Grain Free Weight Loss - 4 stone in 5 months - :)

Aww two girls ... lovely ages (if not very hardwork,) I know having a 19 mth old.
Yes grains make me feel ill tbh - bloated, migraine, rotten stomach ache... I think I may have a gluten sensitivity.
I have read a few pages of your diary and your menus sound yummy. I am trying to lose a few stone and when I get to my goal weight (size 10/12) I will eat primal/paleo to maintain. I also tend to give my daughter less carbs than normal. She occasionally has porridge for breakfast with full fat organic cows milk, rice maybe once or twice a month and the odd Tuc biscuit... other than that her grain carbs are very few and far between. She loves meat, cheese, all veg (but mushroom), all fruit, ground nuts, home made over chips, dried fruit, nut butters etc. I am also just finishing breastfeeding (down to one last feed at night) and she only drinks water or the odd cup of cows milk. She has a huge appetite and is very slim but strong so what she eats seems to suit her.
I do think it is the way forward for health in the long term... it is scary what carbs do to us. I have recently being reading studies on wheat and mental illness and how they are correlating ... no more bread for me ... ever... :eek: ... well maybe the odd bit of birthday cake (and the terrible stomach ache that follows.) x

Difficult isn't it when it comes to feeding kids! Mine both have porridge in the mornings and I've cut right back on bread but its the convenience of it, especially when at school (stopped letting her have school dinners as meals are awful and she can pick what she wants so ends up eating loads of white bread coz she doesn't have at home!) kiddies do need carbs but I'm trying to do it in the form of sweet potato and rice. X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I am now the proud owner of a pair of WeightWatchers electronic scales so I will even be able to celebrate a half pound loss. Roll on tomorrows weigh in... I need at least 2lbs to be on target.

Have a lovely Friday night all... I have a double date with Coronation Street. X

Hi Sam, hope your weigh in goes well. I'm doing calorie counting. I used to do Slimming world.

Glad your dd is not teething as much. My son has taken two hours to go to bed the last few nights and last night was up at ten for 2.5 hours. I'm sure its teeth. Medicine wouldn't work. He kept standing in his cot and me and dh kept putting him back down. He is learning to walk too. I've read when they learn something new sleep goes out the window. I even ended up feeding him last night at midnight (not a good thing to do ) kids!

Well done for breastfeeding this long btw.

The sun is out, yay. No plans today but may go for a walk if it warms up outside.

Have a good day. X

Good morning Lisa. Yay sunshine here too... it makes me feel very positive. I so feel your pain Lisa. Yes my L/O teething came back last night, an hour to get off to sleep... awoke twice and then awoke at 2am and cried until 4.30am. Cuddles, lullabys, feeding, liquid paracetamol, nothing worked.
I do remember when my daughter was learning to walk she had very broken sleep for two weeks and then all of a sudden the day she cracked walking she started sleeping better than she ever had before (12 hours through and a 90 minute day nap.) Like all things... this will pass and before we know it we will be able to sleep again and the babies will be toddlers with full sets of teething and very few developmental wakings during the night. I hope you get a good nights sleep tonight. x

Well I got weighed on my new scales... 2lbs lost. I am pleased that my old scales weren't miles out but I really wanted 3lbs to be on target and 3lbs would get me into the 13sts. Well it just makes me all the more determined... this week I am aiming for that 3lb like a missile lol. I also took my measurements today and since I started I have lost 1.5 inches off my bust, 2 inches off my waist and 1 inch off my hips... in total 4.5 inches.

A trip around B&Q is on the agenda today and then we are taking little one to a local park to feed the ducks so a busy Saturday... have a lovely Saturday everybody. x

Day 14

B/fast: Quinoa porridge with almond milk, pinenuts, sultanas (Thanks for the idea Vanwoodle)
Lunch: Homemade chicken soup and veg
Tea: Liver and shallots with homemade gravy (with potato flour), broccoli, greenbeans
Snks: Blueberries

Exercise: 40 minute walk and play in park with daughter, crunches, squats, dumbells x 35 - 100 kegs :rolleyes:

P.S. The job was fine Lisa... it was nice to get out for a rest to be honest lol. It's homecare for an agency and it's quite flexible with the hours I work so it fits in with the O/H working different shifts. I am also currently doing a part-time English degree with the Open University. I am hoping to go into teaching when my daughter goes to school... a few teachers I know say I must be mad to want to become a teacher... they seem very disenchanted with things at the moment. Ah well... :) x

Hi Sam, great weight loss. That pound will come off before you know it. Your doing so well. It's always nice to aim for the next stone bracket.
I think measurements are better to go on than weight really.

Ah, which teeth does your dd have coming through ? I think the molars are probably the most painful. Your night sounded like mine. I am a bit worried that feeding him last night will make him start having night wakings again for milk but hopefully not.
Oh well, I guess breastfeeding burns calories.

I'm glad your job went well. Sometimes its nice to get away from being mummy and have some adult conversation.

Teaching sounds great. Good hours too but very rewarding I imagine, something good to aim for.

I'm currently on maternity / annual leave and haven't been at work since December 11. I'm due back at the end of this month which will be a wake up call.

Have a lovely day Sam
X

Well it was a day late but better late than never... I hopped on my new scales today (as they are a bit of a novelty) and that pesky pound that prevented me from being in the 13s yesterday has gone. I am thrilled... I am now 13st 13. Still a long way to go but I feel as though I am actually making some progress now and all this dieting malarky is worth it.

