Gym Membership on Prescription

JustBecky

Anybody know how this works/ how widely available it is? I joined slimming world a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to fit in loads of exercise to boost my weight losses and I'm particularly enjoying swimming although it is getting really expensive now and as a student am struggling to attend even a couple of times a week financially.

If people could give advice/share experiences then that would be very helpful and amazing and I would love you forever :p

Hope everybody's well!

Anybody know how this works/ how widely available it is? I joined slimming world a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to fit in loads of exercise to boost my weight losses and I'm particularly enjoying swimming although it is getting really expensive now and as a student am struggling to attend even a couple of times a week financially.

If people could give advice/share experiences then that would be very helpful and amazing and I would love you forever :p

Hope everybody's well!

Can you get the gym for free because your over weight?
Paid for by the NHS?

You don't need to swim to lose weight there are miles and miles of roads, common land etc that you can cycle and walk/jog around.
If you can't afford the gym then don't go. Don't expect some body else to pay for it.

No need to be sh*tty with me. It was simply a question. Yes, there are miles and miles of roads etc where I could exercise but as a person with very low self confidence, due to being mugged and beaten up in the street before, if a prescription is available, which my friend seems to think there is then I would be more than willing to accept it.

In the long run things like slimming world prescriptions, gym subscriptions and support with stopping smoking will save the NHS an awful lot of money when they are not having to treat people for associated medical conditions in 30 years time.

No need to be sh*tty with me. It was simply a question. Yes, there are miles and miles of roads etc where I could exercise but as a person with very low self confidence, due to being mugged and beaten up in the street before, if a prescription is available, which my friend seems to think there is then I would be more than willing to accept it.

In the long run things like slimming world prescriptions, gym subscriptions and support with stopping smoking will save the NHS an awful lot of money when they are not having to treat people for associated medical conditions in 30 years time.

I'm not being sh*tty.
Simply stating a fact.

Of course you would much rather take the prescription than DIY.
The way i'm looking at it, is this: You've put the weight on, why should tax payers pay for it to come off?

It's not your fault that this is available - it angers me that the NHS offer this. I can see your logic in it saving money in the long run, but in my (small) world, the NHS shouldn't make it so widely available.

I can understand the camaraderie with SW/WW/gym etc encourages people to lose their weight. In black & white though, you don't need any of it to lose weight.

I personally have been subject to some not-so-nice encounters in the street that have not ended well, but you can be damn sure it didn't ever stop me walking out my front door.

Taxpayers pay for a lot of things that you probably don't agree with... Yes, it probably is mainly my fault that I am big, however you know nothing about my life so I find it incredibly judgemental and think you are being quite rude tbh. I spent the first half of my childhood in a wheelchair and was unable to exercise due to having septic arthritis in my hips (which is when I initially got big) and as I don't want this condition to effect me again in later life low impact exercise (such as swimming) would be better. I also have a diagnosis of PCOS, which again makes weightloss harder and severely effects my confidence. Saying this, you will be pleased to know that I am not planning to have my own biological children so taxpayers money won't be going on any IVF for me.

You make it sound like I am some money scrounging scumbag, I am actually at uni training to be a mental health nurse. When I am qualified I will be paying taxes as well as being financially comfortable enough to pay for gyms and the like.

I am trying to better myself and people such as yourself constantly putting a person down without knowing the facts makes you appear ignorant.

As a taxpayer I am more than happy for you to receive access to a pool. I'm sorry to see the row above, it seems sad on a forum designed to support people through weight loss. I have no specific knowledge on the topic, although I was aware that G.Ps could help out in this area. Swimming sounds like the perfect exercise for you and I wish you the best of luck. Sorry I can't be of any help.

Thank you for your message of support Grumpy Whino (I feel a little nasty calling you that but if you insist :p)... I am really glad you replied as I was getting close to cancelling the doctors appointment I had made to discuss this and I was feeling quite upset about some comments. Take care x

As a tax payer I would be more than happy for you to get a prescription for your gym and a personality transplant for honey-bees on the NHS :)

I really don't need your sob story about why you are overweight, we all have one. You came close to cancelling the appointment because of my comments? If you read my second comment " It's not your fault that this is available - it angers me that the NHS offer this. " The way you have worded it makes it sound like the GP will provide you with a gym membership. To me a gym membership is a luxury and not necessary. I don't see where the issue with that is. I, and many, many other people have lost weight without the gym, I don't see why it is deemed as necessary. Does the GP provide a membership or is it some thing different? I don't know why you are bringing IVF into all of this, I also have PCOS but I'm not going to dwell on it.

Not knowing what you have available in your area I can't comment whether there are any free gym/swimming schemes available to you, but I do know that the NHS offer these types of things as I've seen posters in my GP and I think people are given access to facilities if they attend a weight loss group, probably only for a limited time though?
I just wanted to add my 2p worth and say that if you don't get access to something from the GP then how about a low impact exercise DVD to do at home everyday? You can get them very cheap on ebay and have access to exercise everyday of the week in the comfort of your own home (no need to worry about others staring, the weather etc). I lost 3st with home DVDs and WW from home (just a point calc and minimins) and kept it off for 3 years without ever been to a gym in my life.
Just an idea as a mum of 3 young kids and student midwife it can be hard when you have limited money, time and restricted access to going outdoors. :)

Just to add I found this page from the NHS website and it's fantastic for ideas of ways to get fit fro free:
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/free-fitness.aspx

Last edited:
Honey - bees I have no idea what the NHS may offer which is why I posted this thread in the first place. I was simply informed by a friend that something may be available from the NHS and I simply posted to see if anybody else had any experience of this. I don't really wish to discuss this matter further with you as I find your answers unhelpful and judgemental.

little*red - Thank you, thank you, thank you for your ideas and well done on your fantastic weightloss. I was just wondering if you were able to recommend any DVD's that you found particularly useful? I hadn't thought of looking for weightloss DVD's that are specifically low impact :D

I don't know if they offer a gym "membership" in the nhs it could be helpful to ask your gp about a healthy scheme, after my boyfriend has his heart surgery he was referred to a healthy hearts club at our local leisure centre which was a low impact cardio class to improve him back to full health which is funded by the nhs

I'd rather NHS pay for your time at the gym than paying for these s**** who get boob jobs etc that angers me

CheekyChaz, that sounds really good, thank you for that! Hope your boyfriend is now back to full fitness :D

Kenshin112, I completely agree! Some of the things people have done on the NHS are ridiculous, although I know some people think that getting any kind of fitness facility paid for by the NHS is ridiculous!

He is very much back to full health luckily, I have found via our local councils facebook page they offer over 20 different free fitness classes over the county and also have opened the gyms in the local high schools after 5pm for £1 a session. You could have a look for things like that going on in your area.

well done on you weight loss so far nearly at 1st :)

I was just wondering if you were able to recommend any DVD's that you found particularly useful? I hadn't thought of looking for weightloss DVD's that are specifically low impact :D

Most of the ones i did were quite intense cardio based loads of jumping around for example tae bo, but I've done the slim in 6 series by beachbody which is quite expensive but could probably grab a bargin on ebay. Also I know that the Rosemary Connelly ones are pretty low impact too if you looking for an aerobics type workout. I've not tried it but the leslie sansone walk off the pounds is supposed to be good and there is a group on this forum who are currently doing it so they can offer support too. Hope that helps a wee bit, if I see any more suggestions for good low impact workouts I'll let you know :)

I asked for help with exercise and if there were gym memberships and they said they'd prefer to put me forward for gastric band:confused:

That's terrible they would rather put you through possible life threatening surgery instead of referring you to a group :-(

Back