Friend dies whilst on LL

Evee2000

I've been quite happily losing weight on my second attempt at CD. Have lost 1 stone in 4 weeks - which I've felt brilliant about.
Last night I was speaking to my step mum and she told me about her colleague/friend who has been on LL and lost 6 stone. Step mum then went on to tell me that this girl died last week, out of the blue. I believe it was her heart, but step mum put it down to the diet (as have others). Now, I've gone into VLCD with my eyes wide open - and I understand that with this girl who lost her life, the diet would be the obvious excuse for her sudden demise. However, it has rattled me a bit. I've started reading various articles, from nutritionalists, who condemn this way of dieting (body starts to eat away at muscle, not fat, and of course the heart is a muscle, etc etc). I'm concerned. Can anyone reassure me, that I'm doing the right thing? I feel great!
Thanks!

When you read sudden deaths people on vlcd you assume that it is the diet but most are extremely morbidly obese and not being funny is a walking heartattack, I know the weight i was I was alot more at risk health wise than losing the diet doing a vlcd. But it is for each person to research the diet and do what they feel is best for them xx

julesrush
cdc norwich

Hi Evee, blimey - that's shocking.

I do W8 (another VLCD) but eat food as well - and I would reckon that LL is perfectly safe or else they would not be able to sell it.

Maybe there was another complication with your friend that meant she was not an ideal candidate for the diet - just making a guess really as can't see how the diet could cause such a drastic outcome.

LRO xx

i also knew a girl who lost a lot of weight on LL then died but to be honest she was really obese and it could have been alot of things and before she died she was the happiest she had ever been
i lost over 10 stone on LL/CD over 3 years agon i did put back on 7 but that was due to unfortunate circumstances i too nearly died but that was when my tummy tuck went wrong but here i am again losing my weight on the cambridge to be honest being overweight is not good for your health so any thing you do about it is a good thing i reckon when its your time to go you just have to go enjoy life as much as you can and if being thinner makes you happier i know it does me then go for it just remember have all 3 /4 packs and keep drinking your water and you should be fine people who are not overweight always find fault with this diet yet when we are eating ourselves to death no one says a bloody thing! i find that so strange

how many cals a day do you have if you have a stomach bypass or banding just wondered as the article mentions cals?,and they are usually supervised by doctors.

That's an old one, and not someone who died last week.

Matilda also didn't die because of the diet. I haven't read the article in the link above, but I remember the case well.

The coronor said that the diet had nothing to do with her death.

Very sad case though :(

Matilda also didn't die because of the diet. I haven't read the article in the link above, but I remember the case well.

I would imagine that my step mum's friend had some other complication that only manifested itself after she had lost weight. Will keep you posted.

I have to agree with you all that this is a really good diet and it has to be governed or the company couldnt sell products. I've lost 3 stone and feel so much healthier, fit and able than i did carrying all that extra weight. I got out of breath just walking the length of myself. I'm sure my body was under a whole lot more stress with my terrible eating habits and lack of exercise than it is now.

I would imagine that my step mum's friend had some other complication that only manifested itself after she had lost weight. Will keep you posted.

Yes, please do.

It's strange because someone said that somebody else died whilst doing CD last week

The fact is, to date...well until last week, nobody has died because of the UK VLCDs.

If they did, the papers would be on to it in a flash. In fact, the papers would be on to it in a flash regardless ;) But they haven't :confused:

The sad fact of life is that people die. They die when they are on WW, SW, no diet, healthy eating, eating everything.

they die when they are at work, watching the television, crossing the road, whatever.

But of course, if they happen to be on a VLCD when they die, people generally assume that the diet is someway to blame.

I'll be really interested in hearing the outcome of the post mortem.

Always sad when people die for whatever reason :(

yes this was the girl who went to my LL group over 2 years ago and like i said she was the happiest she had ever been in her whole life

i have to be completely honest this thread has unsettled me a bit about this diet :( hmmm

it had nothing to do with the diet honest like KD said NOONE has died from LL or CD to date you were so happy on your last post just think next year you will be so happy and be able to wear whatever you choose!!!!!! believe me it is so worth it!!!!!

Not LL specifically but this is part of what he said:
Camden coroner Dr Andrew Reid recorded an unascertained verdict after being told that rapid weight loss can kill.
Last night obesity expert Prof John Garrow said 500 calories a day was risky and anyone on a diet should eat at least 800.
He added: 'It is almost certain this young lady's death was caused by damage to her heart due to rapid weight loss.'
He added that dieting too fast can reduce the lean tissue in the heart.
It is a very very sad case
xx

Last night obesity expert Prof John Garrow said 500 calories a day was risky and anyone on a diet should eat at least 800.
He added: 'It is almost certain this young lady's death was caused by damage to her heart due to rapid weight loss.'
He added that dieting too fast can reduce the lean tissue in the heart.
It is a very very sad case
xx

But remember, not last night as you have quoted. John Garrow retired a while ago, and very much doubt he's kept up with modern developments.

Besides, John Garrow has always been anti-VLCD. He must have been gutted when the COMA report showed them to be safe :D and besides, VLCDs have been used by over 20 million people in the last 20 years. Even GPs and consultants prescribe it.

At Matilda’s inquest the coroner was not persuaded that there was sufficient evidence for an underlying cause of death. He did not implicate LighterLife in any way.

BTW, surveys of sudden death in England say that 3,500 unexpected sudden deaths occur each year in the 16-64 age groups anyway :(.

Back