From Hippo to Gazelle!

Hippopotamum

Silver Member
Hi Everyone,

After being inspired by reading other weight loss diaries I've decided to write one of my own, hopefully it'll be the thing that keeps me on track, nothing else has so far and I'll try anything if I think it'll help!!! The reason why I'm this overweight, in a nutshell, is crisps, chocolate and alcohol, and I live like I'm on holiday every day, not helped by the fact we live by the sea! :p

I've set lots of targets and written them all down in a book, every half stone, 5%, 10%, BMI dropping a point, etc, and 3 mini goals, first one is to get under 20st. Now, my motivation for doing this diary is to try to kick me up the bum (or shame myself into sticking to it properly!) and shame me into staying on track! Feel free to join me. :) xxxx

Last edited:
Back from weigh-in and raring to go, so only down from here on in! :) Glad I went back though, I really have to do it this time. x

Last edited:
Thank you little Hippo (fab name by the way! :)) any words of encouragement (and kicks up the bum) gratefully received! x

We got back from our weekend away this afternoon, after unpacking, checking e-mails, etc, I've just stepped on the scales and I've lost 2.5lb, that's not bad at all, although my weight often dips a little mid-week and goes back up by the Thursday weigh-in at class, so I'm not going to be too complacent.

So, after my mini holiday I haven't got anything to stop me sticking to this until my next holiday in August, which should give me a good run of it. :) xxxx

Woke up raring to go, unusually, I tend to want to extend the holiday as much as possible, which often means an extra day (or two) of excess eating/drinking but today I woke up planning the day ahead quite sensibly, that might mean I'm actually starting to take this seriously!

Today's EE food plan;

Br- Scrambled eggs and canned tomatoes on toast (HE A (milk) and B)
Lunch- Jacket potato with ham and salad (Iceberg lettuce, grated carrot, sliced cucumber and baby plum tomatoes).
Dinner- Cottage pie (mince, onions, passatta, celery, etc) with broccoli, carrots and sweetcorn.

+ Highlights hot chocolate-(2)
2 finger KitKat-(5.5)
and Quavers-(4.5) = 12 syns.

If it stops raining we'll walk to the park this afternoon with our youngest, it's only 10 mins there, 10 mins back and a 10 minute walk around the park, but it's a start. :) I've got loads of cleaning, washing and ironing to do so better get to it. x

Last edited:
I tried the SW Cottage pie recipe last night, it was okay, but it tasted more like a bolognaise topped with mash, which was nice for a change, but different to what I wanted, I think I'll stick to using some of my syns for gravy from now on in my cottage pie. I roasted some carrots and potatoes and just served it with sweetcorn instead of the broccoli, as it was a bit dry.

I didn't get out for a walk yesterday, it rained all day! So we'll try again today, it's looking like a nicer day today, I might even walk to pick my youngest up from school (an hour round trip) if it stays nice. :)

Today's plan;

Br- Boiled eggs on 1x toast (HE B)
Lunch- Savoury rice, sweetcorn and peas.
Dinner- Chicken and bacon wrap, cauli, broccoli, carrots and mashed potato (nothing added) with gravy (5)

Milk in tea- (HE A)
Vanilla Muller
Grapes
Quavers (4.5)
Hot chocolate (Highlights) (2) = 11.5 syns

Weigh-in is tomorrow night and my scales are still saying 2lb down, which I'd be happy with (wish I could stop weighing myself every day though) after a weekend away, so I hope it stays that way. :)

Last edited:
I managed to stick to the plan yesterday, made the tough decision to leave uni and still didn't go off the rails, I really hope I see a loss tonight. I feel a lot better now I've finally made a decision though, onwards and upwards. :) I've got an awful cough, my cold started on Friday (just as we got to the caravan!) it wasn't too bad, but now it's gone onto my chest and I sound like I'm barking when I cough, especially through the night, not nice!

Today's meal plan;

Br- Weetabix and SS milk (HE A&B)
lunch- Egg salad (lettuce, cucumber, baby plum tomatoes, etc)
Dinner- Chicken, pasta, garlic, quark, sweetcorn, peppers and mushrooms.

