General: Week starting Mon 14th August

Hi wemitts
I just wrote a long reply to everyone's post and the damned thing 'lost it' again. I even did what Anja suggested and clicked the back button but it had gone. :mad:

So here's a very condensed version.

Roch - Try to stay off the scales: I loaned mine out as I was becoming a habitual scale hopper and it was getting me disheartened.
The only weigh in that counts for you is the official one at SW. If you're following the guidlines of the diet then you'll lose fat - trust your body: it WILL respond!
If you're retaining water then drink lots and lots. Sounds mad but your kidneys need the fluid and if you cut down then your body will hang onto whatever water it can making the situation worse.
Mini is right when she says gauge your progress by a monthly average and not a weekly one. We girlies have far too much hormonal influence causing minor fluctuations to be able to see how we're doing day to day or week to week. We need at least a month to see what's happening.

Jellybabe - Sorry to hear about AAM knocking you out of K. Generally, AAM is a positive thing but it seems to trip some people up. It's for this reason I'm glad I made the decision to stay on the very narrow SS rails until I'm closer to goal. I'm not afraid of food - in fact I'm really looking forward to incorporating healthy food into my new lifestyle - but with such a lot to lose and a journey this long (which I never want to repeat), I CANNOT risk being distracted or tripped up in any way. So for the time being, my blinkers will stay firmly ON! :D

Kam - Just read your post on the challenge thread .. WELL DONE on your 4 days of SSing. You're a star!!

I took the kids to the Isle of Wight yesterday to a place called Blackgang Chine. For those who don't know what the terrain in this place is like, imagine a mountain goat with a huge grin on it's hairy little face and you'll get the picture!
It's a theme park situated on what is basically the sides of a ravine leading to the sea. I spent the best part of six hours walking up and down some very steep hilly paths!
So today, my thighs are pretty sore .... but I'm thinking positively: achy thighs means exercised thighs so that MUST be a good thing!

I'd like to share this with you though ....
As we left Blackgang yesterday, the exit was in the form of a very narrow turnstile. Now, at my heaviest, I'd have started to panic; worried about being publicly humiliated by getting wedged. In fact, I think I'd have opted for leaving via the buggy/wheelchair exit.
But yesterday, I had 'NO FEAR' as I walked up to the metal barrier and strolled through with room to spare.
Girls .... for the first time in many, many years, I felt NORMAL. Only a fellow wemitt will undertand that statement.

Have a great day everyone! :D

Morning wemitss,just thought i would say hi and see how every one is doing,not feeling 2 great TOTM has come with avengance and i feel like crap.
Can anyone tell me do u gain weight with water retention b4 TOTM has arrived and when u have it.
Although i am taking water tabs not very strong ones i am wondering if i could still be retaining water,have not been good at drinking water this week,would be lucky if i drank3/4 ltr a day.
I really think i would feel low if they told me i had stayed the same this week,as this week has been so hard for me and i have not cheated once.
Hope u all have a good day,catch u all later xxx

Hi Roch
If you're sticking to the diet to the letter then it WILL work. You cannot be the only person in history who eats fewer calories than her body needs and GAINS weight! :)

The fact you've just got your TOTM explains your disappointment on the scales yesterday and only backs up what I said in my last post about hormonal effects on our weight (and is a good reason for staying OFF the scales!). I usually have at least one 'rubbish' week per month on CD because of this. There's no point in me getting despondant though: my body is doing what my body does so I just have to expect it, shrug when it happens and move on.
It's not always the same part of my cycle each month either: sometimes I have a rubbish loss the week before my period, sometimes it's during ... but it's connected to that particular hormonal cycle, that's for sure.

You could easily be retaining extra fluid and from what you say, you're not drinking NEARLY enough to alleviate water retention. Your body is not going to let go of fluid if it's getting insufficient IN to maintain normal bodily functions. Your body NEEDS water Roch - and lots of it. Give your body what it needs and it'll start letting go of the excess fluid.

