to eat up but better not (mmmmm christmas cake! Maybe I need to take some into work for the staffroom!?) Need to plan some meals now!

ooooo we are currently a few days into attempting to clear out and eat freezer in effort to save money and defrost and then prob start building it up again.
i wont post a list because i'd be here forever!!! i have an american style fridge freezer and the freezer side is full and also a same height but bigger drawers stand alone freezer.....and they are chocca!!! we are addicted to bargain shopping so only paid half price at most for it all and often a bit less...but its hard not to grab those bargains when you see them....must resist for this challenge!!!

have just took out 2 packs of lamb rump steaks for a hotpot tonight :)

*Emsie* said:
Lol theres mice in ours for my sons snake

Lol we have those as well for the Corn snakes and our fantasy frogs
but big boy Khan ( Burmese Python ) has rats

Emsie had a chuckle at your list

So today's dinner is in the slow cooker
so yesterday I defrosted Pork Chops so
I've done a Pork and chipotle slow cooked stew with broad beans
and just about to delve into the freezer to see what's there
for tomorrow

Brilliant list Emsie, must have taken you ages!

I won't attempt a list, as the freezer is so full, and everything sort of fits together, as most of it is meat frozen in freezer bags, and of course makes a funny shape when squashed in a small space, so wouldn't fit back in if I emptied it all out:eek:

But the good news is that I didn't buy anything to go in there when I went shopping yesterday, but had to put a pork loin joint in my Mother's freezer that we wouldn't have the opportunity to eat over the weekend.

So this is what I found.....
Rosti's from ikea (bought then didn't know how many points were in them so haven't used)
Tesco organic beef joint
2 portions of some kine of mince meal I have frozen for myself to have at some point!
Pack of 50/50 bread rolls
4 slices of ww thick sliced bread
Hovis seed sensations loaf
bag of tesco value every day stir fry
2 x 2 ww sausages(portioned)
8 tesco light choices cumberland sausages
1 ww garlic and herb petit pain
pack of chicken thighs
8 jubblys
6 crumpets
8 ribena lollies
neopolitan ice cream half a tub
1 ww malted danish loaf (and about 3 packets with odd slices in!)
1 pitta bread in random packet ....x2!
1 ww choc desert
1 smoked haddock fillet
1 sag aloo(not used as higher in points than thought!)
1 ww garlic ciabatta
pack of streaky bacon
garden peas
2 packs of 50/50 rolls
brains faggots (out of date dec do I still use?)
ww chicken curry
ww lasagne x2
quorn tikka massalla meal
4 different size portions of christmas cake frozen so I didn't eat!
frozen carrots
bit more sweetcorn in a bag
8 ww sausages
2 packs of mackarel fillets
blueberries
3 quorn sausages
chopped mixed peppers
raspberries
5 mice(for snake)
1 ww caramel crunch desert
bag of mixed veg
portion of flank steak
ww chips
more 50/50 bread rolls
2 x 2 rice infusions
sprouts(didn't like these so havent used!)
quorn meatballs
chopped tomatoes
50/50 bread
50/50 pitta pockets
1 petit pain looking v.sorry for itself
potato waffles
cheese n tomato pizza
half a pack of chicken dippers
6 soft white rolls
half a bag of sweetcorn
2 light choices garlic baguettes
half a bag of mcains french fries

4 beef burgers
16 fish fingers
4 birds eye crispy chcken
4 battered fish fillets
3 pizza fingers

So 2 weeks today what will I have!? Going to try really hard not to restock and to use up what I have but it feels very strange! Ha ha why have I got it all then if I not going to use it!?
We don't all eat all these things which is why there is some stuff in there and other stuff I would love to eat up but better not (mmmmm christmas cake! Maybe I need to take some into work for the staffroom!?) Need to plan some meals now!

Wow !!!!

Emsie I am so mega impressed with that list. You can live out of your freezer for 2/3 weeks....................my goodness what an amazing saving !!

The mice sound truly delicious lol.

Makes my freezer look empty.

Just think how much you could save this week.:)

This is all I have in my freezer just in case I can't get out.

1x Organic diced beef
1x Organic lean steak mince
2x Pork and apple burgers
2 boneless salmon fillets
12 fish fingers(haven't a clue why they are in there)
2x cod steak in butter sauce
1x 4 cod fillets
1x 4 haddock fillets
Couple bags of frozen veg.

ERMMMMM!!!!! Not get out for how long. That is a veritaqble siege list.................you can eat like Lords and Ladies for a couple of weeks.

I am devising a rat and mice casserole dish for you and Emsie. I am sure somewhere in the world there must be a civilisation that finds it acceptable to eat rodants................yuk !!!

OH LOOK !!! I knew I would find some recipes sommewhere................

Grilled Rats Bordeaux Style (Entrecote à la bordelaise)
Alcoholic rats inhabiting wine cellars are skinned and eviscerated, brushed with a thick sauce of olive oil and crushed shallots, and grilled over a fire of broken wine barrels.

What won't the French do next?

In West Africa, however, rats are a major item of diet. the giant rat (Cricetomys), the cane rat (Thryonomys), the common house mouse, and other species of rats and mice are all eaten. According to a United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization report, they now comprise of over 50 percent of the locally produced meat eaten in some parts of Ghana. Between December 1968 and June 1970, 258,206 pounds of cane-rat meat alone were sold in one market in Accra! This is a local recipe that shows the South American influence on West African cuisine.

