Gg

Hi Gg,

What does yout therapist say about this... I do think that easing back in would be the way to go. Also, I think if you start back and find that it is the job and not you... then you could explore other options more easily from the strength of being at work. Remember that the "work" doc isn't your doc... find out what your peeps think.

MM

Cheers hon

Therapist is a bit concerned about my ability to keep the boundaries with the clients but also says at some stage I have to leave the therapy bubble.

The work doc is considered by UK law to be more qualified than the GP in assessing my fitness for work and the employer has the legal right to ask me to return to work as per his assessment outcome. If I don't they can terminate my contract etc. My industry doesn't exist in Ireland so my alternatives are limited... unless I move back to the UK which I don't really want to have to do.

So I'll just have to make sure I have as many support structures in place as I can.

gg, dont beat yourself up. trying to do much and set unrealistic goals is a sign of depression. im not on cd at the moment but didnt want to jump straight into another diet so i just eat smaller portions of everything and have slowly incorporated exercise. not much, just 3 sessions for half an hour a week.

go slow, dont put pressure on yourself. be kind to yourself, look after yourself and only YOU know if you should be back at work or not. your employers seem pretty great letting you have nearly a year off so they may be understanding if you want to delay going back??

Hi GG
I've just read your diary from start to finish and wanted to say hi and thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings in such a brave and honest way - so many of the things you say really resonate with me and I'm sure many others - I wish you nothing but the best and look forward to reading more about your progress -good luck

Thank you so much SB! That is so lovely to hear :)

Hi Gg, this is my first day on this site, so hope I'm replying correctly. Just wanted to say i admire everything you're doing and can tell you will reach all your goals. I recognise, in myself, a lot of the things you have identified. The various addictions on and off over the years, the bad relationships and the ex situation. I'm at the beginning of the road to dealing with all my issues, but reading ur posts has been an inspiration and i only hope that can work through them with as much self awareness and bravery as you are.
Go for it girl xx

Thank you so much Joanne and welcome to the site :)

It's been a roller coaster journey but I am learning so much about myself that I know I won't be able to go back to that person I used to be who wondered why I couldn't seem to just get a grip on life.

Hi guys

Well to steal Kes's phrase I seem to have gotten my mojo back. The house is clean, bills are up to date, parcels ready for post, ironing done.

I feel in a way I let myself get so scared about the idea of going back to work that I forced myself to do everything I could to feel bad so that I could say to myself "I'm still to sick to go back to work". So I essentially triggered my own depressive episode!! Nuts or what?!!!

But I am ready for the challenge of going back to work. The routine and having some formal structure to my day can only benefit my mental well-being. So bring it on!!! (In about 6 weeks hopefully to allow me to work myself up to it and get in another visit to my brother lol).

Thank you all my lovely minmins friends for your support; what would I do without you all :grouphugg:

WOW... I am so happy for you. (I'd have to be incredibly cheerful to iron... myself).

I hope you have a good day, tomorrow and beyond.

MM

Just sat and read your diary! Wow woman! You sound more positive today take baby steps daily !

hi, just wanted to say thanks a million for the personal message. for some reason i cant reply to you via PM. its good news about the equality act and to be honest being off work is the best thing i have ever done. i can finally start to see things much clearer. whilst working my vision was clouded by stress and issues there.

thanks for all your help GG, hope you are having another positive day today.

Well last week was a strange old week all round. I never managed to really pick myself back up and the self-sabotage continued (cancelling appointments, isolating myself, negative self-talk, day-time sleeping, staying up into the early hours, bingeing). I could see it happening but I just gave in to it.. I won't say I felt powerless because to be honest I don't think that's true, in fact it was more like I welcomed it with open arms and wrapped it around me like a favourite cosy blanket.... but conversely the cosy blanket felt a bit prickly compared to how it felt before so I couldn't really truly "lose" myself in it like I have before. I guess that's progress in a way. I contacted my CDC saying I need some time out to think about whether CD is right for me as I felt it was a waste of her time and mine to keep "re-starting"... she sent me a lovely supportive text saying she understood but also encouraging me to keep going.