I'm sure you'll be fine at your weigh-in but IF the numbers are disappointing then take a deep breath and analyse why that could be. In my opinion, it's mainly down to the water thing - you CAN'T be holding onto fat if you're in calorie deficit ... especially if you're keeping your carbs very low.

So drink, drink and drink some more and then you'll see those numbers on the scales drop!

Excellent Debbie! Getting through those turnstiles is something I dread too! But no longer in fact when I reach goal I'm going to jump over it!! Sounds like you had a great time....were you there just for the day? Thanks for your 'star' comments, you know what I'm sure its that phy husks stuff! it makes the drinks so filling I couldn't bear to eat anything else. Had abit of good news I've got an interview! OMG now I really want to lose some weight! Interview is on the 4th Sept for a job as a term time only phlebotomist! which will do me fine until I start my nursing course in 2008 if I get it. OMG I'm so nervous. :eek:
Waiting for Andy's Aunt & Uncle to arrive after lunch from Southampton. Made a yummy carrot cake :( which I won't be eating as I already know what it tastes like as been making for years and to be honest I don't really fancy anyway :D
Better get another few glasses of water down before they arrive.
Kamilla xx

Hi debbie, thanks for the message,i know i have not been drinking enough at all, and that is something i intend to correct as of now.
When it comes to my food i have eaten i know i have been extra good in fact i usually cant stop picking on rubbish foods when i am feeling down but although this week i have been very emotional and upset i have not done that,my food has been low cal food,this is what i have been eating for the last week have only been eating 3 small meals and no snacks at all .

Breakfast multigrain cereal(no milk) activia 0% fat yoghurt and strawberries,half a banana

Lunch the same as breaky

Dinner 3 walls less than 5% fat sausages,small jacket potato,2 desert spoons of tesco helathy living coleslaw
OR
a tesco healthy living meal

I know it is not a very healthy diet but some days i had to force myself to eat as i felt so upset which is so weird for me.
I am on water tabs and although i have not been drinking enough do you think i would still retain water.
Am feeling a bit aprehnsive about the weigh in,even for a second decided might just skip this week but talked myself out of that stupid thought.

My son is coming home in 6 days and i am feeling happy and counting the days till wednesday.I am going to sort out his room over the weekend so when he comes home it will be spotless.
The other day i decided to search behind his door for clothes that had miraculously found their wsay behind the door,so i washed them and when i went to hang them up i found that Aaron had altered his wardrobe,we both have free standing wardrobes to the ceiling,and the rail to hang the clothes on was out of my reach,i am only 5.4 and i had to jump to hang each hannger on,Aaron is 5.10 and has lots more growing as he has just turned 14,u have to laugh when u cant reach to hang up your sons clothes in his wardrobe.
Anyway fingers crossed for my weigh in tonight,hope u all have a good day xxxx

Morning WeMITTS

Debbie, Congrats on a stress free traverse of the turnstyle - I can just imagine the big grin on your face. Sounds like you had a very energetic day out. Only ever been to Isle of wight once when I was about 16 with a load of fellas from work it was a free day out with my then employer Bentalls. The only thing I can remember is being passed from one guy to another about a dozen times over the central reservation on the road where the ferry comes in coz they were to lazy to walk down to the proper crossing - me with a size 8 pencil skirt on and winkle picker shoes (well it was the eighties:p), can't remember where we went spent the day other than the beach but it was a brilliant day - me and 10/11 fellas all to myself (never was one for sharing:D). What would I give for one now:( .

Roch, TOTM always affects my weight loss, so pretty sure you will see a reasonable result if not this week then next week. So stop worrying and stressing - like Debbie said if you are doing the diet properly you can't not lose. Make sure in your head that your not comparing your losses to people SSing as SW is bound to be a bit slower.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Hi again Roch

You will almost certainly retain water if you're not drinking enough - even with the tabs.