'Free' snacks- 2x Satsumas, vanilla Muller and grapes
plus- Freddo (5) Highlights (2) and Quavers (4.5) = 11.5 syns

I'm going to drag my husband along for a nice stroll at the beach this morning while the kids are at school and when they get in we'll have a walk to the park, maybe take the little one's bike with us, that'll get us all moving!

I weigh-in this evening, so fingers crossed. :) x

I lost 3lb, and I also went down from a BMI of 52 to 51.8 :) (on the ticker!) very happy with that. xxxx

Yay congrats young lady :) xx

Today's plan;

Br- Toast (HE B) Flora light (2) and vegemite. Orange.
Lunch- Savoury rice, peas and sweetcorn. Muller.
Dinner- Pasta bake (Chicken breast, pasta, passatta, onions, garlic, mushrooms).

HE A- 250mls semi skimmed milk in tea.
Maltesers (9.5) Highlights (2)= 11.5syns

My eldest son has decided he wants to join me doing this plan (although he won't come to the class) he's recently gained half a stone quite quickly (birthday, easter, holiday) and he wants to be back in the 'healthy' weight range for his BMI so he has around a stone and a half to lose. He's 5ft 9 and size 11 feet, so he doesn't look 'big' just a bit stocky, but if he wants to diet, I'd rather he was doing it this way than any other. x

Last edited:
Still feeling sorry for myself today, sore throat and an awful headache, I assume from coughing so much. I'm itching to get out for a walk but just standing up starts a coughing fit! I might take everyone out to have a slow stroll at the beach later.

Plan for today is;

Br- toast (HE B) and vegemite and 2 satsumas.
Lunch- Jacket potato and ham salad (boiled egg, lettuce, cucumber, etc)
Dinner- Chicken, new potatoes, broccoli, carrots and peas with 1x yorkshire pud (2.5) and gravy (5)

HE A- milk in tea
Snacks- Vanilla Muller, grapes.

Syns- Highlights hot chocolate (2) teaspoon of honey (1) (plus syns from dinner 7.5) = 10.5 syns.

xxxx

We did get out for that walk yesterday. We had a (slow) walk at the beach, our youngest has a project to do at school so we had to collect flat pebbles to paint and driftwood, etc, it was freezing at the beach and because it looked like glorious sunshine before we went out I was just wearing a jumper and the lightest skirt (the one I wear to weigh-in when I think I haven't done very well, lol!) I own! We collected our bits and pieces and when I got in I checked the newsletter for what else we needed and it turns out he didn't need it for today, it's next MONTH! Lol! I really should learn to read the whole section properly! :)

We also went to the park with his bike and had a run about there (me tagging behind, stopping to cough up a lung every few feet, lol!) so that was nice too, but we lost track of time and didn't get home until nearly nine o'clock!

Today I haven't done great, I've had a sausage sandwich on white bread! Not sure where to start in counting that! I think it's 4.5 per sausage and 4.5 for each slice of bread, 2 for the (low fat soya) spread and 2 for the ketchup= 22syns. Oh and that small bag of maltesers I followed it up with...is that about 27.5 syns altogether?!

So for dinner I'm planning chicken risotto, which is syn free and won't be having my Highlights to er, counteract the extra syns I've had today (just go with it... :rolleyes:)

I will not be doing my usual, ("Oh, well, I've ruined today now, may as well have a big bar of Cadbury's Caramel, a multi-pack of crisps and a Chinese...") instead I'll pretend it didn't happen and continue as I should!

Onwards and upwards. :) xxxx

I've not been able to get on much as my laptop is playing up but I've had a few days of feeling sorry for myself, I'm still poorly with this cold, my chest is bad and I feel exhausted but I've seen someone and I haven't got an infection, I still feel absolutely rubbish though! I didn't go to class this week either, so I don't know how I've done.

today's menu;

breakfast- Ham salad sandwich (HE B and 2syns for the Flora light) and a bag of quavers (4.5) at 11-ish
lunch- Jacket potato, philadelphia light (HE A) ham and salad.
dinner tonight- bolognaise pasta bake

Curly Wurly (6) and a Highlights Hot chocolate (2) - 14.5 syns.

