Grain Free Weight Loss - 4 stone in 5 months - :)

All good!!

following primal blueprint and experimenting with the 5:2 fasting diet

My hiatus hernia is playing up at the moment... Gained with my last pregnancy and always likes to give me tons of acid and pain in the osophagus. I hope by losing weight I can get rid of it. It is making me miserable at the moment... Gaviscon and Zantac are no longer cutting it; time to go back to the doctors.

They will probably stick me on PPI tablets which are protein pump inhibitors... Stopping the stomach from making acid... The same acid that is needed to digest meat! Wont that be fun being on a low carb diet.

Hello there Lou :)

Lol@Cheeriogate . Yes, I surprised myself even... I am such a carb binger normally and don't know when to stop.

Is your tummy less bloated today? Mine takes around 24 hrs to settle after some carbs.
Is your 12 YO overweight or do you want to feed her less carbs from the long term health aspect? Either way I think it's a great idea.

Well we are returning home shortly after a lovely weekend... I did so much walking yesterday that I had a quick jump on the scales after my morning wee today and I have lost another pound. Very pleased!!! Just need to lose three now for Saturday's WI ... 13st 7 here I come.

Have a lovely day peeps. x

I woke up with a MASSIVE headache yesterday, I call it my 'day 2' headache as it always comes on day 2 of vlcd usually - so this must have been me withdrawing from the sugar/carbs that I had on Friday. Tummy not so bad but head - *cry* - over it again now though, phew! Won't do that again in a hurry!

My 12yo is quite overweight (a boy) weighed him yesterday he is 11'2.4'' and about 5'1'' he has always been chubby and although we went to the MEND programme (government weight loss programme thing, 12 weeks of food education for parents and exercise for kids) nothing really changed - all the other mums found the same too (all the kids still overweight) - and guess what? We were all advised to feed them high carb/low fat! All the recipes are full of flour - even a recipe for fake sausage made from BREADCRUMBS! WTF! They'd be better off eating an actual sausage!! He isn't that noticeabley overweight at school but that's because loads of the other kids are fat too!! (not like when I was at school and I was one of the only fatties)

Your food for yesterday sounds yummers :D and the cellulite thing - it's definitely cutting out the grains - my cellulite disappeared when i did Dukan a couple of years ago (yay!) so hoping to lose it again this time ;)

Boo to the hernia, sounds horrible :(

Good morning Lou :)

Glad you're feeling better and getting into the low-carb zone.

When it comes to losing weight and fighting obesity, I don't understand why the government want to push antiquated advice about grains and low fat onto people especially our children. It's not a natural way of eating and the obesity epidemic started to explode in the 1980's... exactly the same time low-fat diets became the way to lose weight.
I sometimes wonder if it is government's way of getting rid of thousands of people early so it is less pensions to have to pay at a later date... sounds awful I know but when low carbing brings down blood pressure, cholesterol levels, shrinks appetite, gives energy etc Why aren't they looking in to it more?
We don't need to be in ketosis to lose weight or feel that energy from a low-carb diet nor do we need to limit fruit or veg. So I am miffed as to why it is frowned up-on. They would rather we fill our kids with cheap, processed, grain based fillers that make them crave more food; that gives them intestional problems and makes them lethargic than give them fresh meat and free range eggs Makes me mad. :mad:

I feel your pain about your son. My son (who is now 22) was plump at the age of 12... he even had little fat boobs coming bless him. Gym at school became a nightmare as some kids were calling him fattie and wobble etc. As he turned 14 he started going out with his friends more, cycled to and from school and went on his PS2 less (or whatever it was back then.) I stopped buying sweets and crisps in the house and he ended up having to have rice cakes with honey on or dried fruit as a snack. He quickly grew tired of those horrible ricecakes and would have fresh fruit smoothies as a snack instead. The weight started to drop off and within 8 months he was as slim as the other 'average' kids.
He now goes to the gym has huge muscles and is uber-fit... he eats a lot of protein, hates bread and won't touch sweet stuff through personal choice. He loves chips and crisps though.
My point is... being over-weight as a kid doesn't mean a life time of obesity or feeling bad about themselves. I think you are really doing the right thing taking some carbs out of his diet... as his appetite is no longer so ravenous and his natural energy levels go up his desire to move about will take over and the weight will soon come off. Good luck. x x

Last edited:
Day 23

B/fast: Ham and mushroom omlette, with peppers
Lunch: Homemade veg soup, slices of apple with peanut butter
Tea: Two lamb chops, homemade mint sauce, green beans, spinach, baby carrots
Snks: Dried pineapple and nuts

2litres of water & 4 cups of herbal tea

Exercise: 60 mins walk, squats, dumbells x 40 - 100 kegs :rolleyes: (no crunches today... I am giving hernia a rest lol)

I got weighed again this morning; I know I am getting addicted to these daily weigh-ins... and I have lost another pound. Really pleased... the snack free day appears to have paid off. Just need rid of two more pounds by Saturday. Head down... eyes on the prize.

