Getting fit for 40! My diary (feel free to join me)

Feels a little strange typing into the nether. But I would like to keep a little diary and maybe meet likeminded people along the way - there doesn’t seem to be any places to discuss diet anonymously on the internet these days. It’s all on Facebook where you are publicly announcing your weaknesses and fears and dare I say it… shame! I’d much rather keep myself private as FrozenFjords so I can be 100% honest and open.

So here we go.

Today I started the Shake that Weight diet. A VLCD where you replace normal meals with bars/packets/shakes etc. I had great success with the Cambridge diet a long time ago (and maintained well until after my third pregnancy where things have got a bit out of control) so I know I can do it! Just that now I’ve got to do it with three kids and a husband so need to avoid the pitfalls of being around real and yummy food and resisting it.

I can’t get out and walk much at the moment as it’s very snowy in Norway now. But I’m going to try and get out and go skiing at least a couple of times a week and dance around the house a bit. Keeping it fun!

So I’m on an 800cal a day plan. But if I’m struggling will allow 1000 (an extra food pack a day).

SW/ CW: 78kg
TW: 60kg

Today I went skiing down hill a couple of hours to gently burn a few cals and get out in the fresh air. I also have so far stuck to plan with a porridge, a bar and planning the spag bol and another bar tonight.

I am so determined to go into my 40’s the best version of me that I can be. I have just over 1 year to get to that point. I want to be proud of myself and not worry about what I’m wearing. Just putting on a pair of jeans and a shirt will look fine - good even! Without needing to cover up with extra cardi or coat. I’m finding it so much harder to shift weight these days. I think it’s probably my age starting to have an effect. Maybe the start of perimenopause…

I’d like more energy to play with my kids. And for my mobility to be better. It’s not awful now but I have noticed that it’s not what it used to be. I’m only 38! Not 68! So 18kg must come off (or around 3stone ish).

I’m so determined, and this will be my diary to help me along the way :)

Good luck to anyone else reading this :)

Welcome, Frozen Fjords! That sounds like a good plan. Good luck.

Hi! You're doing really well. I'm doing a week of vlcd keto shakes to look my best for a wedding. I've been keto on and off for 12 years. We're similar in age and I'd like to be thin by 40 too. I have 1 year and 9 months to get there. I'm so tired of losing and gaining the same weight. Just had my 8th baby 10 weeks ago.
How are you finding the transition over? Are you managing to feel good?

Omg 8 babies!! You’re a superhero! I have 3 and I’m overwhelmed a lot of the time - and 10 weeks is very recent but obvs you’re an expert now I expect 🤣

You know what I’m feeling ok about it all, was v low energy first week but feeling better now… got a break from all social engagement for a few weeks so making a good run at this.

Know what you mean about losing and gaining the same weight. That’s why I think VLCD is the best and only way to do it. Just get the weight OFF and then yoyo a couple of kg up and down at goal weight 😂

I’m doing Shake That Weight as we don’t have Cambridge Diet in Norway - and I’m loving the products and fact you can have a little solid meal (from a packet) like noodles/spag Bol and it feels like you’re joining in with the family.

We can totally do it - we will be fit for 40 ☺️

Don't worry I was keto for my last 3 whole pregnancies lol so yep well used to it. I just didn't fast for long or not eat solid food. I've done Exante before and I believe it's the exact same as shake that weight and Cambridge. This time I'm using slimfast keto shakes to minimise my carbs. People panic thinking you're not eating enough but that's not how the body works. I'd love to be able to completely water fast and have a week of my body in autophagy but I don't think I'm able to just yet.
You're doing absolutely amazing by the way, well done. Are the products tasty enough?

Wow that’s amazing go you! I was a carb monster in all my pregnancies 😂 wish I’d been more controlled.

It really annoys me how judgemental people are about diets… they think starvation mode is a real thing - it is not. They think vlcd is bad for you when it’s clinically proven to get the most effective way to lose weight and keep it off. The human body is incredible and v adaptive so I think people should fo whatever works best for them!

I’m loving the STW products actually yes! Especially the bars, muesli and the spag Bol. I have 4 a day so 800cals. Difficult to get out and walk at the mo as it’s -20 most days and a lot of snow… but planning on skiing more when the weather is a bit milder.

Keto slim fast shakes sound amazing- do you just have those or keto meals as well?

Wow that’s amazing go you! I was a carb monster in all my pregnancies 😂 wish I’d been more controlled.

It really annoys me how judgemental people are about diets… they think starvation mode is a real thing - it is not. They think vlcd is bad for you when it’s clinically proven to get the most effective way to lose weight and keep it off. The human body is incredible and v adaptive so I think people should fo whatever works best for them!

I’m loving the STW products actually yes! Especially the bars, muesli and the spag Bol. I have 4 a day so 800cals. Difficult to get out and walk at the mo as it’s -20 most days and a lot of snow… but planning on skiing more when the weather is a bit milder.

Keto slim fast shakes sound amazing- do you just have those or keto meals as well?
I'm just having the shakes this one week in the hopes of reducing my stomach a bit for the wedding. I'll be seeing family I've not seen in ten years so I want to look semi decent lol. My dress and coat are a size 14 so I'm pleased I'm fitting into that size. Yes it's been cold here in ireland although nowhere near minus 20, just about minus 3 or 4 I think. I tried to go to the hair dressers today and my car just kept sliding 🙃 so I put the hand brake on and it's now half way down my lane lol.
I totally agree with you and yes, starvation mode isn't a thing otherwise nobody would lose anything when they have bariatric surgery lol

I'm just having the shakes this one week in the hopes of reducing my stomach a bit for the wedding. I'll be seeing family I've not seen in ten years so I want to look semi decent lol. My dress and coat are a size 14 so I'm pleased I'm fitting into that size. Yes it's been cold here in ireland although nowhere near minus 20, just about minus 3 or 4 I think. I tried to go to the hair dressers today and my car just kept sliding 🙃 so I put the hand brake on and it's now half way down my lane lol.
I totally agree with you and yes, starvation mode isn't a thing otherwise nobody would lose anything when they have bariatric surgery lol
Ah I see - wow 10 years! That’s amazing - I understand why you want to look and feel good for that. A winter wedding sounds amazing!

Sliding cars are scary tho - it’s one thing I hate most about Norway - the bloody ice 😫 lasts for months here right through til April some years!

I hadn’t even thought of bariatric surgery - that’s such a good point!! Will use it next time someone tells me about starvation mode 🙄

Ah I see - wow 10 years! That’s amazing - I understand why you want to look and feel good for that. A winter wedding sounds amazing!

Sliding cars are scary tho - it’s one thing I hate most about Norway - the bloody ice 😫 lasts for months here right through til April some years!

I hadn’t even thought of bariatric surgery - that’s such a good point!! Will use it next time someone tells me about starvation mode 🙄
Haha I know, I love bringing it up to people too. Although I've not even had my shakes, I've been 2 days water only because I wasn't hungry at all. I haven't lost a pound 😆 I'm pretty sure I'll drop 3 or 4 all at once in a day or so. How are you getting on?
Ice for months would depress me.

I haven't been on here in a bit but I managed to get to 13st 9lb for the wedding. It was a great day. Then I came out of keto again for a while but I'm back in and about to view the damage.

Welcome back, Manda. How bad was it? And what's your plan?

Back