Giving blood

cuddlyfairy

Gold Member
Hello all,

I gave blood this afternoon. Afterwards I had a black coffee and had a chat with a friend of mine who knows I'm on LT. She asked in the National Blood Service were okay about me donating and I admitted I hadn't actually mentioned it to them. To be honest, it didn't cross my mind. It got me to thinking so I popped in to see my pharmacist on my way home and asked her. Typically she had no idea! :rolleyes:

I just wondered if anyone else has given blood while on LT or whether they were advised not to.:confused:

I was careful about getting up afterwards and sitting for a while so I didn't faint but then I usually do coz I have low BP.

x

I would imagine it would be ok hun but ive never done it as always had new piercing or tattoos haha xxxxxx

I have had blood tests....which were all fine.... so, i would say it was ok to give blood..the buggers took a shed load out of me!
What i was wondering tho was how you got away without having the sugary biscuit/ toast they give ya afterwards?

well done on giving blood!

they test all blood first anyway, so dont worry. maybe mention that you are on a vlcd next time, they would prob be more worried about your health and you passing out than the ketones in system!

i used to give blood before i started taking a smartie packet worth of drugs everyday ;) got upto ten pints before hand so paid my way hopefully, hope i never need it though!

Woooo! this is SPOOKY! I just got my letter requesting me to attend in todays' post and I was going to ask the same question :confused:
However, on thinking about it, I've been a nurse for 37 years and all my experience is telling me that it should be fine. The worry that the BTS have is whether you are anaemic or not, and we get all the iron we need in the dreaded LT, so it really sholdn't be a problem. I'm going to go anyway. As the advert says "If we only gave blood to people who've donated, how would you stand" Obviously it's a personal choice for each person, I'm just saying what I feel.:cool:

Back