Not doing much in the way of exercise unfortunately, I'm getting out of breath just walking to the car on the drive, so I'm just trying to stick to the plan and getting out for a light stroll when I can, I might go to the park in the car this evening and walk a bit, have a seat, walk again, have a seat, like a little old lady, lol! :) xxxx

Hey sweets, I can sympathize with getting out of breath so easily, its horrible isn't it? I am like that after carrying my 15 month up the stairs-Thats one of the reason that got my bottom into gear and realized I needed to be serious about losing some weight. Sorry you are still feeling poorly, alls I want to eat is rubbish `when I am ill, but know my body needs lots of vitamins. I have only just started and am learning the syns in thing so its good to get pointers from everyone's diary :) Have a good evening.

xxx

Hey sweets, I can sympathize with getting out of breath so easily, its horrible isn't it? I am like that after carrying my 15 month up the stairs-Thats one of the reason that got my bottom into gear and realized I needed to be serious about losing some weight. Sorry you are still feeling poorly, alls I want to eat is rubbish `when I am ill, but know my body needs lots of vitamins. I have only just started and am learning the syns in thing so its good to get pointers from everyone's diary :) Have a good evening.

xxx

Thanks Jules, I did feel like eating rubbish yesterday but I didn't do too bad, I chewed on a Curly Wurly for about 10 minutes, well worth the 6 syns!

I do get out of breath easily anyway at this size, (I genuinely don't think I could carry my five year old up the stairs), and it's even worse with this cold, but I do feel a bit better today so I'll definitely have a wander to the park with my hubby and the kids this afternoon.

I find it a bit tough sometimes with syns, especially as until recently I was swapping between SW and WW so sometimes get my points and syns mixed up, I still make the odd mistake, things changing doesn't help either! Once you get your head round it it's fab though. x

I've woken up feeling much better this morning, Hubby is about to put the meat in the oven (that sounds rude! lol!) and then we're all off out for a walk to the park. I don't know if the short walks actually help that much with my weight loss in itself, but they definitely make me feel better and like I'm actually doing something, so I seem to stick to the plan better when I walk every day, if that makes sense?

Today's plan-

Breakfast/lunch- 2 Scrambled eggs and canned tomatoes on toast (HE A&B + Flora light (2))
Dinner- Chicken and bacon wrap, mashed potato (nothing added), broccoli, carrots, swede, gravy (5syns) 2x Yorkshires (5syns)

Snacks- Vanilla Muller and raspberries, Highlights Hot chocolate (2)
HE A- 250ml SS milk- half in cups of tea and half in scrambled egg.
Syns = 14

I bought a Sweet and Sour Mugshot to try too, but I hated the Roast Chicken one so not sure whether to give it a go!

I'm having a little trouble doing the 1/3rd Superfree Veg on Every meal, I love veg and try to always have my five a day minimum, but I can't afford to have salad on every single thing I eat and I don't really eat much in the way of fruit to have with it instead (although I am working on that) sometimes I just want to have a ham and tomato sandwich and not stress about it! I understand the reasons behind it, but when I last lost weight on SW I didn't do that and still managed to restrict my portions and managed to lose about 7st! There seems to be too many 'rules' lately, it's not as relaxed as it used to be. Sorry, moan over! :)

xxxx

Glad you feel better hun.

being out of breath is horrible :(

Ohhhhhh I love curly Wurly, 6 syns is good, i found out the cadburys Freddy frogs are 5 syns, but a curly wurly would take longer to eat :)

Oh I would get in a total muddle if i had ww points in my head too :)

I agree with what you saying about the walking, If i have a walk I am less likley to mess up my day eating rubbish, cause I feel i have already done some good through walking so i dont want to muck that up -I hope that make sence!

Its good your hubby supports you by going for a walk, I am lucky to have a good hubby too.

I am sorry I don't get the 1/3 super food just yet- I don't get it at ever meal, maybe it will come in time, not sure. If you lost the weight last time I am sure you will loose it again this time, tweak it to what works for you hun.

Hope you have a good eve. xxx

Back