Think about it: your body needs about 2litres of water a day for all the functions it needs to perform. If you're only drinking 3/4 of a litre AND taking diuretics trying to rid your body of even more, what do you think it's response is going to be?
It will hang on to ANY fluids it can in your tissues: it will draw from ANY reserves that it can - you may find yourself getting constipated as the colon reabsorbs whatever it can from your food - you'll feel tired, lethargic and generally out of sorts.
Like a wilting flower, you NEED water! :)

If you're retaining water, you need to give your body MORE water - not less!

What time is your weigh in tonight? Mine is 5.30 so we can keep our fingers crossed for each other!

As for your diet, it looks fine (well done for not nibbling btw) but can I make a suggestion? Try to replace the spuds in your diet for alternative veggies, ones that are less carb packed. You'll find that reduces hunger and speeds up weight loss.
By the way, have you had the results of your diabetic test back yet?

Kam - Fab news about the interview!! I'll have my fingers, toes and everything else in between crossed for you! You're right about the psyllium husks in the shake ... really fills you up eh? ;)

JellyB - Thanks for the comment - you're right: I had a huge Cheshire cat grin on my face! :D Walking through a turnstile in line with a bunch of other people might not sound like much of an achievement but I knew my wemitt buddies would know where I was coming from.

Thanks Debbie. I really want the job and am more than qualified for it so here hoping! (although my experience of blood taking in the forces wasn't fab! had to take blood from a LT commander! and forgot to remove the tornque(sp) OMG blood everywhere....)! Its a good 1 hours drive away everyday which is a pain but its only 20 hours a week and term time which is exactly what I what. And the money is fab! Not hospital based either I'd be travelling to day centres, dr surgerys etc... as well.
OMG those husks are amazing! got some from holland & barrett for only £4.99! in the sale as couldn't find the ones I'd ordered...now found. The ones form H&B also have added prebiotics & digestive enzymes...hope we're allowed them? I've been following your daily diet as well so I hope I have a good loss next week....more than half a pound!
Still waiting for the arrival of DH relations! I think they must have got lost! Meant to be here at 12pm!

Kam - You're going to lose a lot more than 1/2lb this coming week Kam: I can feel it in my water!! You're a fighter and always take on a challenge head on but you seem extra motivated at the moment. I can just 'sense' it - and it's really exciting!!
Hope the outlaws arrive soon - don't know about you but I'm always on edge waiting for people!

Roch, I don't shop at Tesco so not sure what the healthy range is really like, but have you checked the actual content in the meals, as they usually load those meals up with sugars and other things to compensate - so it might not be as healthy as you think. My Mum is on water tablets and I remember having a conversation with her a couple of weeks ago about Banana's her GP has told her to try and cut them out - can't remember the technical bit - but it was something to do with them affecting water retention - when I talk to her this evening I will ask her again but it may be worth investigating other things that may be affecting your water retention as I am sure Bananas can't be the only thing.

Kam, congrats on the interview, just remember you are interviewing them as much as the other way around. Hope your in-laws have arrived safely by now.

I'm being a bit thick today...

Debbie - have you already got all your results or did you get some today? If so, I hope you did really well!

Love xxx

Well Andy's auntie & uncle (not the inlaws....Andy's dad and I haven't spoken for 4.5 years....thats a another story)!have been and gone! And will be back tomorrow on their way home! We had a really nice afternoon chatting. Anyway , I last saw them in October last year so they were very shocked when I opened the door 4 stone lighter!!! I hadn't told them I had lost weight. They were so thrilled for me, what a boost!! :D
Carrot cake went down very nicely.....but not down my throat! I had a bar made into biscuits and sat there nibbling them all 30 of them!
Debbie I do hope I lose I do feel pretty good. Prob because at last the swelling in my boob is starting to reduce! So look slike the abcess tha formed after my last surgery is going I'm so relieved as I was booked in for surgery on 22nd Aug if it hadn't strted to strink. Scan at 11am tomorrow so fingers crossed it has really strunk. (Sorry guys asking you to cross everything for me today)!
Just got a wiff of kids dinner so better get it out before it burns!
Kamilla x

Chuffed, chuffed, chuffed.

