From Shabby to Stunning restarting 14 Jan 2013

GlamUp

Good morning all,

I’ve finally decided to do something about my weight. The fabulous warm weather, a friend’s forthcoming wedding and the fact that I really do hate the way I look, has spurred me on to lose some weight. Although, being honest with myself, my weight is not the real issue. I have really let myself go. I no longer wear make-up, wear nice clothes, or take care of myself and am now hiding behind my weight – using it as an excuse not to make an effort :(.
I am hoping that by losing weight with Slimming World, I’ll transform from shabby to stunning.
I plan to follow Extra Easy for the majority of the plan, with a few Original days each week.

So for today, my menu looks like this:

B: 28g Porridge Oats (HEB), 180ml semi-skimmed milk (HEA) and a banana.
L: Edamame soya bean salad, turkey breast chunks, coriander and chilli dressing (5 syns) and an Activia fat free peach yogurt (½ syn).
D: Basmati Rice, bean chilli and beef in tomato stew (8 syns??).
S: Plenty of fresh fruit

Not sure about the syns in the beef/tomato stew - it has plenty of fresh ingredients, but it has quite a bit of olive oil in, so I've guessed 8 syns...

Last edited:
Think I did OK yesterday, but a bit worried about the syns in the M&S salad that I had for lunch. I think I underestimated the syns, and will look into this and amend my diary, if necessary.

Felt really peckish by the time I got in from work, about 7:30pm; so will try and have a snack just before I leave work today.

Today, I've had:

B: 28g Porridge Oats (HEB), 180ml semi-skimmed milk (HEA), pear, grapes and a banana :)
L: M&S Rainbow Superfood Salad (7.5 syns), tinned mackerel in brine, an apple and a Muller light strawberry yoghurt.

For dinner, I plan to make spaghetti bolognese with whole-wheat spaghetti, a pasta sauce (4 syns) (yes, I know it's a waste of syns) and a side serving of broccoli :).

Forgot to mention that I went to the gym yesterday - feel quite sore, but plan to continue going to help with my weight loss.

For dinner, I plan to make spaghetti bolognese with whole-wheat spaghetti, a pasta sauce (4 syns) (yes, I know it's a waste of syns) and a side serving of broccoli :).

Didn't have the planned dinner - ate leftovers from yesterday, which was Basmati Rice, bean chilli and beef in tomato stew (8 syns??).

Totals:

Syns for Tuesday = 15.5
Exercise = None
Water = 500ml (this isn't bad for me, I'm a camel in disguise
:D)
BP Medication taken =
:checkmark:

Today I plan to mix it up a bit - well, have something different for breakfast ...

Wednesday

B: 2 Summer Fruit Alpen Lights (HEB), a M&S count on us vanilla yogurt and a pear.
L: M&S Edamame soya bean salad with a coriander and chilli dressing (5 syns), turkey breast chunks, avocado (5 syns) and an Activia fat free peach yogurt (½ syn).
D: Tuna bolognese with whole-wheat spaghetti made with pasta sauce (4 syns) and a side serving of broccoli.
S: Plenty of fresh fruit

Syns for Wednesday = 14.5
Exercise = None planned
Water =
BP Medication taken =

OK, I've used the Jubilee weekend as an excuse to eat and drink whatever I've fancied, and just know I'll regret it on WI day. Speaking of which, I've decided to weigh in every Monday at Boots.

I really struggle at the weekends, as I have no structure to my day. Today, I'm going school uniform shopping, going to view a house and do my weekly food shopping - so will be out of the house for most of the day!

Anyway, I will try my best
:D

Saturday

B: 35g Asda Swiss Style Museli (HEB) with a handful of strawberries, 125ml semi-skimmed milk ( 1/2 HEA) and a pear.
L: Jacket Potato, 14g Cheddar Cheese ( 1/2 HEA), M&S Edamame soya bean salad (2 syns) and a ring doughnut (12 syns).
D: Tilapia Stew served with Basmati Rice and Broccoli (5 syns??) and a Magnum Almond Ice-lolly (14 syns)
Snacks: 5 chocolate digestive biscuits (20 syns)

Syns for Saturday = 46 :eek:
BP Medication taken = :d'oh:

Last edited:
I have to admit, I struggle at the weekends. The lack of structure and the constant temptations are making it so difficult!!

I am back on plan today, and I will make sure I stick to the plan. There are days I think - "I'm not too overweight, maybe I'm just being hard on myself"... then I try on a pair of skinny jeans or something I need, and I hate the reflection staring back at me.

I tried on a pair of size 16 skinny jeans on Saturday, I looked awful!! I must remember this - when the chocolate digestives are calling me!!

