From Maximus to Minimus - coming soon!

You're all too kind - I told peopleat work today it was probably 30% dietary, 30% exercising and 40% tremendous goodwill from forums, group and colleagues.

I think they thought I was exagerrating, but the amount of support available - usually from strangers (or as the cliché goes - friends who have never met) is astonishing.

Yes, I followed the plan, I was disciplined, I did the exercise, but without the help and support, they would not have been enough.

Take a bow Team Stevie:D

Farewell to a fantastic mate.

Saturday will be a harrowing day for me. I'm meeting my great mate Dave who is not struggling with his cancer battle and has just been issued with his wheelchair. I have arranged to take him out birdwatching tomorrow as we do this all the time, or at least we did until a few months ago. This is the first time I've seen him for months and both of us have lost several stone in that time- but for sadly different reasons:(

Some people have said I'm an inspiration to them but tomorrow morning i'm meeting my inspiration, Dave - he never moans, he has a wife and young daughter (under 14) and must fear for their collective future. Hopefully he'll get to where he needs to be and get a chance to fight his problem. Hopefully tomorrow and his first trip out is a start to the fight and strength-building as his chemo treatment is re-started.

he is not confined to the chair yet, but it is there for if and when he tires. Hopefully tomorrow will not be too much phsically for him and emotionally for me!

For those who didn't know, I've recently lost 3 very close to me to said disease (cancer) including my beloved mother. I'd like to think one person might just have it beat and that starts tomorrow!

So, positive thoughts only as it all begins tomorrow. Wish US luck, good weather and some decent birds to see:)

Great weekend everyone

Steve

Forgive me a few moments and words.

Some of you may recall the above post from January. Sadly, Dave lost his fight late Thursday night, leaving wife Cath & daughter Rachel. In a twist of fate, he passed the day after I reached target. Co-incidence of course, but a comforting thought.

I treasured our last few trips out, and even though we couldn't travel far or walk far, the simple act of being with a mate and getting out was precious. He never complained, although his frustration of not being able to do what he could previously was evident.

It was this time last year, ironically as we were walking miles around Suffolk his first sings of pain/illness manifested itself. Those were the days, pack the car, fill up with diesel, and drive 300 miles for a long weekend.

At least there's no pain any more and I have had a nice chat/reminisce with Cath. Sadly, the funeral is when I am in Florida, but Cath told me to get away and enjoy it and not even think about the funeral.

R.I.P my mate.

Of course, maintaining the loss will be my ongoing pledge.

Thanks for reading, I'm strangely ok about it, it's almost a relief it's over and the pain and frustration has been taken away.

Steve

Steve, so sorry to read this, but as you say, he is no longer in pain and Cath & Rachel do not have to watch him struggle any longer.
He would be so proud of you, you have acheived so much, and your pledge to maintain is wonderful.
I am pleased to see that you're OK with this, and over time you will only have fond memories
Deb x

Steve,

I am so sorry to hear your sad news. I know he would have been/was very proud of you just as you were of him for being who he was. I hope that your holiday away is as lovely as it will be hard for you but am sure that Dave would said the same thing. Have a tear for him, a beer for him and remember the happy times. My thoughts are with you, your family and his family.

Gail x

Sent from my iPhone

Steve,

Having spent a very enlightening and truly inspiring two days reading your diary from start to finish a few weeks back, I just wanted to say how sad I am to hear of your beloved mate's passing.

Life can be very cruel, taking good people prematurely. Take heart that he is now out of pain and no longer suffering and enjoy Florida.......I bet he'll be with you all the way.

xxx

Thank you all for such kind and encouraging words. Amazing really, friends of a person you know merely over an internet forum, yet it is a wonderful medium when used like this.

So glad it wasn't too morose, but it was something that dominated my recent thoughts of course.

There's more to a weightloss & food diary than a list of meals and syns. At least there is with my one;)

Oh my Goodness! Awesome!!!! x

Woohoo!

Work is over (finished at 6pm) day off tomorrow - naturally good on you Wills and your lass from good old Geordie stock!

Saturday will (Railways permitting!!!) see me shunting towards Manchester, and after a nice overnight hotel break, Sunday should see me slumming it towards Florida.

Because i'm worth it;)

Boy do I need this break! - if I can find the time and an internet connection, I'll try and post from Florida. Please forgive me if I'm otherwise occupied though.

Take care everyone:wave_cry:

Hi Steve
Just back from 2 weeks away and so much has happened.

Firstly - I'm so sorry that your friend has passed away but he would have been so proud of you reaching target. A good friend of ours died a few years ago and his wife told us not to fly back for the funeral but to raise a glass to him at the appropriate hour. That's what we did, reminisced about the good times and had both a laugh and shed a tear. Do the same whilst you are in Florida and remember all the fantastic times you both had together out on your walks.

Secondly - well done on getting to target. A FANTASTIC ACHIEVEMENT.

Thirdly - I am really annoyed with you for losing so much and not providing us with the photo of you in your shorts! Perhaps one from Florida will suffice?

Fourthly - have a great holiday. Don't think about us too much - just enjoy yourself.

Have a great break, Steve.
And I'm loving your new avatar!

