Extra Easy Giving it my best shot!

Pootle

Silver Member
Hi all, I'm returning to SW after my compulsive eating has made me gain any weight I've lost over the years on various diets. I am now only two pounds off my heaviest ever weight. My knees hurt, I have heel pain and suffer from acid reflux.
I also have a wardrobe full of clothes I can't fit into.
Hoping this forum will help me to get back on the straight and narrow path.
Made porridge this morning with skimmed milk but then chopped up an apple into it before I microwaved it so technically I suppose the apple should count as cooked fruit now. Whoops!

Last edited:
Welcome back. Starting to suffer from acid reflux was the final straw for me too. It was a real wake up call and certainly made me get off my butt and start eating healthy again.

Spent the morning sanding and painting some kitchen shelves then went out for lunch. Had steak and salad minus dressing but did have a little sachet of light mayo with my steak. Yum!

Running late this morning so breakfast was two rice cakes with sliced banana on top.
Lunch will be last night's left over pork mince and veg in lettuce leaf wraps and dinner will be cod with courgette spaghetti.

Didn't have lunch as came home from work poorly. Slept right through afternoon. Just had cod wrapped in pancetta with courgette spaghetti and two desert spoons of cous cous.

Well, breakfasts and lunches have been on plan but evening meals, well, been s bit lazy. Had some panettone and chocolate too. Weighed myself this morning though and I've lost 2lbs. Just think what I could have lost if I'd been doing it properly?
Official weigh in on Monday.

Pootie I feel the same, my belly bloats like I'm pregnant with a baby elephant. My knees hurt even when laying down in bed if they are bent. Clothes that don't fit, and I'm the heaviest I've ever been even when pregnant.
I'm away at the moment so finding all very hard, but home Wednesday so I'm putting my head in SW mode to get this weight off so I can be healthier and happier xx
I wish you luck and willpower Gagirl. I must admit, I get So angry with myself when I have junk of all the years I've wasted trying various diets and not seeing them through. You read posts on here from countless people and we're all saying the same thing...back again, heavier than ever, piled it all back on plus more. I know I've only got myself to blame but I really struggle to stick to anything for long enough to be the happy, healthy person I long to be.

Oh dear, Miller and Carter chicken schnitzel and chips for lunch. Don't eat many of the chips, but still not a good choice. Will have to make up for it tomorrow.

Watched a really interesting program on TV last night; how to diet well or something like that. It seems that fat is our friend (good fats) and sugar, through carbs (our bodies turn the starch into glucose) is our enemy.
Now, I know that cutting out carbs works because when I did the Dylan diet, (mostly protein) I lost 2.5 stones in 8 months.
Should we be limiting carbs on SW as much as we can?

Bought some lamb pieces yesterday. Rather than make a casserole or curry I thought I'd make lamb kebabs. Meat marinating and will alternate with onion and peppers. I'll have it with corn on the cob and maybe some cous cous.

I've always thought, when doing SW in the past, that you could eat as much free food as you want. How does this teach overweight people, who clearly have a problem with eating too much (I know my portions are too big!) to eat sensibly and healthily? Is the idea that initially, because carbs like pasta, rice and potatoes are free, you eat as much as you want, gradually eating smaller amounts as you add in more speed veg?

Just shared a really yummy snack with husband and teenage son. Sliced up two apples and two pears and son and I dipped into a peach and passion fruit yoghurt. Husband had two massive chunks of cheese with his apple (when will he learn?!)
Healthy and delicious! Also made my son eat fruit. He's too lazy to eat it from the fruit bowl but will happily eat it if I slice it and remove the core.

A good day today; fruit and yoghurt for breakfast, veg cous cous, an apple and a banana for lunch and SW fish and chips with peas and sweet corn for tea.

Fruit and yoghurt for breakfast, veg cous cous again for lunch and spaghetti with meatballs and tomato sauce for tea.

I've always thought, when doing SW in the past, that you could eat as much free food as you want. How does this teach overweight people, who clearly have a problem with eating too much (I know my portions are too big!) to eat sensibly and healthily? Is the idea that initially, because carbs like pasta, rice and potatoes are free, you eat as much as you want, gradually eating smaller amounts as you add in more speed veg?

Hello! Good to see you are settling back into plan well - hopefully you get the big loss you were hoping for at official weigh in day!

I personally love carbs and I would really struggle to follow any eating plan without them. I think the 'free foods - eat as much as you want' needs to be clarified better. I have heard so many people say it, but the official SW line is that you don't have to measure out how much rice or pasta or potatoes you eat, but just eat enough until you feel full. Don't eat to the point where you feel like you can't move. That's the difference really, it's not eat as much as you absolutely want, it's eat as much as you need until you feel full. I know I definitely overdo it on the carbs - some days I will have a portion of rice with dinner (a boil in the bag size portion) and I will have a side of homemade SW wedges with it if I am really hungry. I don't do it very often but I'm not afraid to do it. I think a big part of adjusting to a new way of eating is identifying when we are full and stopping there. I know my favourite foods I can sometimes just keep eating it until it's gone, when I know it has been enough already. I am getting better but I think from reading these boards alone, it's a conscious thought for a lot of people.

Best of luck for weigh-in!

Weighed myself this morning and have put on half a pound!
Have made myself write down everything in a diary as I have think I may have been 'underestimating' the syns I was eating each day.
But Ahhhhhh! There are cupcakes in the staff room today. Must resist!

Last edited:
Weighed myself this morning and have put on half a pound!
Have made myself write down everything in a diary as I have honk I may have been 'underestimating' the syns I was eating each day.
But Ahhhhhh! There are cupcakes in the staff room today. Must resist!

Aw try not to be too disheartened. I used to weigh myself inbetween days and had to stop myself from doing it, as it doesn't give a true reflection.

It really is best to just wait until weigh day if you can... apparently our weigh can fluctuate up to 2/3lbs per day! Weighing at approx the same time each week, in the same clothes is a true representation. Try not to be too disheartened... and keep going!

Thanks, I know I shouldnt weigh in between but at least it gave me a kick up the backside to keep a true food diary.

Back