Gym Membership on Prescription

Hi

what a controversial conversation going on here! Anyway congrats on your weight loss so far. Have u looked on your local council page. We have a system in swandea called pasport to leisure. As i get certain benefits i pay half price membership. I pay 15 per month and get full use of gym swim and classes.

I have heard of nhs help but there are certain conditions to it like anyother scheme offered i suppose.

Have you tried yogalates its a good dvd and low impact too.

Sarah xx

CheekyChaz, I am so pleased to hear that he is well again, that must have been an incredibly unsettling time for you both. I have done loads of searches on google (hadn't thought to check facebook, silly me!) and haven't found any of the schemes you have mentioned but my GP may be able to point me in the right direction, even if they can't offer me anything on prescription :) A lot of places offer a free trial or first session free scheme so I am trying to make use of some of those but obviously they won't last forever! Also, got the added difficulty that I don't drive so I need it to be fairly local so as not to spend an absolute fortune on buses! Thank you so much for your advice/support!

little*red, some of those workout DVD ideas sound really good! Ebay is normally a winner for things like that, or amazon marketplace! I remember my mum doing Rosemary Connelly ones when I was little, although unfortunately all of hers were on VHS... I remember her doing a Mr Motivater one as well which I used to find incredibly funny :) The only thing I was thinking with the Walk Off the Pounds one was that I already do quite a bit of walking already in day to day life (at least 45 minutes a day minimum) so I was trying to find something a bit different. A lot of them are really really cheap on Amazon so I can always order a few and then even if I only do them once most of them are cheaper than a session at the swimming pool :p plus there is bound to be a couple of good ones amongst them. One of the girls that I am living with next year has informed me that she has a wii so may be able to pick up some of the dancing games cheap at a local games shop, so although not as structured it's still getting me off my bum and moving! Thank you for all your help/support!

Emmuk74, I'm so sorry to hear that you had such a negative experience with your GP, that is absolutely terrible! I hope my GP is slightly more supportive when I see them on Monday, if not I will be changing surgeries as I have had a few negative experiences in the past when seeing GP's about my mental health and prescriptions for anti depressants. It can't be that difficult for these individuals to show a little compassion for their patients!

Sarahmun, I know what you mean about it all becoming a bit controversial, it wasn't my intention when I posted it at all :( but I am still glad that I did as I am getting some absolutely brilliant friendly and supportive replies from other people, yourself included so thank you! £15 a month is a bargain! My council gyms do a scheme for students which works out at £21 a month for gym, swimming facilities and classes, although unfortunately I would have to pay for 9 months upfront coming to £189 which just isn't possible at the moment! Although I may have to have a chat with my lovely mummy and see if she could perhaps lend me it and I pay her back each month! Feel very cheeky asking though as she isn't exactly the richest person herself. Yogalates sounds good, is it something you have tried and found beneficial yourself? It sounds as though it would be good for toning up as well?

Hey

Yeah I've got a yogalates dvd and its good. You don't necessarily think that your doin anything but you do indeed feel it the next day. I've got a damaged knee cap and yoga and swimming helps when its bad. I go to an aquasize class once a week with friends to break up the erxercise routine.

I hope you get some good advice from the docs to help you on your journey. Keep us informed how you do.

Sarah xx

Will definitely look into purchasing a DVD then? Is there any one in particular that I should look out for?

I really fancy aquasize but none of my friends are up for it... Are there a lot of larger people that go? I might just have to bite the bullet and go on my own!

If you look on amazon they do good reviews so pick one that suits u best.

Yeah quiet a few larger ladies as they feel less exposed. The first time u go maybe daunting but after that it will be no worries.

Sarah xx

justbecky at ours there is loads of larger ladies that go and trust me my brother said no one is bothered about you there to busy watching the trainer bite the bullet and go i told my bro if i hit the 21s this week i will start going with him xx

Thanks for that Chezz, deffo going to have to bite the bullet and just go for it! If it's awful I don't have to go again!

I wasn't keen on going to the gym as where I live is quite a small town and everyone knows everyone.
And I was worried that I'd see people I went to school with or whatever.
But as my boyfriend very kindly reminded me - we're all there for the same reason - to get/keep fit and that they've got no reason to judge you.
And that's how I see it now.
I'm loving the gym now. Can't keep out of the place.
Go for it.
I was at aquafit last night, and although I'm not a brilliant swimmer, I enjoyed it.
There's no pressure. If you can't do a move, my instructor told us to do something similar that we were comfortable with.
I didn't realise we'd been in there an hour until the instructor started doing cool down stretches with us.

Also, I don't know if this applies everywhere, but she said dress code for our aquafit session is different to a regular swimming session. If we feel uncomfortable being in just our swimming costumes, we're able to wear a vest over our costume or something.
So if you're self conscious, maybe enquire about the ability to wear overclothes =)

Good luck.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it once you get started =D

A few years ago I heard the same thing from a friend, went to the doctor and he gave me a number to phone.

What was offered was a 1hr session twice a week with an employee of the gym, who would put you through a routine/session.

I was joined by 4/5 other individuals also looking to lose weight........

The session's lasted for 8 weeks and were designed to give you a little bit of know how so you could go to the gym by yourself if you wanted with the knowledge of the machines and equipment.

the sessions were priced at £1 each rather than the usual walk in Gym price

After the 8 weeks were up you could go back to the doctor and if he felt you needed to keep going then you would get another 8 week programme.

The only gyms to offer this were all council run gyms.

Your still paying to lose some weight but not at the inlated price's of some gyms and you also have like minded people there to help you along while being coached by a qualified person.

Win/win

Elfy 1807, thank you so much for this. I am going to ring up the leisure centres in my local area that offer aqua fit type activities and see if it is possible for me to wear something over my swimsuit, I think this would help me to feel a million times less self conscious :)

GaryMack, that sounds like a really good initiative!

From my doctors appointment I discovered that Nottingham offers a scheme which I have been referred to. It is called Healthy Changes Nottingham and helps with all aspects of fitness including slimming world referrals for weightloss, cookery classes to learn skills for healthy eating, gym passes for exercise as well as stop smoking help and alcohol support. I just have to wait for the phonecall now!

Elfy 1807, thank you so much for this. I am going to ring up the leisure centres in my local area that offer aqua fit type activities and see if it is possible for me to wear something over my swimsuit, I think this would help me to feel a million times less self conscious :)

GaryMack, that sounds like a really good initiative!

From my doctors appointment I discovered that Nottingham offers a scheme which I have been referred to. It is called Healthy Changes Nottingham and helps with all aspects of fitness including slimming world referrals for weightloss, cookery classes to learn skills for healthy eating, gym passes for exercise as well as stop smoking help and alcohol support. I just have to wait for the phonecall now!

hi becky
that is brilliant i went to one where we live for 10 weeks called reshape and we learnt all about food and calories and food swaps i really enjoyed it and made some good friends ....
well i hit the 21s so it looks like i will be going if we can get in at ours that is i rang them and i get where those bicycle shorts under my costume swimming or aqua so thats made me very happy indeed good luck with whatever you chose xxxxxxx

Chezz, I was just looking at your stats in the side bar and I would just like to say

:happy096:!!!!!

You have done amazingly. You should be so proud of yourself.
To decrease your BMI by 10 points, lose almost 4 stone - 15% of your body weight?!?! Absolutely inspiring!!
Good going!
Keep up the hard work =D

Back