So I seem to be doing OK today... have been working the programme and re-arranging all my missed appointments. I'm still exploring in my head what triggered last week and I am still veering towards fear being the trigger .. fear of stepping back into the "real" world, of leaving my "safe" bubble that I live in at the moment ..

So I've been doing some more reading from my "Adult Children of Alcoholics" book.

The theory is that adult children of alcoholics appear to have characteristics in common as a result of being raised in an alcoholic home. The degree of the characteristic can vary from individual to individual. The characteristics are:

• Isolation, fear of people, and fear of authority figures.
  • Difficulty with identity issues related to seeking constantly the approval of others.
  • Frightened by angry people and personal criticism.
  • Have become an alcoholic (or addict) yourself, married one, or both. A variation would be the attraction to another compulsive personality such as a workaholic. The similarity is that neither is emotionally available to deal with overwhelming and unhealthy dependency needs.
  • Perpetually being the victim and seeing the world from the perspective of a victim.
  • An overdeveloped sense of responsibility. Concerned about the needs of others to the degree of neglecting your own wants and needs. This is a protective behavior for avoiding a good look at yourself and taking responsibility to identify and resolve your own personal difficulties.
  • Feelings of guilt associated with standing up for your rights. It is easier to give into the demands of others.
  • An addiction to excitement. Feeling a need to be on the edge, and risk-taking behaviors.
  • A tendency to confuse feelings of love and pity. Attracted to people that you can rescue and take care of.
  • Avoidance of feelings related to traumatic childhood experiences. Unable to feel or express feelings because it is frightening and/or painful and overwhelming. Denial of feelings.
  • Low self-esteem. A tendency to judge yourself harshly and be perfectionistic and self-critical.
  • Strong dependency needs and terrified of abandonment. Will do almost anything to hold onto a relationship in order to avoid the fear and pain of abandonment.
  • Alcoholism is a family disease which often results in a family member taking on the characteristics of the disease even if they are not alcoholics (para-alcoholics). Dysfunctional relationships, denial, fearful, avoidance of feelings, poor coping, poor problem solving, afraid that others will find out what you are really like, etc.
  • Tendency to react to things that happen versus taking control and not being victim to the behavior of others or situations created by others.
  • A chameleon. A tendency to be what others want you to be instead of being yourself. A lack of honesty with yourself and others.
When my therapist first raised to me the suggestion that I was an ACOA I really couldn't see it. I mean my Dad drank but not always, yes he had massive binges a couple of times a year which resulted in huge fights which often included him waking a neighbour at 3am accusing them of having an affair with my mum but that was more about his jealousy than alcohol, yes he hid evidence of his drinking (hiding empty cans in the shed etc) but that was because he had been told by his diabetic consultant that he shouldn't drink anymore at all i.e was for medical reasons and he always battled with the doctors... the list of "reasons" goes on.

But as we discussed alcoholic behaviours more I began to see the "family disease" aspect.. i.e. how his drinking impacted on us all and how it brought so much negativity into our home, how it made him emotionally unavailable as a husband and a father. And then I began to see how that affected my core beliefs... and how i had all of the characteristics above.

And I think some of those characteristics came into play last week.. the fear of authority figures, the avoidance of feelings, the poor problem solving etc.

I don't "blame" my Dad.. he had his own demons and didn't have any insight into them.. but I am beginning to really acknowledge the role his behaviour (and my Mum's in the interplay between them) affected my beliefs about myself. And I can see that I am breaking the cycle.. that I am learning other ways of doing things .. and that I will make mistakes but as long as I keep working on myself (with my therapist) I will continue to make overall positive progress.

Thanks for reading

GG, hope you are well and good to see you are still working on it all. here for you if you need me.

GG,
You are one hell of a determined lady!! You have soo much going on but yet you have still given me lots of encouragement about starting CD. You have done amazing...keep going!! If you ever need a chat I am here...ready and waiting...and hungry lol!