I've put on 2lbs since beginning Slimming World - and I don't want to be the only 'failure' on this fantastic website!!

So today's plan looks like this:

Monday
B: 2 Alpen Light Bars (HEB); M&S Low Fat Natural Probiotic Yogurt (5 syns) with a handful of melon, pineapple & grapes.
L: M&S Orzo Pasta & Roasted Tomatoes with a basil vinaigrette (1.5 syns) with Mackerel fillets in a hot chilli dressing - lovely :).

D: Bolognese made with a spicy tomato sauce (4 syns) served with a jacket potato, 42g cheddar (HEA) and mixed vegetables.

Total Syns = 10.5
Exercise = Planned to begin walk/run programme, but it's raining cats & dogs at the moment
BP Medication = Forgotten to take them with me to work :sigh:

Struggled yesterday, had a hospital appointment, which meant I couldn't eat all morning.. so have written off yesterday!

So today, I plan:

Wednesday
B: 35g Alpen Swiss Style Muesli (HEB); 150ml Semi-Skimmed milk (HEA) with a handful of strawberries and grapes.
L: M&S Sprouted Pea and Bean Salad with a mint dressing and mackerel fillets in brine.
D: Tilapia in a tomato based stew (3 syns) served with basmati rice and mixed vegetables.
Snacks: Chocolate & Fudge Alpen Light (3 syns); Low fat peach and probiotic yogurt (4 syns)

Total Syns = 10
BP Medication =

Last edited:
Friday
B: 28g Porridge Oats (HEB); 150ml Semi-Skimmed milk (HEA) with a handful of grapes.
L: M&S Quinoa & Edamame Soya Bean Salad with a soy and ginger dressing (5 syns??) with sardines in brine.
D: Tuna Pasta made with spicy pepper sauce (4 syns) served with mixed vegetables.
Snacks: M&S Count on us Raspberry Panna cotta yogurt (Free :D) and a banana

Total Syns = 9

Last edited:
Went to a football tournament today - really messed up :(

Saturday

B: Slice of wholemeal bread with baked beans and a M&S Count on us Raspberry Panna Cotta yoghurt
L: Pizza with an aero mousse (?? syns) and coke zero
Snacks: Almond Magnum (14 syns)

Total Syns = God knows
:eek:

GlamUp said:
Friday
B: 28g Porridge Oats (HEB); 150ml Semi-Skimmed milk (HEA) with a handful of grapes.
L: M&S Quinoa & Edamame Soya Bean Salad with a soy and ginger dressing (5 syns??) with sardines in brine.
D: Tuna Pasta made with spicy pepper sauce (4 syns) served with mixed vegetables.
Snacks: M&S Count on us Raspberry Panna cotta yogurt (Free :D) and a banana

Total Syns = 9

Hi :)

How you doing ?? Hope you don't mind me saying, but you seem to be using a lot of syns on yogurt in the past 2 weeks ?? Can you not get far free yogurt and make your own with sweetener and fruit or vanilla pods or something ?? can you not make your own salads instead of m&s ... ??

I have done many diets, and I've done eating out of boxes and cartons, but the whole point in dieting, is changing the way you eat long term ...

So that means making choices that are better long term, and shop bought foods that are pre packed is not the best way in the long term.

Especially as we don't always know how many syns etc something is till we get home (by then it's too late) maybe this is why you have gained weight since starting ?

Lisa :) x x x

Hi Cobra, thank you so much for reading and commenting on my food intake...
Yes, after reading the food diaries of others, I now think I am I using too many syns on things that I can easily get syn-free.
But to be honest, I'm trying to always find the easiest way of doing things, and sticking to it...
For example, making up a salad and taking it to work each morning, seems like such an effort.. but buying one (that I actually enjoy) on my way back from the gym is sooo much easier!!
I'm trying to get to grips with Slimming World and am trying to revamp my menu. I've also noticed I'm using my HEA and HEB before 10am!!

Thanks again, and look forward to any more constructive criticism and encouragement :D

So you could stick with buying salad and change the yogurt maybe buying a big pot of yogurt and putting it in the small Tupperware boxes ??

I love buying a bag a crispy salad (florette) and adding red grapes and apple in it mmmm !

You have given me an idea tho ... Tuna bolognaise sounds nice !!

Lisa :)

So you could stick with buying salad and change the yogurt maybe buying a big pot of yogurt and putting it in the small Tupperware boxes ??

I love buying a bag a crispy salad (florette) and adding red grapes and apple in it mmmm !

You have given me an idea tho ... Tuna bolognaise sounds nice !!

