From Maximus to Minimus - coming soon!

Morning Steve x

Sorry to hear the legs no better this morning...hope it turns outto be a small strain and nothing too serious, but that pop does sound like a tendon x

Well am sitting in A&E at present awaiting my turn. I'm feeling better - the pain is actually less than last night. I'd love to know what happened though!

Can't believe my ramblers are out there and I'm suffering cabin fever. And here's me thinking I was fit!! Looks like I need that bike after all to get these leg muscles strengthened as walking alone insufficient.

Will report later.....

Maximus said:
Well am sitting in A&E at present awaiting my turn. I'm feeling better - the pain is actually less than last night. I'd love to know what happened though!

Can't believe my ramblers are out there and I'm suffering cabin fever. And here's me thinking I was fit!! Looks like I need that bike after all to get these leg muscles strengthened as walking alone insufficient.

Will report later.....

Oh hillocks!!! :(

I'd stick to flat reservoirs in future hunni! x

Ouch! from me too. I had exactly the same thing happen to me years ago. And you're right, it did feel like a car had thrown up a stone off the road and hit me in the calf.

Fortunately I hadn't snapped the tendon - but it was damaged - the docs described it as a minor tear! Walking hurt like he11 for weeks I'm sorry to say! So good luck Stevie.

Hope they manage to sort you out Steve although I'm probably in agreement with you - I suspect it may need amputating. This is telemedicine at it's finest ;) Mind you, what do I know :p !!!!!

Hope you make it to the lunch though. Seems a shame to miss out.

Gail x

Sent from my iPhone

Ouch! from me too. I had exactly the same thing happen to me years ago. And you're right, it did feel like a car had thrown up a stone off the road and hit me in the calf.

Fortunately I hadn't snapped the tendon - but it was damaged - the docs described it as a minor tear! Walking hurt like he11 for weeks I'm sorry to say! So good luck Stevie.

Gastrocnemius it is - although it appears the achilles and knee have been damaged too - possibly caused by my trying to "adapt my walking stance to relieve the pain" - hence they gave me crutches, so sounds very much like what you had Bev, though I don't have much pain, more of an irritation. The pain comes when you forget you have it and Sunderland score an injury-time winner v Blackburn yesterday (note to self: don't jump out of rest bed when the lads score a winning goal):cool:

I'm officially fed up already! Clearly I'm not going to be the most patient of erm, patients. I can't go out, or would have to use crutches:eek: (I hate them already - much better to have a plastercast and people sign it)

I don't even get one of them blue badges! - actually I'm not allowed to drive either, some such nonsense about having full control of the vehicle (have you seen drivers out there lately?)

Worst of all, I still have to eat, but then can't exercise afterwards:confused: the potential for boredom-eating and associated danger signs are in place.

Any suggestions of how to pass time without getting fat, spending too much (I comfort shop at times like this) or get into too much mischief?

Thanks for all your good wishes.

Morning Steve x

Well that's a bit of a bummer, isn't it!

So here's u all laid up with painkillers and crutches...

While tomorrow, Sarah and I will be trotting around some of northamptonshires finest countryside and then partaking of a little light refreshment in a warm and inviting local hostelry...

We cud send u some pics to cheer u up I suppose but sadly not the same as the real thing :(

I really don't know what to suggest on the exercise front...I suppose you could do weights or something...probably get a bit boring after a while tho!

And I think the boredom is going to be the worst thing for u to have to cope with...even more so than the pain :(

Oh well...one plus point is you've got even more time online now to find all our Minis Christmas pressies so its not all bad...! ;)

Well hunni I do hope your leg heals really quickly and that you're soon back out with your rambler friends x

And back to your new role at work of course! What a lousy time to have hurt yourself!

Be good!

Dawniepops x

Blimmin' heck Stevie, I leave you for a day or two, whilst I have important business to attend to and what do you go and do????? Can't leave boys alone for five minutes without them getting into trouble... pah!!!

On the plus side.........think of all the Jeremy Kyles you will be able to watch!!! Great thing about that show is that it makes your own life seem much better :D

Seriously though, so sorry you have had such an injury and hope you are soon on the mend.

Much love xxxx

Gastrocnemius it is - although it appears the achilles and knee have been damaged too - possibly caused by my trying to "adapt my walking stance to relieve the pain" - hence they gave me crutches, so sounds very much like what you had Bev, though I don't have much pain, more of an irritation.
You'll get lots of pain if you try to walk! So stay put lad. I know it's a pain in the butt (no pun intended here) but with tendons and muscles rest really is the best policy. And ice packing - you should be doing this for the next couple of days as it will reduce the internal swelling.

You might want to have a look at this web page it says
"Calf (Gastrocnemius) muscle tears commonly occur in middle-aged recreational athletes while performing actions that require sudden changes in direction (ex: basketball, hill running, tennis, etc.) " . . . sound familiar?
And goes on to talk about how to manage it.

My tear was actually right at the top of the achilles tendon where it joins said Gastrocnemius!

As to exercise - please take care and be very careful not to do any further damage by not letting it recover properly. It can take a long time unfortunately.

So so sorry Steve to be the bearer of bad tidings!

Last edited:
Oh aye Lou? - and what important business was this then?

I thought my quotient of "dodgy texts" was lower than normal:p
Aw, nothing exciting hun...just moving house, plus didn't get onto the internet until last night.......not that I would have had time to check on what you were all up to :sigh:

Dodgy texts, however, would have been forthcoming if I had received any....... you know you are first on my 'hit list' :D:D

"Calf (Gastrocnemius) muscle tears commonly occur in middle-aged recreational athletes while performing actions that require sudden changes in direction (ex: basketball, hill running, tennis, etc.) "

Hee hee hee...

If 47 is middle-aged then i'm gonna live til 94! That's how it works n'est pas?

Good article that Bev, but aimed at oldies not youngsters like me;)

Possibly because I had dress shoes on instead of walking boots - who knows. Maybe it was always going to happen? - I will make sure rehab is gentle and I re-build the muscle.

Will cancel line-dancing tomorrow night;)

It depends on how long you think middle age lasts.
It's not necessarily a pin point.

You could be middle aged all the way from 30 to 50, if you lived till 80 and thought that there were 20 years of middle age.

I think it's up to you!

(Although obviously it kicks in somewhere between my age and yours...)

You could be middle aged all the way from 30 to 50, if you lived till 80 and thought that there were 20 years of middle age.

I think it's up to you!

Personally, I don't think middle age exists. I am still young (ish) mentally and will just get a bit 'eccentric' when I am in my 80s *she says hopefully* :D

I think it's up to you!

The boy has barely gone through his puberty yet and you want to class him as middle aged. Ts, ts, ts. Jealousy is what I call that. :D

Back