Hope you have a lovely evening,

Chelle xx

I think I have this condition too, both my parents were alcoholics and fighting, disruptive childhood, violence, etc. I too have come off CD completely, I lost a couple stone and a half and now go to the gym 4 times a week 2 times a week with a training session with a personal trainer. Its taken three weeks to stabilise my weight, my weight at first was jumping up and down sometimes by half a stone after I had eaten, now it has levelled at 16stone8 and I am on about 1500cals a day, my glycogen has fully replenished! I think CD managed to kick start me and without the weight I lost they would be no way that going to the gym would have not hurt physically. I have committed myself to a year long commitment to personal training twice a week for 30 weeks over the next year in intervals of 10 weeks. I feel a lot better in myself and I just couldnt cope with not eating real food, but I now know that I have not to let the addiction take over. I know that I am flawed in many ways, I know that I need more time to get myself to the healthy person I need to be. I have alot of health problems in the last couple of years and know that if only for my health and to be there for my young children I need to start looking after myself, its not just to look better anymore but to reduce the amount of fat surrounding and strangling my internal organs. I need to tell myself that only I can do something about this noone else can. Only you can figure it out GG, only you can work out they right way for you, if its not CD you will find a way. Good Luck on your journey

Hey Gg, I've just spent the last hour reading your diary posts because you've always been so helpful to me. You are making great progress, sometimes it's hard to see, but by reading your diary in one sitting it's really apparent.

I'm feeling scared about going back to work and I'll have only been off 7 weeks (hopefully). I'm going in on Thursday before my physio appointment to speak to my managers manager (if she'll see me). I'm prob not going to mention the FB incident unless it comes up naturally.

I just want to clarify that I WON'T be expected to do the 3 weeks of on-call I missed when I've been off - because this is what his majesty wants me to do. It's hard enough being on-call for 1 week at a time without doing 3 consecutive weeks as soon as I'm back from being off sick. The thought if this terrifies me!! As does how he'll treat me when I get back. Everyone else has been wonderful it's just him!

Anyway sorry for hijacking your diary with my woes ;) hope you're having a good day x

GG, hoping all is well. XX

Hey Surf and Leeds

Thank you so much for you support. Surf... I strongly suspect what he is suggesting is potentially illegal ..ACAS might be a good place to call before you go in... armed and dangerous is always better!

Well I'm 100% day 2 today and feeling OK with it but my brain is fried!

Had therapy today and had a big chat about what was going on last week. The outcome was kind of shocking.. my therapist came straight out and said that what I'd experienced were symptoms of post-traumatic stress .. that emotionally I flash-backed to where I was this time last year and all the damaging behaviours that came with it. He also said that he was really really concerned that if I do go back into that particular work environment (with it's particular culture, way of working etc) I would relapse and become very ill again. I was in tears in the session and that is something that hasn't happened for months (was a time I couldn't get through a session for crying!). He's going to talk to my GP and has also suggested he write a letter to my manager. I'm supposed to speak to my manager tomorrow and I'm going to tell her that I don't entirely agree with the report as I felt the doc didn't really listen to what I was trying to explain to him and that i'd like to initiate the 2nd opinion process.

I then went down to my sister and talked to her and she told me she agreed... that she thought it would be a bad idea to go back to my current company too.

I left there reeling but in a way clear headed...I could already see how some of the company's behaviours have already got me thinking in my old dysfunctional ways about what I will need to do once I get back there etc. But on the other hand I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place.....the recession has hit us hard here and job opportunities are few and far between. My job doesn't actually exist in Ireland at all (my client load is based in UK.. it's just my physical location that is in Ireland); the industry was beginning to take off but the recession has killed it stone dead. I have been out of "clinical nursing" so long that I would be considered unskilled to work on a ward etc. The other types of jobs I could do (GP practice nurse) are scarce on the ground too. And as we all know the bills have to be paid.

So one of the things is that there might have to be a trade off. To get a job that helps me stay healthy (one where the work culture isn't as harsh and isolating, where I see people face to face on a day to day basis etc) might mean having to move back to the UK which would mean leaving my sister... and I love being close to her and being involved in her family etc.

So lots of thinking and trying to come up with alternatives over the next few weeks. .. but first things first.. speak to the manager tomorrow.

Back