Getting Wed in 5 months - in a size 12 dress

JoRoger

Hi there don't know if anyone remembers me from my last stint on here, have been up and downing with SW ever since and for the past year but this time I am really, really going for it as my life has really changed, for the better!

Have been with my OH for nearly three years now, and we've known each other for ten. Earlier in the year we had some very bad news - his dad had a heart attack. Although it was 'mild' as these things go, it was enough to make him want to totally change his life and so they are downsizing their house, and he is retiring, leaving my OH as sole partner in their plumbing & heating business.

We're officially taking over the business next April and after a lot of talking decided (slightly unromantically I suppose!) that we'd better get on with this idea of getting married because when OH takes over the business it is going to be a heck of a lot of hard work and most likely money will be very tight for a good few years. We decided to make hay while the sun shines and have planned our wedding for next March, when we'll still have a fixed weekly income and someone else to run the business while we're away.

Because its the 2nd time round for both of us and because we have a seriously strict budget of just under £2k, we decided not to have the full-blown white wedding, we're just going to go off to the Isle of Wight with my mum and our DS, and possibly my grandad.

Being very organised and also very excited, I've already got my dress, I got a real bargain, £180 inc delivery, its absolutely beautiful and I'm expecting its arrival on Thursday.

Ok, here's where SW comes in - yes I would have slimmed down for the wedding anyway BUT...the dress is a size 12-14! And I am a 16 going into a 14. I need to lose at least 21lbs to get into that dress comfortably. I HAVE to lose it this time, there's no alternative, no going back, no corset-style ribbons to let the back out if needs be, it has a zip, and I have to fit into it come hell or high water.

I will need so much encouragement and distractions so obviously the first place I thought of was mini-mins, and here I am!

Hope the above wasn't too boring!

Also, myself, my cousin and friend have formed our own 'SW' group, we weigh on a Wednesday morning on her Wii Fit. I'm also trying to do one form of exercise per day, i.e. Wii Fit, Wii Zumba, exercise/dance games and so on, I'm also a member of gymophobics but am going to have to cancel my contract rather than renew it when it comes up at the end of September as I can't afford it and can't drive so can't get there very often! Lots of can'ts in that sentance I know but there you go, it just doesn't fit in with my work and so on at the moment.

Aiming to lose 2lbs a week but even 1lb would be good.

Anyone else getting married next year?

Well, you couldn't ask for a better incentive - good luck with it :) xx

Thanks ladies - its the best incentive possible! Earlier in the year I was bridesmaid for my best friend and although I did lose around 12lbs for it this really wasn't enough and I was so disappointed with myself and with the photos, especially as my best friend and her sister are so tall and slim. I had a get-out clause tho as the back was laced together rather than a zip so it didn't matter if I'd put on weight or not lost enough; this was not a good idea!

This time there will be no chance for that, I can't afford too many alteration fees and no way do I want to bulge over the top! Am really trying hard, finding the exercise part a lot easier because I have more energy from healthy foods, tho I am a real emotional eater which I'm trying very hard to beat.

Cannot wait until Thursday when my dress will be here, will be literally glued to the doorstep waiting for it to arrive!

I'm also thinking of being so very brave and posting a picture of my tummy, bum, and arms, and also of the dress when it gets here!! I have lost a good 16lbs across the last year but have obviously still got a long way to go, maybe a photo diary will help?

Ooh yeh, we all love a good photo ;) and they can be very motivational too, so added incentive :) xx

You can do this. You've got the biggest motivaation possible.

Your romantic proposal reminded me of my own. At the time I was working 2 jobs and hubbie said we might as well get married now whilst we can afford it :D
There was no romantic meal and down on one knee for me. Having said that we had lived together for 9 years and had 2 kids.

I can't wait to see pics of the dress.

We're all here to help. Good luck :)

I bet you ARE gonna do so well! and when the dress comes it will be that constant reminder of why you are doing it!
I got married last year and left the diet too late...when i ordered my dress she said i was to stay the same...i said i had wanted to diet but her words kept ringing in my ears...and the noise made me eat LOL
I am going to b a bridesmaid next summer tho and would love to actually look nice in one of the photos!! hehe.
Kepp us up to date on the food/exercise and of course THE DRESS! X

You can do this. You've got the biggest motivaation possible.

Your romantic proposal reminded me of my own. At the time I was working 2 jobs and hubbie said we might as well get married now whilst we can afford it :D
There was no romantic meal and down on one knee for me. Having said that we had lived together for 9 years and had 2 kids.

