Get to slinky again and staying there ......

Starting to feel different - is it slightly easier going upstairs? Still not smoothly walking up and down yet. My jeans are looser at the waist - but not yet the thighs...

Planned off plan meal yesterday to celebrate my birthday - fish and chips for the first time in over a year. Finances have been so tight we had no take outs or prepared ready cook meals. They were delicious. I chose small fries and still didn't eat it all. I had the rest for supper.

I was surprised that the scale didn't click up this am - good to be at the half stone 21st8lb a loss of 1st2.6lb (5.21%) in 34 days....

Starting to feel different - is it slightly easier going upstairs? Still not smoothly walking up and down yet. My jeans are looser at the waist - but not yet the thighs...

Planned off plan meal yesterday to celebrate my birthday - fish and chips for the first time in over a year. Finances have been so tight we had no take outs or prepared ready cook meals. They were delicious. I chose small fries and still didn't eat it all. I had the rest for supper.

I was surprised that the scale didn't click up this am - good to be at the half stone 21st8lb a loss of 1st2.6lb (5.21%) in 34 days....
Great news you are starting to feel the benefit of the weight loss. Happy belated birthday. Lovely to have a fish supper as part of your celebration.

That is excellent work losing 1st2.6lb in 34 days. You must be so proud of your hard work.

Happy Birthday! Well done that is brilliant. Here’s to a great year and you being healthy and happy. I see so many people saying lockdown has attributed to their weight gain (myself included) but we’re making strides and getting back up! Have a fantastic week xx

Happy Birthday Ali!

Just caught up on diary there. You are doing amazing

Thank you for your birthday greetings. Time flies - I am surprised to be 62 already!! Less surprised to be still fat.

Now my focus is to have a good older age. need to get more active and fit so I can live well for the next stage of my life and in my old age. I will shed and stay at the healthier weight.

@ladyfelsham and @tipperary I love a good tunic - to the mid thighs! I was going to write I am hoping that I'll be able to buy some new clothes later this summer. It's been a while! But then I thought I should be able to wear smaller clothes I already own. I think it will take a while - probably another stone or two.

Yesterday was exciting. I was below 300lbs on my daily weigh. Today 301.4lbs again. That's the joy of daily weighing! I don't fret.

I mark my current weight in my profile and the ticker when it's lower - and ignore upward blips. I change my signature on the weekly weigh in on Mondays.

Your consistency is amazing, much better than my own. I am so impressed.

Keto makes it so easy to skip breakfast and feel full for a long time. Carbs make me compelled to eat more. I've not been pushing myself to fast for longer. Mostly I am 16-8 sometimes longer, especially on days when I do the airbnb turnover as I usually don't eat until I've done the guest suite - when it can be 20-4. If I wasn't busy and against the clock, I doubt I'd be fasting for 20 hours.

My biggest issue on consistency is not eating when I'm not hungry. It's OK in the mornings. I've probably only broken my fast - eaten a couple of times when I am not hungry - when I've been cooking lunch for Mr AliGal. We often eat the same things then- but he often has some starch too. He also eats lots of cheese, meat or egg mayo sandwiches & quiche. I don't. I want to be at goal more than the short term pleasure of an egg mayo sandwich or a baked potato.

I also think it's essential to set oneself up for success - so I shop carefully.

If I have something when I'm out, it will be protein not sweet things. I buy sliced meats or crispy bacon or take hard boiled eggs with me. It's a big success for me that I broke the habit of buying cream filled meringues when I last went to Tesco's. I did buy some hot chicken instead - and broke my fast in the car. I was hungry so it wasn't extra food - it was my breakfast (at lunchtime) ....

I also am very clear about why I am doing this. I ache and am already handicapped by the excess fat I have. I want to get back to a life of physical ease and to have a good old age. I am very clear in so many ways what being a lot thinner will be like. I have a clear understanding of how it feels now - even when I am still carrying 8 stone of fat.

If I bring something into the house that's high carb It usually gets given to Mr AliGal to put somewhere in his study. He has biscuits, crisps and higher carb nuts. If I can't easily see them, they are safe!

I'm finishing up some higher carb things in the freezer and higher carb nuts like cashews from the freezer and store cupboard, too.