My little one still took an hour to go to sleep last night, she slept until 5am and now is one crabby madam. I find this is usually developmental and after a few days of being crabby and quick to cry she cracks a new skill. She has a little wendy house up in the front room at the moment and loves taking her dolls and babies in there and pretends to read books to them and feeds them. She is a very gentle little girl and normally cuddles her toys very sweetly and gets upset if she can't find one of them, she needs to know where they are. This morning she has thrown all her babies and toys outside of the wendyhouse and is sat in the house alone pouting... I know it is going to be one of 'those' days lol.

It looks like we might actually be getting a bit of sunshine again today so it will be a washing day/make Sunday lunch lazy day here. Have a lovely Sunday folks... x x

Day 15

B/fast: The last of my homemade chicken & veg soup
Lunch: Gammon, red cabbage, carrots, one roast potato :D
Tea: Bacon, egg, grilled toms and mushrooms
Snks: 25gms pecan nuts, raspberries

Exercise: 30 minute dance with L/O (it cheers her up) crunches, squats, dumbells x 35 - 100 kegs :rolleyes:

Nothing to really report today. Stuck to menu again yesterday - no hunger and no carb cravings (wow! I can't believe it - CA appears to have gone in to semi-retirement.)
My waistbands are feeling looser and my thighs are looking a little more toned... so everything is heading in the right direction. 13 weeks to lose 2 stone 6lbs (34 lbs) ... can I do it?

Its very cold and damp here today... perfect for cleaning the house (urgh!) :) Have a great Monday everyone. x x

Day 16

B/fast: Gammon and poached eggs
Lunch: Mattessons smoked sausage (95% pork - 0% carbs) stir-fry (bean sprouts, peppers, cabbage, carrot) - (ended up having no lunch)
Tea: Baked mackeral, small baked potato, large salad (lettuce, beetroot, cherry toms) - (ended up having two bowls of cereal instead :( )
Snks: 1/2 apple and tbs peanut butter (Wholeearth's is sugar free), forest fruits

Exercise: 45 minute walk - crunches, squats, dumbells x 35 - 100 kegs :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have had a bit of a tottering day... And much to my annoyance and stupidity I just ate two big bowls of Cheerios with almond milk. I will have to dig so deep today as Carb Addict has come back out to play and is saying 'you could have some crisps.... You may as well. Start back on track tomorrow.' I really want to learn from this and not go and continue and binge eat. Bed early for me I think and damage limitation tomorrow. :(

just try to look at it, as in the grand scheme of things, two bowls of cheerios in over 2 weeks is still really bloody good going! going by the 80:20 rule i reason your still way ahead xx

Thank you...I know youre talking sense.
I am currently making some veg soup for tomorrows breakfast and lunch and then chicken and veg for tea. I am so determined to get back on track... But Cheerios though!!! More sugar than cereal ... Arghhhh!

I find that Glutamine tablets help beat the carb monster ;)

Also I find that when I'm 10/7 days away from TOTM I crave carbs more desperately than ever! So now I just add a few potatoes, dried fruit, dark. Choc 70/85% - gluten free things to get me through. Once I get TOTM the craving almost disappear over night - I still have the dark choc but remove the potatoes and extra gluten free stuff - till next month lol I still lost weight, a more bit slowly mind you ;) but I can live with things this way - desperately craving carbs leads to binge eating for me!!

following primal blueprint and experimenting with the 5:2 fasting diet

Thank you Mis-behave - you show great control to be able to eat just a little bit of 85% chocolate. I know if I had a bar in the house I would eat the full lot - I just can't do a small portions. I guess that's why I had two bowls of cereal last night instead of one. I shall certainly look up glutamine tablets. :)

I got on the scales today and thankfully - no damage - I am still 13'13. I did stop my binge before I really got going so I am pleased about that, I have never managed that before. I also started preparing for a clean and green day today by making soup and planning today's menu & exercise last night.

Yesterday I missed lunch due to unforseen circumstances, by the time I got home at 4pm I was hungry and annoyed (with O/H I shall not go in to details) and instead of putting my mackeral in the oven to bake, CA told me I needed food and comfort there and then... so I dived straight onto the cereal. CA even reasoned that I was being quite good as I had it with almond milk rather than normal milk. :rolleyes:
I decided to come straight on here and name and shame CA lol... and myself for being so unprepared and self-defeating. HOWEVER I have learnt... always have some low-carb snack food handy for times I may miss meals AND most importantly that I can stop mid-binge. I don't have to totally lose the plot. So I shall forget yesterday and start focusing on a good day today.

I am at the doctors this morning and then my mother is coming around for a girly goss so that should take care of the morning and this afternoon I have some coursework to crack on with so I shall keep my mind and my hands well and truly occupied today and by tomorrow I shall hopefully be craving free and back in the swing of low-carb living.

Have a great day folks. x

Last edited:
Day 17

B/fast: H/M ham and veggie soup
Lunch: H/M ham and veggie soup
Tea: Chicken, cauli, broccoli, green beans
Snks: 12 almonds

Exercise: 60 minute walk - crunches, squats, dumbells x 35 - 100 kegs :rolleyes:

I have managed a lean green day today so hopefully by tomorrow I am back on the road to weight loss. Feeling okay and back in the zone, so I am very pleased. Bath and bed early for me this evening... I am pooped and I believe that is certainly from yesterdays cereal exploits. Have a nice evening ladies. X x

Back