I can't wait to see pics of the dress.

We're all here to help. Good luck :)

WELL, despite the fact that it was me who went into the jewellers to order the ring myself (!!!) I have left the ultimate duty up to OH - he'll be choosing the time and place to propose when we're on holiday in September. We're keeping it all to ourselves at the mo, I've not even told my mum bless her, the only person who knows is my BF, because I need someone to be pink and girly with, and another friend I've just said what 'may' happen but have kind of left it up in the air as she's not that into weddings etc, but apart from that nobody knows. I've asked OH to be traditional and ask my dad for my hand :rolleyes: before we leave on holiday, and told him to tip his parents and BF off. Hope everyone is pleased when we get home!
Hols are in 4 weeks, so I'd like to have at least 5lbs off by then, then I shall relax a bit on holiday, then BANG when we get back its full scale WAR!!!

I bet you ARE gonna do so well! and when the dress comes it will be that constant reminder of why you are doing it!
I got married last year and left the diet too late...when i ordered my dress she said i was to stay the same...i said i had wanted to diet but her words kept ringing in my ears...and the noise made me eat LOL
I am going to b a bridesmaid next summer tho and would love to actually look nice in one of the photos!! hehe.
Kepp us up to date on the food/exercise and of course THE DRESS! X

Thanks Cai, I know how you feel as when it was my first time round, 6 years ago now, I just did not bother to lose, I was so much bigger than I am now, probably around 13st 4, so a good stone on top of what I am now, I just cba to do it and well when I got those photos back I was just absolutely gutted beyond belief. The dress was stunning and I was all done up in £100 worth of hair, nails and make up, £1k worth of dress, shoes and veil, but I just felt I looked absolutely awful :(:(:(

It isn't going to be like that this time, oh no! Got no choice, its that dress or a bedsheet!

Oh and also I was a BM this year, for my BF, and lost a good 12lbs leading up to it, it did make me feel a lot better and more confident but my arms looked bad and there were a few photos closer to the end where things are starting to fall out a bit where I think OMG!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Decided to edit the title of my thread slightly just to try and illustrate just what a terrible over-eater and punisher I am, i.e. I really punish myself if something goes wrong or if I'm angry or worried about something, I'll just eat loads :-( I only do it a little, I'm not as bad as I used to be, and mini-mins, fb and various other forums that I use are a good help as they help me construct my feelings and perhaps most importantly give my fingers something to do. But still, I will do it.

Its just any old excuse, my brain is my worst enemy and my worst defeater, I have to get my emotions and thoughts under control to be able to focus on my goal.

Hopefully my dress will be arriving either tomorrow or Thurs, and that will be the huge wake up call that I need.

Why do we do this to ourselves? Why can't we just believe that we are worthy of looking and feeling good, inside and out?

Hi all!!!

I'm getting married next year. I originally lost 7 stone with Slimming world when I first met my OH, I have spent the last 6 years or so putting most of it back on.... maybe it hasn't bothered him too much as 3 weeks ago he booked the wedding in Jamaica in April.....eeekkk! :eek:

Really looking forward to it, but on the 22nd of July I was a size 24 (I say was - because after only 3 weeks I am now fitting in a 22 - woohoo!) I am determined not to be the lardiest on the beach, but I go my work cut out as I only have 8 months!! I know I can't realistically be the same size as when he met me, but I can have a bloody good go at trying!! ;)

x

Hi all!!!

I'm getting married next year. I originally lost 7 stone with Slimming world when I first met my OH, I have spent the last 6 years or so putting most of it back on.... maybe it hasn't bothered him too much as 3 weeks ago he booked the wedding in Jamaica in April.....eeekkk! :eek:

Really looking forward to it, but on the 22nd of July I was a size 24 (I say was - because after only 3 weeks I am now fitting in a 22 - woohoo!) I am determined not to be the lardiest on the beach, but I go my work cut out as I only have 8 months!! I know I can't realistically be the same size as when he met me, but I can have a bloody good go at trying!! ;)

x

That's the spirit! Congratulations on your wedding, and in such a lovely location too. Maggie Sottero do some lovely flattering destination dresses btw if you haven't found your dress yet.

If you've already lost one dress size in 3 weeks, realistically I can't see any reason why you shouldn't be down to a 16 by next April. What do you think? We've both got a very good incentive.

