From Maximus to Minimus - coming soon!

On EE my book says have superfree as snacks! Or failing that free and as a LAST resort hex's. Even on Red/Green it says snack on superfree.

Although there is lots of discussion about this on various freds!

Oh crickey - haven't heard that before :eek:
As I said, there is a huge amount of discussion about this on lots of freds.

Many people say you MUST have hex's at meal times, others say why force them down if you've already had sufficient!

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with having a hex as a snack but as I said, this would actually mean you are not 100% according to my book.

My book is however 2 years old. Waiting for delivery of new one from DD. :D

Bev,

I haven't read the threads on this matter but I can't see how it's not allowed to have HEx's as snacks. Some of the Hex's are deliberately packed as 'grab and go' eg babybels, dairylea cheese portions, HiFi's and other cereal bars. However I agree that if you use your HEx's as part of a meal you will eat less calories in general. I also agree that if you are struggling with losses and eating your Hex's as 'extra's' then it is one way to shake things up. Having said that, Steve is not struggling at the moment - yes, he had 1 week of STS and being on plan, but 1 week does not make a trend (as Dawn will know.....!)

Just my opinion :)

Gail x

Just checked the wording in my book and on the SW website.

What it actually says about superfree food is:-

Fill 1/3 of your plate with Superfree foods and make them your first choice between meals.

It sort of implies under the free section that provided you fill 1/3 of your plate with Superfree foods then yto can have as many free foods as you like - but doesn't say anything about snacking on them.

And as far as Hex's are concerned it only implies that you should have these in combination with other foods and says absolutely nothing about snacking on them

Ermintrude where are ya?;)

Of course superfree foods should be first choice as snacks, then free foods, then hex's, and finally syns.

We'll have to agree to disagree about the drink/wine theory (and that's all it is a theory) as I have aboslutely no interest in drink as the massive syn value is better spent on something I want or even something I miss. For example, if I was to eat superfree as snacks EXCLUSIVELY etc. then I'd not need any syns at all.

Just to clarify 15 syns equates to 300 calories, and as we all know, whilst SW is NOT about countilng calories, neither does it discriminate. 15 syns of crisps, is no better or worse than chocolate, cheese, nuts, ice cream, bread, butter, even beer, wine or vodka.

Problem with booze (and this is only my personal observation) is that every single overweight or obese person I know at work, or at group without exception all drink, and without exception they all "flexi-syn" loosely translated as "fail" - that might seem a little controversial, but it is my experience;)

PS between meals, I always have at least my 5-a-day (today was banana, apple, plum, pear, apricot and Kiwi + salad!) mostly superfree.

Maximus said:

Of course superfree foods should be first choice as snacks, then free foods, then hex's, and finally syns.

We'll have to agree to disagree about the drink/wine theory (and that's all it is a theory) as I have aboslutely no interest in drink as the massive syn value is better spent on something I want or even something I miss. For example, if I was to eat superfree as snacks EXCLUSIVELY etc. then I'd not need any syns at all.

Just to clarify 15 syns equates to 300 calories, and as we all know, whilst SW is NOT about countilng calories, neither does it discriminate. 15 syns of crisps, is no better or worse than chocolate, cheese, nuts, ice cream, bread, butter, even beer, wine or vodka.

Problem with booze (and this is only my personal observation) is that every single overweight or obese person I know at work, or at group without exception all drink, and without exception they all "flexi-syn" loosely translated as "fail" - that might seem a little controversial, but it is my experience;)

PS between meals, I always have at least my 5-a-day (today was banana, apple, plum, pear, apricot and Kiwi + salad!) mostly superfree.

What you are doing is perfectly great. As you said it worked before and it will work again. You know your issue is the inability to do as much body magic at the moment but assuming you don't over do it you will gradually work up to getting back to the great amounts you were doing before.

Whether you use your Syns on wine, crisps, chocolate or whatever is totally up to you. They all have the same equivalent value and surely that's the advantage of the plan, you can have whatever you enjoy most.

My only comment is don't be too harsh on yourself.you are doing very well so as long as you don't feel you're depriving yourself lots then keep doing what you're doing now.

Hope you've had a good day x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

What a great idea Steve, using snacks to make sure you get your five a day! That ones definitely going on my list. :)

I've never come across this argument before, and tbh its never crossed my mind that I shudnt snack on hexes.

There are quite a few hexes that simply can't be incorporated fully as part of a meal eg. Ryvita minis. They are a snack and can't really be used for anything else.

And if you DO incorporate a hex a and b into your meals eg. cereal and milk for breakfast, it just means you haven't used up syns you might otherwise have used on a different cereal. So as hexes are approx 6 syns each, you've saved 12 syns for later.

You could just as easily have 12 syns of Frosties and milk, and save your hexes for a hi fi bar and a chunk of cheddar.

I think its swings and roundabouts tbh. At the end of the day, Hexes are just 6 syns with extra fibre/calcium attached to them. As long as u have them every day, I can't see that it matters exactly in what capacity they're consumed.

In fact, if you were to completely fill up on superfree and free foods, there may even be a danger of not being able to fit all the hexes in, and they're a key part to the plan.

Personally, I always use a hex b on toast or cereal for breakfast as it means I'm not having to use up my syns, and I can choose to spend them on a variety of other foods.

But if I'm on a plan where I can have TWO hex B's, the second is invariably a hi fi bar...cos I love em!

And whilst I agree wholeheartedly that IDEALLY snacks should be superfree, then free, then hexes then syns...I see this more as a recommendation than a hard and fast rule.

