Frozen veg? Don't u just h8t it when...

Chamonix Bee

You think you've done really well & then your thwarted in your attempts to be a super slim diva by the syn value of prepacked frozen veg!!!

Even cut out my usual Sunday roast today and thought that as I'd had a bit of a wild Friday night :17729: and a not so brilliant Saturday :ignore:, that today I would be extra angelic and have my favourite veggie based meal for a green day, that being a Lidl Green Grocer's Mexican Mixed Veg.

Had the whole pack with a small portion of noodles and felt soooo good about myself....until I finally got round to working out the syn value...something I had been meaning to do for weeks but didn't get time. Imagine my disappointment to learn it's whopping 15 syns per pack.........arghhhhhhh! :flamingmad:

This was one of my very few safe guard foods that I could quickly enjoy if I didn't have time to peel, chop & add my own spices. Oh well, back to the veg peeler....grrrr! :sigh:

Any more synners out there?

How did you work out the syns? If you used the calculator did you give it a free food allowance? Unless there is oil in it I can't see why it would be that high in syns

Frozen vet is really handy,, especially the bags that you can stick in the microwave

I think buying frozen veg you need to read the ingrediants as some of them have added oil hence high syn value. The safest frozen veg from Lidl are: Peas, Green beans, mixed veg (Cauliflower, broccoli, carrots) or mixed veg. If they are things like Mexican/oriental they have added oil.

i also discovered hidden syns in frozen veg,bought a bag from aldi the other day,courgettes,aubergine,onions etc,and i happened to look at ingredients and it had oil in!!!! really cant understand why it would need it! its a good job i thought it was gross :D X

Its highly unlikely its 15 syns a pack, even if it HAS got oil in it, I expect you havent included a free food allowance as Patchwork says.

If you post the NVs someone can calculate it for you, but if this information is right it works out about 1 Syn per 100g, (depending which vegetable you use as the free food) which sounds far more likely.

How do I work out syns and how many should I have a day?

Hi Tigs90 -
It's virtually impossible to work out syns yourself. Think the formula is a closely guarded secret! If you're not going to meetings and don't have the sw books then search for syn values on this forum. 15 a day is the recommendation for the majority of people, although I have seen posts where lighter people have said they've been told to stick to 10, or heavier to 20 (15 stones+ I believe). You could also join the SW website which is a more expensive option. Personally I think this forum is better. I've found great stuff on here that isn't on the SW website. There are SW consultants on here too - they might see your post and give you more info than I can. Good luck!xx

How did you work out the syns? If you used the calculator did you give it a free food allowance? Unless there is oil in it I can't see why it would be that high in syns

Its highly unlikely its 15 syns a pack, even if it HAS got oil in it, I expect you havent included a free food allowance as Patchwork says.

If you post the NVs someone can calculate it for you, but if this information is right it works out about 1 Syn per 100g, (depending which vegetable you use as the free food) which sounds far more likely.

I used the S.W. Syns calculator as I am a class member. You have to enter whether it's a green, original or e.easy day. I entered green.

I have a packet of Lidl 'Green Grocer's' Italian Style Mixed Veg (got no Mexican left) so gonna talk you through what I do as I'm gobsmacked at the syn values?! Hopefully I'm wrong....I wanna be...sob!

It now has a drop down menu which I have to select from only this is where the problems start. If I select veg, I get a list of individual veg, if I select vegetarian products, I get meat substitute so the only remaining options is to select 'no free food' which takes me on to a page with various boxes marked carbs etc per 100g. In this instance for the Italian veg, I've entered 51 for kCal, protein 1.5g, carbs 2.5g, fat 4g, lastly packet/portion size. In my case I eat the whole damn 750g pack lol! So.....after pressing the calculator button, this pack contains 19 Syns per packet on a green, original or extra easy day? Which is it...grrr!

So....how many Syn's does it contain....it's beyond me but it sounds like it could be possessed....by fat demons......:eek: Help!!!

The drop down menu is how you give it a free food allowance. The reason it is coming out so high in syns is because you didn't select anything here and left it as "no free food".

From the drop down menu you choose the main free ingredient - it will the vegetable that appears first in the list of ingredients on the packet.

We can't work it out for you without knowing what the ingredients are :)

Aww thanx for trying to help anyway. 'Tis obviously me being unfamiliar with the calculus on the website lol! Will have another go tomorrow. With a bit 'o' luck I might be able to afford to allow me fav. Mexican veg mix after all lol!

The Lidl frozen veg mixes have things like olives in and spices so they are not completely free. BUT they are low syn and very yummy and make a meal with rice/couscous/pasta. I will continue to have them but not too often.

Just a thought -which you might have done already - but if you click on 'syns online' rather than the 'my tools' or whatever it's called, you get a choice of brand name and manufacturer, or keyword which might make it easier to find what you're looking for xxx

I've been searching to find out if these bags have any syns. I don't have a bag in at the moment to get the numbers so I can work it out for myself.

What was the results of this? Do they have syns? If so, any idea how many?! I really love the Mexican one too and would love to have them on the diet!

Back