WLR is working for me - or I'm working for it or something!;) 3lbs off since last Thursday, bust, hips & neck have gone down, waist & thigh have gone up a little bit but i did some exercise yesterday and was retaining some water so not upset. Am now within the right body fat range for my age - should be between 21 & 33% and I'm 32% exactly down from 33.2 last week. BMI 28.5 down from 29 last week. It's dropping!

Hope everyone else is doing really well!

Love xxx

Great news Anja! I'm over the moon for you that you've found something that you're comfortable with and that works for you!
As for my exam results: I've already had them. Mine was an access course with 4 A level equivelents (A2s). My results equated to three As and a B - I was pretty pleased with that! I had my final confirmation of my acceptance into Chichester Uni today (now that they've had my results). I was pretty sure I was going but it's nice to see it in black and white isn't it.

Kam - What a boost to get a reaction to your weight loss like that. We keep forgetting how hugely different we must look when we see ourselves in the mirror every day!
I just had my weigh-in tonight and now I'm going to have to draw on YOUR strength because I stayed the same and feel pretty pi**ed off about it.
I know I haven't cheated (which makes it somehow even worse!) but my CDC reckons it could be because I've not done very well on the glugging the water dept this week. I always try to get AT LEAST 2 litres down and usually manage 3 but this week there were several days when I drank only 2L. It's sometimes just plain not convenient to drink gallons ... like if you're out with the kids on an outing (not easy drinking water when you're doing a tour of HMS Victory for example). Still, I should stop the 'excuses' and just get on with it shouldn't I.

My CDC also said that because I lost 6lb last week AND it's the end of my TOTM at the moment, it's most likely to be water retention (that old chestnut) and not a slow down of weight loss.

Whatever it is, I'm going to have to dig DEEP to pull back from this: I'm gutted with a capital G!!
I have this horrible nagging feeling that everything will just stop here. Logic tells me it won't but you know how a female brain works ....

So .... it's a great big sigh, roll up my sleeves and get stuck in for another week after losing NOTHING towards our challenge.
I'm so sorry for letting everyone down! :(

((((HUGS)))) Debbie....I'm so shocked that you haven't lost or I was until I read you were TOTM! I normally gain those weeks! And since I'm every 18 days I'm not surprised I'm so slow losing!! Hope your drinking as your reading this! I've done 5 litres today :eek: and am still going really would like to get back up to 6 litres again. I'm sure you'll be ok next week...no fantastic. After all I look to you for my inspiration.
Comments were lovely I'm on cloud 9 tonight....shame I've got 4 hours ironing to do and packing Toby's bag for camp. I feel like a nice soak in the bath with my book.
Better have my 2nd pack! So full from the breakie one still! Oh those husks I'm addicted!!
Talk soon and chin up.
Kamilla xxx

So much lost this week so congratulations to you all and Debbie don't be disappointed think about how much you've lost so far. And going through a turnstile wow. Do you get your last results next Thursday?
Irene xx

Thanks for the kind words of support girls :)

Yes Irene - I get my GCSE results next Thurs (24th). I'm obviously hoping for a good result in the English as I'm doing it at degree level in a few weeks (how embarrassing if I get a 'C' ... or worse!! :eek: ) but I'm not overly concerned about the maths result.
Remember how much I stressed out over the maths? And how I ditched it a month before the exam? Well, if I pass I'll be so shocked I'll fall about laughing ... and if I fail? I'll fall about laughing!! :D

I've decided that I'm having my hair done tomorrow in defiance of the static scales!! And I'll post my latest pic once I get my new coiffeur ;)

Catch you all later

PS
Well done on the fab loss this week Roch: see? you weighed yourself at home and then got all stressed out over nothing :)
Here's to next week and a great loss for US ALL!!

Back