I'm OK cooking potatoes (as long as not roast), pasta and rice for him. If I do polenta (Lidl's handy premade blocks of polenta), I'll have some thin crispy sticky bits.

I buy him sliced bread. I realised after I lost a lot on a vlcd that most sliced bread is ho-hum - so stopped eating it. I like toast so I have put the toaster away. No crumpets, muffins or anything else toastable comes into the house now.

I was regularly making really good no knead bread in lockdown - which I can't resist hot and crispy with lashings of butter. So no homemade bread and no shop brought sourdough bread from the farm shop either. Too compelling.

I stopped having milk in coffee when I was on the vlcd - so usually have it black with erythitol, sometimes a slash of vanilla essence and occasionally with cream as treat or a snack so I can eat later.. I use erythitol because that has no impact on blood sugars. I have also bought some sucralose from Bulk Store on amazon. So I will experiment with a tiny amount of that. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/sweeteners

I have also bought a box of shirataki noodles so occasionally have a noodle stir fry when I want some. Check prices - you can buy in bulk at less than £4 a kg.

I could be lower carb - eating only green veg, no onions, tomatoes or peppers. But these in my cooked meals and salads make life more delicious. So while it may slow me a little - but also helps me to stay on track.

Occasionally I cook a keto mug cake or microwave 90 second "bread" but have not got into the habit of baking keto and low carb goodies - as I need to use up the fat I am wearing. I know I'll eat too much of sweet things. I've been making a whipped cream mousse with lime, lemon or chocolate, sweetened with erythitol. I portion it in little ramekins - to manage the calories. I don't actually count the calories. I don't count the carbs - but I do deliberately choose low carb foods.

I don't count calories but am thoughtful about how much butter, cream and oil I use. I always have a mayo/sour cream mix in the fridge for egg mayo, salads and coleslaws. The sour cream is just double cream soured with lemon juice. I also have a vinaigrette made with avocado oil I had in the cupboard for ages. I have no vegetable oils in the house. I'll post the reason why in the keto thread.

I have some dark choc in the house - so dark I can't manage more than 2 squares. I got cocky and thought a dark choc with hazelnut bar would be OK - but it had much more sugar in it so ate it fast. Compelled.

Finally I take vitamin D3 and also citrus bergamot which is supposed to lower cholesterol and maybe lower blood sugar, blood pressure and triglycerides too. I have also started chewing some fennel seeds in the evening. I love the taste. It is possible they are anti oxident, provide some calcium, magnesium, potassium, and manganese. It was used as an appetite suppressant in medieval England - so who knows - maybe it suppresses appetite too,.

My worst habit is Lidl Freeway XX Cola. I'm shedding weight so have continued with that habit. I guess it's not affecting my blood sugars.

The guy at Keto Fitness Club suggested I not tackle that habit until I'd got success on keto. I found their zoom call class on starting keto really useful - even though I know a lot already. They have an open Facebook group - good for UK info keto, especially on a budget and recipes. They have lots of youtube videos too.. I will join their online club (£10 pm) soon as it also has online exercise classes you can do at home - suitable for both fat people and for fit people.

The other really useful resources are the DietDoctor website (free is good - a subscription will get you access to more meal plans and excellent subscriber videos) , Dr Jason Fung's videos and Eat Like A Bear - you tube, website and facebook group. I bought some good online info from ELAB and will be doing her psychology module soon. KFC, DietDoctor, Jason Fung and ELAB all have enough info free - so anyone can do this.

I am eating a bit more in the evenings sometimes - when I am not hungry. I am not compelled - I fancy it. It's always keto.

Those extra calories could have been replaced by using up some more of the fat suit I am wearing. So I think that's where I need focus now. That's why I started chewing a few fennel seeds - it is a replacement for eating something else.

Fab detailed post about how you're tackling old habits and replacing with keto friendly options!

i love the shiritaki noodles too, they really fill me up - thanks for the reimder, I must get some more.

And I think it's a really good idea to avoid keto sweet stuff - Jim, one of the original Minis on the Atkins page, lost loads (about 14 stone I think?) on what was then keto, and he warned against eating "Frankenfoods" - the Atkins bars, etc. He just stripped everyout out of his meals except proten and veg, and every now and then had a blowout at the Carby Cafe :D.