Lisa :)

Thanks Cobra

Hi you are doing great, I was here looking for you as you posted a query on the syn free yogurt thread and I need the protein amounts (if they are 0.0 it will be 5 syns though for a 120g pot) 4 1/2 syns per 100g, 6 1/2 for 150g (gulps) I like my yogurts and use syns for them, not keen on the sweeteners in some of them. I syn the Vanillla Onken fat free, great big 450g pots are 5 syns for the whole pot. The weight watchers lemon and lime are free and nice tasting.

Im not really a fat free yoghurt lover either tbh BUT I absolutely love the Muller Greek Style fat free coconut and vanilla ones. They're creamy and yummy and taste lovely with other stuff added too. And frozen. This morning I had one for breakfast with a grilled banana. I've also had them with berries and meringue crushed up in it like an Eton mess. Def give them a try, they're lovely!:)

Also I agree with the pre-packed stuff. Make them up the night before then just add the dressing in the morning or take it to work with you to add. There are lovely fat free dressings or you could make your own with olive oil and balsamic viniger or lemon juice. You know exactly how many syns will be in it then. And you can add all sorts of things to your salad, beans/pulses, meat, fish, pickles, hea of cheese etc...

Hope that helps a little :)

Hi Glam Up, Hope you don't mind me saying, you don't seem to be in the right frame of mind? Don't be so hard on yourself when you have a bad day, we all have to start somewhere, and we all fall off the wagon, the secret is getting back up on it! I know you are saying you like buying the salad you enjoy, but is it your way of self-sabotaging? When you buy pre packed food, you don't know whats in them. If you have full control of what you are eating, you may feel more comfortable starting this journey, and we are all here with you!!

Hi Glam Up, Hope you don't mind me saying, you don't seem to be in the right frame of mind? Don't be so hard on yourself when you have a bad day, we all have to start somewhere, and we all fall off the wagon, the secret is getting back up on it! I know you are saying you like buying the salad you enjoy, but is it your way of self-sabotaging? When you buy pre packed food, you don't know whats in them. If you have full control of what you are eating, you may feel more comfortable starting this journey, and we are all here with you!!

Thankyou catxscotch, I appreciate your comments. It's nice to know someone is supporting me. :D
I don't think I'm self-sabotaging - well I hope not... I'm just trying to make the diet sustainable.
I leave home early in the morning and go to the gym before work. If I make a salad before leaving - it's not very appetising by the time I get to work :(. Or am I just making excuses? :eek:

Im not really a fat free yoghurt lover either tbh BUT I absolutely love the Muller Greek Style fat free coconut and vanilla ones. They're creamy and yummy and taste lovely with other stuff added too. And frozen. This morning I had one for breakfast with a grilled banana. I've also had them with berries and meringue crushed up in it like an Eton mess. Def give them a try, they're lovely!:)

Also I agree with the pre-packed stuff. Make them up the night before then just add the dressing in the morning or take it to work with you to add. There are lovely fat free dressings or you could make your own with olive oil and balsamic viniger or lemon juice. You know exactly how many syns will be in it then. And you can add all sorts of things to your salad, beans/pulses, meat, fish, pickles, hea of cheese etc...

Hope that helps a little :)

Thanks muddypaws, I had a Muller Greek Style fat free yoghurt today - honeyed peach - it was actually very nice - a bit small though :)

Yay, I've lost 2lbs!!

Monday
B: 35g Asda Swiss Style Muesli (HEB); Semi-Skimmed milk (HEA) with grapes and a banana.
L: M&S Orzo Pasta & Roasted Tomatoes with a basil vinaigrette (1.5 syns) with chicken tikka chunks and a nectarine with some grapes.

D: Chicken and tomato stew (3 syns) with stir fry vegetables (1 syn for the oil) with basmati rice and reduced fat coleslaw (3.5 syns)
Snack: Muller Greek Yogurt (0.5 syns)

Total Syns = 9.5
Exercise = Couch 25K W1D1
:D
BP Medication =

GlamUp said:
Yay, I've lost 2lbs!!

Monday
B: 35g Asda Swiss Style Muesli (HEB); Semi-Skimmed milk (HEA) with grapes and a banana.
L: M&S Orzo Pasta & Roasted Tomatoes with a basil vinaigrette (1.5 syns) with chicken tikka chunks and a nectarine with some grapes.
D: Chicken and tomato stew (3 syns) with stir fry vegetables (1 syn for the oil) with basmati rice and reduced fat coleslaw (3.5 syns)
Snack: Muller Greek Yogurt (0.5 syns)

Total Syns = 9.5
Exercise = Couch 25K W1D1 :D
BP Medication = :checkmark:

Well done on the loss !! What a result !!! :):):)

Lisa xx

P.s get the boxes from supermarket that you can put in the freezer and you can put your salad stuff in that and keep it fresh !!

Back