Stewed Cane Rat
Skin and eviscerate the rat and split it lengthwise. Fry until brown in a mixture of butter and peanut oil. Cover with water, add tomatoes or tomato purée, hot red peppers, and salt. Simmer the rat until tender and serve with rice.

Stuffed Dormice / Ancient Rome
Prepare a stuffing of dormouse meat or pork, pepper, pine nuts, broth, asafoetida, and some garum (substitute anchovy paste.) Stuff the mice and sew them up. Bake them in an oven on a tile.

Roasted Field Mice (Raton de campo asado) / Mexico
Skin and eviscerate field mice. Skewer them and roast over an open fire or coals. These are probably great as hors d'oeuvres with margaritas or "salty dogs."

Farley Mowat also gives this innovative arctic explorer's recipe for souris à la crème.

Mice in Cream (Souris à la crème)
Skin, gut and wash some fat mice without removing their heads. Cover them in a pot with ethyl alcohol and marinate 2 hours. Cut a piece of salt pork or sowbelly into small dice and cook it slowly to extract the fat. Drain the mice, dredge them thoroughly in a mixture of flour, pepper, and salt, and fry slowly in the rendered fat for about 5 minutes. Add a cup of alcohol and 6 to 8 cloves, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Prepare a cream sauce, transfer the sautéed mice to it, and warm them in it for about 10 minutes before serving.

Sounds like a gourmet's survival list to me.

Jay thanks for this really good topic !!!

Today's freezer eat down has consisted of 2 Birds Eye southern fried porions and 3 Magnus, but they will have to be repaced, becaause my daughter is struggling to eat since her oral surgery and upper brace being fitted.

Well we took out chicken curry id made! Had tht! And tomorro i will get prawns! Chilli n garlic!

A packet of chicken will b coming out for taster night at weigh in this week. Gonna make chilli chicken bites and a bbq too. Might try make the healthy bbq too.

Wow !!!!

Emsie I am so mega impressed with that list. You can live out of your freezer for 2/3 weeks....................my goodness what an amazing saving !!

ERMMMMM!!!!! Not get out for how long. That is a veritaqble siege list.................you can eat like Lords and Ladies for a couple of weeks.

I am devising a rat and mice casserole dish for you and Emsie. I am sure somewhere in the world there must be a civilisation that finds it acceptable to eat rodants................yuk !!!

Alcoholic rats inhabiting wine cellars are skinned and eviscerated, brushed with a thick sauce of olive oil and crushed shallots, and grilled over a fire of broken wine barrels.

In West Africa, however, rats are a major item of diet. the giant rat (Cricetomys), the cane rat (Thryonomys), the common house mouse, and other species of rats and mice are all eaten. According to a United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization report, they now comprise of over 50 percent of the locally produced meat eaten in some parts of Ghana. Between December 1968 and June 1970, 258,206 pounds of cane-rat meat alone were sold in one market in Accra! This is a local recipe that shows the South American influence on West African cuisine.

Stewed Cane Rat
Skin and eviscerate the rat and split it lengthwise. Fry until brown in a mixture of butter and peanut oil. Cover with water, add tomatoes or tomato purée, hot red peppers, and salt. Simmer the rat until tender and serve with rice.

Prepare a stuffing of dormouse meat or pork, pepper, pine nuts, broth, asafoetida, and some garum (substitute anchovy paste.) Stuff the mice and sew them up. Bake them in an oven on a tile.

Skin and eviscerate field mice. Skewer them and roast over an open fire or coals. These are probably great as hors d'oeuvres with margaritas or "salty dogs."

Farley Mowat also gives this innovative arctic explorer's recipe for souris à la crème.

Skin, gut and wash some fat mice without removing their heads. Cover them in a pot with ethyl alcohol and marinate 2 hours. Cut a piece of salt pork or sowbelly into small dice and cook it slowly to extract the fat. Drain the mice, dredge them thoroughly in a mixture of flour, pepper, and salt, and fry slowly in the rendered fat for about 5 minutes. Add a cup of alcohol and 6 to 8 cloves, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Prepare a cream sauce, transfer the sautéed mice to it, and warm them in it for about 10 minutes before serving.

Ooh lush Sue you have given me so many ideas
and there was me just thinking I do a bit of

RATatouille ;)

Fantasy frogs? and its a corn snake the mice the mice are for though the bloomin thing escaped Friday but luckily we found it! Glad I made you chuckle lol I think the list will help me remember whats in there and plan my meals with the foods otherwise because its so disorganised in there I just forget! x

Wow !!!!

Stewed Cane Rat

Theres a rat in my kitchen what am I gonna do?.......grill it? stew it?? decisions decisions :p

Yes seeing it listed has made it more useful to me and have got few meal ideas...roast beef today (and even better hubby's cooking it) stir fry, chicken casserole and sausage dishes! I don't tend to eat the fishfingers/beefburgers they are what hubby and kids have but I could check the points on them and see if I can have some of them too with veggies etc

I love this sort of thread/idea :eek:

Back