I find the sweetened manufactured keto products either disgusting or compelling. I was the woman that would buy a box of WW or SW bars and then eat them all..... so I know I can't have the low carb versions in the house. My sweet mousses and diet cola have meant I don't feel deprived.

Thanks for reminding me about Atkins. I'll go and read the old posts. I've just checked it out - and realise that Atkins provides a good model for increasing carbs (5g at a time) to get to a sustainable maintenance. The Phase I food list is too restrictive for me. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/atkins

I like making some low carb treats, I find that freezing them means I will only eat them as intended in controlled portions most of the time. None of us get it right every day tho, and we all need to find what works for us as individuals

After watching Violet's video (on the Keto forum), I was paying really good attention yesterday to my hunger. I ate late in the day yesterday - having cleaning the guest suite and then used the really heavy vax carpet cleaner in there too. A serious sweat!

So because I didn't feel hungry, I went and did our shop at Lidl before eating when I got home. I had a tin of zero fanta in the car on the way home.

Now I am sitting here after 4pm - noticing that am not really hungry yet. It's interesting.

I was thinking yesterday how rarely have allowed myself t feel hungry. How I used to eat to the clock. Three meals a day plus probably some evening snack, and during lock down maybe cake.

Now I don't miss not eating breakfast - though sometimes I later in the day have breakfast type food. I have lost over a stone eating bacon and eggs. Mostly I only have one egg now when previously I would always have 2 or maybe 3 if scrambled. I'm eating well and not feeling restricted.

Now I will focus on having supper, having enough so I'm not snacky later.

yeah I remember Jason Fung speaking about that too, in the whole breakfast or no breakfast subject. He said by all means eat it if you're hungry, but don't eat it for the sake of it. No need to eat if we're not hungry.

We all do it tho lol

Join me on a 5 minute 10 day challenge - starting tomorrow targeting our tummies.

It's so true that we're conditioned to eat whether we're hungry or not - "it's lunchtime, I must eat"...so bravo for facing that down, you sound like you're dealing with it really well.

I do think it's better to relax about food and times and just let our body remember that it needs to be hungry and send the hunger signal - and then we can decide whether to respond to it right then or wait until we know we're properly hungry. SW says not to skip meals but I'm ignoring that and not having breakfast - I'm not hungry until midday so why force it?

It's so true that we're conditioned to eat whether we're hungry or not - "it's lunchtime, I must eat"...so bravo for facing that down, you sound like you're dealing with it really well.

I do think it's better to relax about food and times and just let our body remember that it needs to be hungry and send the hunger signal - and then we can decide whether to respond to it right then or wait until we know we're properly hungry. SW says not to skip meals but I'm ignoring that and not having breakfast - I'm not hungry until midday so why force it?
I do sw also. But if I do a cooked breakfast or baked oats I don't eat again till around 5pm .otherwise I would be eating for the sake of eating .so I will wait till I feel hungry again. I enjoy my food much more by waiting till I am hungry. I don't think it helps forcing food down. Besides there are days you seem to have hollow legs and eat a little bit more

A strange weigh In for me today. I daily weigh - and I went more than 2lbs down through the 300lbs after weigh in last week overnight and then back up overnight. That was exciting - and then frustrating. I definitely hoped to be through with the 300s by today.

I've been achey (especially my hips and wrists) and wonder if the weight increase overnight is inflammation at work. The stairs have been less easy in the past few days and yet cleaning the Arbnb is getting easier. I get into a sweat that feels good.

So I am pleased to be 0.4lbs down - but I would like to have been in the 200s this week heading towards and through 294 (so to the 20s in stone).

Funny how numbers matter!

However, 4.4lbs in 3 weeks whilst eating well on low carb is fine - so onwards and downwards.

Started Keto/low carb 22.3.21 start weight 318.6lbs I target weight 188lbs I target loss 130.6lbs I
Month One: 6.8lbs I 3.8lbs I 0.6lbs I 2.2lbs total 13.4lbs down
Month Two I 3lbs down I 1lb down I 0.4lbs I 17.6lb down in 42 days > 301lbs 113lbs total to go

Back