Wow! just checked out Maggie Sottero - see what you mean... fab dresses! I haven't bought mine yet, I should have by now, but I don't know what size I'm going to be by then!!
I would be very pleased if I was a 16 by then... would be even more pleased to find you are a 12 by March.

I've already thought that the only fly in the ointment could be Christamas, but I have tried to plan ahead (yep already!!!) and keep reminding myself that Christmas in only ONE day and not a week ;)

Wow! just checked out Maggie Sottero - see what you mean... fab dresses! I haven't bought mine yet, I should have by now, but I don't know what size I'm going to be by then!!
I would be very pleased if I was a 16 by then... would be even more pleased to find you are a 12 by March.

I've already thought that the only fly in the ointment could be Christamas, but I have tried to plan ahead (yep already!!!) and keep reminding myself that Christmas in only ONE day and not a week ;)

Amazing aren't they?! Another good company for holding-it-all-in dresses is 'Forever Yours', they do dresses with serious internal corsetry that give just an amazing figure.

Get searching for stockists as soon as you can as the lead time on getting a dress in is usually 4 months, meaning that you're looking at Christmas for it getting here, which doesn't leave long before the wedding!

Don't worry about any changing room embarrassment - most dresses are stocked in sample size 16's with corset backs that can be pulled in or out, and they'll just take measurements and order your dress; don't worry either about the amount of weight you are going to lose affecting the dress - it will have to be altered anyway for your height, and your size anyway, no matter when you order it, so the important thing is just to bite the bullet and start looking as you don't want to be disappointed by leaving it too late. Plus, like me, it will give you the biggest kick up the bum incentive EVER!
And yes, Xmas is just one day, and by then you'll be so into SW that you will just make it one day, and jump back on again the next day.
Try not to worry to much about the dress or how you will look in the fitting room, just get shopping! At least the arrival of the actual dress that is yours will really spur you on.

MY DRESS IS HERE!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D
Ok so the day has finally arrived, the day that I get to see my dress! And wow is it beautiful! But WOW do I have a serious, serious mega amount of weight to lose. I can literally get about an inch of zip done up on it, I can't even picture what it is going to look like around the top.

Feel quite depressed actually, but excited and nervous at the same time. I can't believe I'm getting married!!! And I have a wedding dress hiding in the drawer under my bed!

When I weighed yesterday I was exactly 12st, so 2st off of that is 10st, and the last time I was 12st I was a comfortable 12, which should see me in that dress just fine. Really want to get it off as quickly as possible because I find it so much easier to maintain a weight loss, than I do to actually lose it in the first place.

Will need so much support on here please!!! x

Bad two days. Not saying anything other than that! Doesn't help that I just went on to facebook and one of my ex-colleagues who is a real boffin teachers pet type just announced she got her 2st sticker today - she joined the same class as me back in March :-( really, really dragged me down, feeling pants now!

Am now scratching my head wondering whether to join SW online to get the books and syn dairies and so on? Or get a directory off ebay? I really miss my classes but dont want to offend my cousin and friend by rejoining - we all started off going together but my friend got fed up of the image therapy bit and my cousin got embarrassed because her little boy wouldn't stop crying thru class so we all left together and started up our little coffee morning getting weighed on the wii fit, which is fine, but omg I do miss the structure and ridgidity of class, plus all the books and so on.

What to do?!!

If the class worked for you then go back :)

You really want to get into that dress so you need to do what's best for you. Could you do the class and still go to your cousins/friends one or are they at the same time.

What about suggesting to them that you go back to it and then you can keep them up to date with any changes. Make it sound like you're doing them a favour. Or just don't tell them at all.

Write on here whenever things are going wrong or PM one of us. We all want to see you in the dress and will help in any way we can :)

If the class worked for you then go back :)

You really want to get into that dress so you need to do what's best for you. Could you do the class and still go to your cousins/friends one or are they at the same time.

What about suggesting to them that you go back to it and then you can keep them up to date with any changes. Make it sound like you're doing them a favour. Or just don't tell them at all.

Write on here whenever things are going wrong or PM one of us. We all want to see you in the dress and will help in any way we can :)

Thanks for your advice. I'm meeting with my friend and cousin tonight and will need to talk about our coffee morning meeting anyway as I need to change the day, it could well be that they can't do a different day in which case I will join a club with my mum as I know she will want to lose weight too and SW is what truly works for both of us.

I know I can do this, just need to use all the tools and help that i have available plus strength and self-belief. I want that dress!

Back