Gill SW diary -green days

Im Recently a vegetarian so looking for some.ideas :)

What are these homemade protein bars? X

Hi Clover,

I am normally really active and go to the gym most days and find it makes a big difference to me to have more protein. The protein bars I buy are lovely but really high in syns so I decided to try and make my own. I made some lovely apple and cinnamon cake bars.

I use:
50g ready brek (9 syns)
3 scoops chocolate protein powder (15 syns)
2tsp baking powder (1 syn)
2tsp cinnemon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp all spice
2.5 tbsp stevia sweetener
2 grated apples (not sure of exact syns but it is baked in the cake so guessing at 2)
3 egg whites
200g cottage cheese

then I mix it all together and bake for about 20 minutes. Then cut into 12 bars.

they are lovely, especially warm with a dollop of fromage frais on top :)

Do you freeze them or are they ok to just leave in a box?

Do you use Stevie for anything else except for making the bars - I bought some when we were in India and didn't like it - really weird after taste especially the tablets but if it is used in cooking will be ok?

My son is a keen cyclist (and vegan) and was telling me today about something natural he has bought to make a high protein drink - will ask him about it tomorrow and tell you - was interesting but as I only do walking, pilates and aqua and such did not register too much with me but will let you know what it was.

Thanks Systema that sounds interesting :)

no don't really use it apart from in baking, don't use sweetener or sugar at all apart from in baking. They are ok just kept in the fridge then I take one out when I fancy and can eat warm or cold and I really like them. Suppose the benefit of the bought ones though is that they don't need to be kept in the fridge.

I don't use sugar at all and don't have hot drinks except Chocolate Highlights so don't buy sweetener but saw a recipe on here for chutney using it so am going to give it a go when I get home. I do find the bought bars too sweet but going to make yours soon.
It was powdered hemp and he bought from Amazon but says they have it Holland and Barratt.

Thanks hun :) I'm vegetarian so can't do the chicken strips but am at home at the moment (due to broken leg) so fruit and veg is not a problem at all. I will munch on that as much as possible ;)

also going to make a pasta and veg bake today and some other bits so I have plenty of SW stuff ready if I need it. My main problem is making sure I'm truly hungry before i eat, which I'm not all the time :rolleyes:

You can get Quorn chicken strip deli style as well as the flat chicken style slices (and ham and turkey too). They also do frozen strips and 'fillets'/. That's if you like Quorn.

I don't use sugar at all and don't have hot drinks except Chocolate Highlights so don't buy sweetener but saw a recipe on here for chutney using it so am going to give it a go when I get home. I do find the bought bars too sweet but going to make yours soon.
It was powdered hemp and he bought from Amazon but says they have it Holland and Barratt.

I am the same, only like hot chocolate haha :)

i have tried the hemp protein before but couldn't stand the taste of it. Thank you for asking him though. The one I use now is just a whey protein so just protein, no carbs or fat. Tastes nice too :)

thanks Deathworm, I've never really looked at the quorn range as I do struggle a bit with it (not convinced about the taste) but I do love the Linda McCartney rosemary and onion sausages, I could eat them every day if they weren't so expensive!

Wednesday

B - tomato soup with Parmesan hea

L - veg, leeks, carrots, suede with cottage cheese

D -cottage cheese and bean cake made with cauliflower, cheese heb

snacks - alpro almond milk unsweetened HEA

hoping to stick with minimal calories today as weigh in tomorrow.... Hate the scales so much! They have the power to make or break my whole day, dread weigh in!

does everyone always weigh every week? When I was younger I use to weigh myself several times a day but now I really dread it. I can very sooo much from day to day but if I gain it really upsets me. I know its just a number but that number has so much power!

Last edited:
Weigh in this morning and I lost 3/4 of a lb haha, looks like it may be a slow journey for me :eek:

Thursday

B - scan bran cake HEB plus 2 syns for cocoa had with loads of berries

L - mushy pea curry (made without baked beans as I had run out of them)

D - salad with mixed beans and cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese HEb

snacks - alpro unsweetened almond milk HEA

Last edited:
Well done on your loss. It may seem slow going but it's so worth it in the end! Keep with it xx

Well done on your loss. It may seem slow going but it's so worth it in the end! Keep with it xx

Thank you :) definitely better off than on, just wish it would come off quicker! Lots of speed foods this week for me....

Thanks Gemma. I think I'm just hoping that its something ill be able to stick to long term and I feel more confident it works because its still a loss ;) really hope it speeds up though as I really want to feel confident on holiday in June.

Planning for the weekend now as may not get on here tomorrow. Will edit if things change and add syns ...

Friday

B - 5 scan bran HEB with mushy pea curry

L - mushy pea curry

D - big salad with mixed beans, half jacket potato with cheese HEb

snacks - alpro unsweetened HEA, options hot choc 2 syns

Saturday

B - berries and ff

L - salad with feta HEA, cottage cheese

D - big salad with mixed beans and feta HEB, houmous HEB, cottage cheese

snacks - alpro unsweetened hea, pear, bit of pitta bread (guessing 5 syns), 50g dark choc (think this is about 11 working from 1 syn = 20 cals) bit over today on syns but didn't have many yesterday and won't tomorrow)

Sunday

B - salad (almost lunch time) with feta HEA, cottage cheese

L - stuffed vegetable mushrooms and salad with Parmesan HEB, cottage cheese

D - sweet potato chips with salad, cottage cheese, feta HEB

snacks - protein bar 2.5 syns with an apple, berries and ff

Last edited:
Monday

going out for a meal tonight but already checked the menu. Have the option of vegetable lasagne with salad or asking for a starter as a main, which is feta, vegetable sticks, houmous and olives and getting a side salad with it. Ill give away the olives and use my HEs on the other bits. Just going to have a look on here how bad the vegetable lasagne could be (using ready meals as a guide as where we are going I very much doubt its home made)

B - apple, berries, ff, protein bar 2.5 syns

L - mushy pea curry

D - yet to be decided!

edited - meal changed to carvery so I had loads of veg and a roast butternut squash, few syns for the tomato ketchup I added to the veg.

Last edited:
Tuesday

B - protein bar 2.5 syns with apple, berries and ff

L - mushy pea curry

D - veg and cottage cheese and bean cake (made with sweet potato and butternut squash) HEB x 2 for cheese (Parmesan and feta)

snacks - alpro unsweetened almond milk HEA, cottage cheese. Apple, another bar 2.5syns, SW houmous and a carrot

Last edited:
Trying to stay at the lower end of my syns until weigh in after going over on Saturday. Hoping for a good loss this week although I am feeling quite heavy ATM :(

really enjoying SW though just hoping it works for me. Having loads of speed foods and loads of veg/salad this week so hopefully it will all help.

bridesmaid fitting will be late May now, date to be confirmed but hoping to be 10.7lb or close to that by the end of May

Back