The way the book is written makes it open to different interpretations.
But I can't see any reference that specifically states u should not use hexes as snacks...or maybe I'm just a bit thick :)

How eloquently put Dawn :). The only bit I might still debate would be that I think snacks should be ideally be superfree (full stop !) but can be Hex's, syns or combined free/superfree (as minimum 1/3 superfree). If you choose to snack on other stuff, I think there's little in it between the others - yes free food is 'free' but it's still got calories and it's not limited (unlike Hex's and syns).

Ooh. I love a good debate :D

Gail x

Sent from my iPhone

Well put, both (all?) of you.

Except that I'd put "free" food as last on my list of things to snack on.

It's always good to eat superfree first. Definitely.
But it is important to have our HEXs, and as Dawnie says, many of them are designed to be eaten snack-style.
It's also important to have some syns, and some of those are definitely snack types of things.

But in my opinion, if you're needing more of the standard free food as snacks, then you're not getting your meal sizes right. And (particularly if you're on EE) you can't snack just on free food, because you'd have to add superfree with it, and then it's as if you're adding another meal into your day.

I know people do snack on things like mugshots, pasta pots etc, but I've never really understood that.
A mugshot is a big enough intake of calories to count as a small meal. Thinking you can have another one in between meals, just because it's free, to me is setting yourself up to fail.
Would you have eaten something as big as that in between meals if you were trying to lose weight on any other plan? No.
I'd even question whether you'd eat something that substantial between meals even if you weren't dieting!
So eating free food as snacks, to me, is kind of abusing the fact that SW is such a generous eating plan. I'm sure we'd do better without it!

Sorry. I know that's not exactly the official line. But it's just my thoughts.

End of the sermon according to Sarah!

Oh...

Er...

Morning Steve :wavey:

Hope you're having a good day at work :)

No hijacking of threads going on here...:eek:

Nope...:whistle:

None whatsoever...:innocent0002:

Noooooooo sirrrreeeeee ... :479: :bolt:

Dawn and eloquent in the same sentence!! - rubbish come back Bev lol.

Good news Bev, I'm on the white wine!! - bad news is, I really shouldn't be drinking at work, but hey, research is research right girlies?

Hic! A pundred her cent fo sar today and had 15 extra ab's and my five syns a day (inc dodgy photocopier pics) - also found out my boss was extra easy too!! - TMI? I blame the drink;)

S

Steady on, Steve!
I think the wine-drinking is prob best kept to after-work hours.
But I'm sure you're fine with all those extra HEXs. Not a problem.

I have to agree Steve when it comes to booze... I doubt many people measure the shot of vodka or wine at a party etc., or can stop at just one or even keep count at times;). I know I was one of those people that was flexi with booze which definitely hindered my weight loss. Since giving it up, I have really enjoyed the plan and lost 2.5 pounds last week. I am converted! I am not saying I am never going to drink again but will have occasional drinking times at special events such as my 40th, a wedding etc. when I will take a flexi day rather than cutting back on food in order to drink which I think is a bad habit to get in to. I am having a dry January and am even thinking of extending that to February.

Good luck and keep up the good work x

PS I will also allow some alcohol when I am at target but will never revert to my old habits as I am pretty sure it's what caused most of my weight problems in the first place.

Dawn and eloquent in the same sentence!! - rubbish come back Bev lol.

Good news Bev, I'm on the white wine!! - bad news is, I really shouldn't be drinking at work, but hey, research is research right girlies?

Hic! A pundred her cent fo sar today and had 15 extra ab's and my five syns a day (inc dodgy photocopier pics) - also found out my boss was extra easy too!! - TMI? I blame the drink;)

S

Morning Steve, Sounds like you are having a post Christmas Office Party... :party0016:

Just had some rather bad and sobering news from work - I was hoping to finish at 4 but apparently I have to stay until I'm 65!

Hate it when that happens!

Just had some rather bad and sobering news from work - I was hoping to finish at 4 but apparently I have to stay until I'm 65!

Hate it when that happens!

:rolleyes:

Steve - not controvercial at all. Absolutely spot on.
I have to agree Steve when it comes to booze... I doubt many people measure the shot of vodka or wine at a party etc., or can stop at just one or even keep count at times;).
You're right - it's the measures and numbers that ruin the plan. I do actually measure mine - I have a glass that takes exactly 90 ml, decant it into a bigger glass and add sparkly water. 3 a day = 10 syns (less actually but that's what I count) and stops me feeling deprived and cheating on other things.

As you all know I've done this since day 1 and so far I'm 4½ stone lighter.
BUT I'm lucky, I can and do stop at 3 and don't have more. Except when we have visitors as Lou will attest to!!!! Or celebrate new year with a bottle of fizz!!!!

. . .
Except that I'd put "free" food as last on my list of things to snack on.

But in my opinion, if you're needing more of the standard free food as snacks, then you're not getting your meal sizes right. And (particularly if you're on EE) you can't snack just on free food, because you'd have to add superfree with it, and then it's as if you're adding another meal into your day.

I know people do snack on things like mugshots, pasta pots etc, but I've never really understood that.
A mugshot is a big enough intake of calories to count as a small meal. . . .
End of the sermon according to Sarah!
Good sermon Sarah! Exactly what I was trying to say and oh so much better said.

Some poeple have a whole Pasta n Sauce as a snack - and it's designed for 2 servings at 350 cals a serving! :eek: I just don't know how people can eat that much if they've eaten a well designed SW filling meal at lunchtime. Or how they lose weight!

Oh I do like a good thread hijack and debate! That's what I enjoy!
Debate mind - so long as no one gets nasty or abusive and I think we're all eloquent and ugly enough to debate sensibly!

Back