That avatar is me - The Angel of the North lol. Just read the other day it is the most seen tourist attraction in the UK because the A1 passes it, so so many people see it every day. Makes it seem a bit common now;)

Hi Steve
Just back from 2 weeks away and so much has happened.

Firstly - I'm so sorry that your friend has passed away but he would have been so proud of you reaching target. A good friend of ours died a few years ago and his wife told us not to fly back for the funeral but to raise a glass to him at the appropriate hour. That's what we did, reminisced about the good times and had both a laugh and shed a tear. Do the same whilst you are in Florida and remember all the fantastic times you both had together out on your walks.

Secondly - well done on getting to target. A FANTASTIC ACHIEVEMENT.

Thirdly - I am really annoyed with you for losing so much and not providing us with the photo of you in your shorts! Perhaps one from Florida will suffice?

Fourthly - have a great holiday. Don't think about us too much - just enjoy yourself.

Whooa! steady on there dear;) - the amount of women hitting on me these days is shocking:eek::p

Good job I'm an angel;)

Thanks everyone. I really need some sun, fun and a bit colour after a rough old year. I need a rest, but Florida tends to be hectic! - not that I'm complaning:cool:

Look after Bonny Britain while i'm away, and call in on my mam from time-to-time (Fillymum has been officially adopted)

Steve

Woop woop! Hope you have a fantastic break! You definitely deserve it :) xx

Whooa! steady on there dear;) - the amount of women hitting on me these days is shocking:eek::p

It's just 'cos we all want to see how fantastic the new you looks.

Hope you're enjoying yourself in Sunny Florida

Hi everyone

Apologies for any typos but am using a netbook with sticky keys and a poor;y lit keyoard.

Halfway through the two weeks in sunny Florida and frustratingly I'm not tanning! tey warn you of the Florida sun and using sunscreen etc. but same as last visit despite the sun and the heat, nobody is burning.

Great to be away and relaxing - just a good recharge of the batteries, but see elsewhere about my food struggle.

I decided to really go for it, after being good for the first few days. This holiday cost a fortune - including free Disney Dining so living on rabbit food isn't an option! I just wish they didn't have to fry everything or add butter - though they are used to healthy option requests.

I figure the considerable damage I do in the next week can be rectified once back home and in the gym etc.

I'll report back later......

Steve

Just 2 more daysnow before the great escape and return to dear old Blighty.

It is a well-worn phrase, "it's good to go away but great to get back again"

This trip will be remembered for the extreme heat = yes evenby Florida standards. 96 degrees it has reached and couple this withg the humidity and it is exhausting.

Too much food. Lesson learned. Included is the cost of a DDP (Disney Dining Plan) out simply, there is too much food and I will not use this option again. It was free/included and probably worth approx $600 (£400) per week each - with unlimited drinks and refills too. Good if you're on a budget, not if you're on a diet plan lol.

The planning is already underway for next trip, hve located my villa and already been to local supermarket and checked out the place Will be much better with mountains of fresh fruit, salads and leafy veggies as well as excellent lean meats! - roll on September 22!

Not all bad news though. The heat etc has NOT been a problem this time. The weightloss and body magic paying dividends as I am able to face the extremes without problem. Others are simply not coping - even the parks are very quiet as Americans are not willing to take on the heat!

I'm aware I've really pushed the boat out - I had 6lb to play with to remain withi target. I know and can feel that was easily abused - just a case of by how much by. I do know next week wil be a reality check, but in a way it is a good thing as this is like one crazy ride and I need to get off.

I have now competed the menu in our little resort (Port Orleans French Quarters) and am having salad and fruit for the next few days in a bid to kickstart the rehab lol. Below some of the horrible things I've had after being so 100% for so long;

Pizza (not even keen on it either)
White bread, (french stick style for sandwiches)
Butter (did at least take the low-fat)
Bagels - I love these - with cream cheese (low fat)
Beer! - my two pints were the first in 18 months!!
Burger & Fries - first sine August last year
Milk shake - AT LEAST 3! - FIRST IN YEARS
Fish & chips - non SW-style tough they were small portions.

Unbelieable amonts of chicken, ribs, steak, pork, beef (all loosely came under red days) long with shrimp (hmm not sure about the batter).

God knows what the yanks cream their potatoes with, but suffice to say they were tastier than anything back home.

Writing that lot down makes me feel better - relieved some guilt.

I did stick with black coffee, sweeteners, no fat yoghurts, no fat cottage cheese and diet coke to my eternal credit.

I also conservatively estimated my walking at around 200 miles (probably much more).

Next Wednesday's weigh-in should bring some gasps I can tell you;)

Slghtly homesick Steve

Hi Steve - really glad you are enjoying yourself. Last time I had american creamed spuds they had cream and full-fat spready cheese in them. Yummy I agree (I can still taste them just writing about them) but oh the calories . . .

Enjoy your last few days and if you've walked as far as you think you might be slightly surprised at you home-coming WI.

Steve,

You just don't know how things will be. Last time I went to the USA I ate sensibly for some of the time but had at least a few chips for virtually every meal and pizza twice and yet I STS after 10 days. So, fingers crossed but whatever happens, you will get it off quickly. Will be good to see you back.

Gail x

Back