With your hernia - are you able to try aleo Vera juice - cranberry flavor is nicer - it's meant to sooth the digestive track etc has loads of Heath benefits etc google it :)

I've been using it for ages as it helps when feeling bloated - or I just like the taste now ;) I do notice when I run out for a few days my digestive system slows down ;)

following primal blueprint and experimenting with the 5:2 fasting diet

I normally have aloe vera (I actually like the taste) but have stopped since breastfeeding as it is meant to be quite an effective laxative to babies through the milk and it is advised not to take it. However I shall be back on the aloe vera in the next cple of weeks as I am stopping breastfeeding. I just want to get her through her last injection on Thursday (I delayed the MMR.)
I do take DGL and slippery elm though and they do soothe the burning in my throat a bit... I am hoping the weight loss will be the biggy though in getting rid of this blasted hernia.
Thanks for your input as always Mis-Behave... I like your alternative/natural approach to things. X

My son has moobs bless him and this morning his school uniform is feeling tight but he's also having a general growth spurt upwards.

couldn't get any breakfast into him i'm suspecting he was eating the Easter egg that's in his room but once that is gone i'm not buying anything like that for them

I feel your rage about the 'advice' given about nutrition it's just not good enough, me and the others mums were diligently following what we were told with no results. It was two hours a week for twelve Weeks what a waste of time!! Only benefit was meeting other mums in the same boat and hearing them having same struggles, made me feel less useless!!! But cutting out grains and sugar for him I think will work...depending on what he sneaks when i'm not looking! But he doesn't take money to school or anything and he wants to do it (at the moment)

I hope you are all fine and dandy today. :)

As expected my doctor prescribed a PPI so unless my hernia behaves itself in the next cple of weeks I will be started them come May. THis makes me slightly concerned due to the long term side effects that have been reported on PPIs including (weight gain :eek: ) so I really want to only take them as a last resort. Hopefully another half a stone or so loss will bring great improvements to my hernia.

Anyway on a more positive note I am planning on slow baking some fruit and veg today to add a new twist to meals times. I have apple, mango, banana, tomatos, peppers, beetroot and parsnips. You bake them on a very low heat for five hours and should be left with a dried version of the fruit that is packed with flavour. I know the carb content goes up a notch but they are not grains and that is the main thing for my diet.

I managed to avoid the scales this morning as I would rather have a nice surprise (or not) on Saturday that I have lost the 4 lbs required rather than feeling fed up mid-week that the scales aren't going fast enough.

Another snack free day today, I am not finding it a problem as I am just not that hungry thanks to the low-carbing. Hopefully that will give me the edge in getting a 4lb loss this week and to that magical 'one stone loss.'

Time for brekkie... have a lovely day ladies.

Love Samantha x x

Last edited:
Day 24

B/fast: Fresh fruit and mixed nuts
Lunch: Chicken salad
Tea: Baked ling (fish), homemade ratatouille (BBC recipe minus the sugar and use a tbsp of apple juice instead) Ratatouille recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food
Snks: -

2litres of water & 4 cups of herbal tea

Exercise: 30 mins walk, 60 min soft play with little one, squats, dumbells x 40 - 100 kegs :rolleyes: (no crunches today... I am giving hernia a rest again)

So far I have slow baked the parsnips, tomatos and beetroot. All very lush with a little sea salt on... Almost like veggie crisps. They are really tasty. I shall try the fruit tomorrow. Right early night for me... I am taking a cuppa to bed and I shall be watching Cracker on Netflix... Now there is a blast from the past. Sleep well all. X x

Busy day sorting the house today. I have so much energy at the moment... I am sticking to a low carb lifestyle and enjoying it. We went to Morrisons Cafe for lunch and I had ham, egg and peas (gave O/H every chip off my plate) and a cup of decaff coffe... My first in about a week. So I still managed to keep it low carb even in a cafe filled with cream buns and shortcake biscuits. For brekkie I had quinoa and dried mango porridge... It was lovely and for tea chicken cream cheese parcels and mixed baby veg are on the menu. No exercise today as I am back to scrubbing floors and cleaning cupbaords out this afternoon... That,s exercise enough for today I think. X x

Day 26

B.fast: H\M Chick and veg soup, 6brazil nuts
Lunch: Bacon chop and beetroot salad
Tea: lasagne {made with leek sheets}, brocolli, courgette
Snack: pineapple and mango

Exercise: 60 min walk, crunches 30, bicep curls and squats 40

Thank you... Jabs went fine... She didn't even cry.
The leek I blanche in hot water for a cple of minutes... It makes them flexible and lay out flat. Or you can alternate layers of mixed grated carrot and cheese with the meat and sauces that is tasty too. X

Day 27

B.fast: Almond milk & strawberry smoothie
Lunch: Left over lasagne and salad
Tea: Tuna and beetroot salad
Snack: Lots and lots of water

Exercise: 60 min walk, crunches 30, bicep curls and squats 40 , 100 kegs :)

Nearly at the four week mark and I have stuck to my diet plan really well (bar two bowls of Cheerios the other week.) However I am not looking forward to tomorrow's weigh in at all. It is my TOTM and I feel so bloated... my stomach has gone from feeling flat to fat over night. I also had a very salty bacon chop for yesterday's lunch and I don't think that has helped at all.
As my TOTM has hit me I also feel fed up and for the first time after a few weeks of positivity I am thinking... "What's the point? This is so slow going... Do I want to spend a life time without icecream and chocolate and beans on proper toast? I am so miserable not eating these foods."
This morning after 24 hours of feeling generally fed up I have realised because it's TOTM and I am feeling a little stressed due to small hiccups at home that Carb Addict has come out fighting. She is justifying everything, belittling any weight loss success I have had and making over-eating seem the answer to everything.
Over-eating carbs was my coping strategy for everything; being unhappy, angry, tired, stressed, upset, fed up, bored etc. Over-eating numbs my uncomfortable feelings.

Now I must address these uncomfortable feelings in a different way but what different way? Today, I am devoid of any answers.

Back