Had a large unexplained gain how to deal with it?

Barbette

Gold Member
Had my WI yesterday and had a 6 lb gain, totally not expected and I can't explain why either. Do I cut back on my syns this week to try and get it all off? Or do I carry on as normal and see if it comes off next week anyway?
Thank you in advance for any replies x

Hi it's not nice when that happens after being so good :( it has happened to be a few times but the most was three pound gain after being really good....my problem was I hadn't pooped in a few days ( sorry that's gross I know )...went home from weigh in and took two mild laxatives...next morning after going toilet I was FIVE yes FIVE pound lighter....! Maybe that could be it..xxx

The ladies above me have explained really well, so i cant really add much (only a newbie) just wanted to reiterate on syn counting, not going to the loo, water rentention maybe.. i really takes a humungous amount of calories to put on that much so i really dont think its 'fat' weight. Hope this helps a little and you have good losses next week! all the best x

Thanks for the replies :)

To answer your questions
1. syns - I was well under my syn last week as I wasn't well and yes I do check syn values.
2. Healthy extras - yes I do measure them
3. 1/3 superfree - I'm a vegan so I generally eat more than a 1/3 superfree as I only eat veg, tofu, soy mince and pulses
4. Did I eat enough - I think so had a couple of days being sick but was ok for the rest of the week

I have a food diary there's a link to it on my signature. I can't take laxatives as I suffer from IBS and that would cause mayhem lol. I have upped my water intake and I'm really conscious of how much I drink. I've had weight gains before but never one this big, I was totally gob smacked when I got on the scales :(

I'm just trying to figure what is the best course of action would be. x x

I had a huge gain this week... was expected as it had been my birthday but still totally gutted :(. planning to stick with it this week... fingers crossed, dnt let yr gain get to you or you could end up going off track. lots of luck for thus week :)

Sometimes drinking loads of water doesn't work for some people.

Are you snacking on free foods every 2 hours or so?
I work nights so I'm asleep during the day and then at night while I'm working I tend to have something to eat early in the shift then have my lunch half way through and then nothing till I get home. But sometimes I'm too busy and only manage to eat part of my dinner.

I had a huge gain this week... was expected as it had been my birthday but still totally gutted :(. planning to stick with it this week... fingers crossed, dnt let yr gain get to you or you could end up going off track. lots of luck for thus week :)
I've no intentions of letting it get to me, I've come to far to throw it all away. And thank you, hope you have a good loss next week :)

Hi Tace

That must have been so frustrating for you!

This happened to me once when I was following a different plan. I had upped my water intake as all the received wisdom is that water helps AND I had upped my exercise. I leapt onto the scales expecting a good loss and was hit with a huge gain. Frankly, I was inconsolable.

Everyone gave me the same advice that the others have posted here and using every ounce of effort I could muster I went back and did another 100% week. The following week I lost loads of weight! (About 6 pounds I think). It was as if my body wasn't sure what to do so clung on to everything.

Crack on, and see what next week brings.

Good luck.

Alisonx

Did you weigh in and eat as usual on that day?

You say you were well under syns could you have been too under syns with being sick too maybe you didn't eat enough and your body wondered what was going on?
Yes, I only ever get weighed at one group. I'm hoping it's because I've been ill.

Hi Tace

That must have been so frustrating for you!

This happened to me once when I was following a different plan. I had upped my water intake as all the received wisdom is that water helps AND I had upped my exercise. I leapt onto the scales expecting a good loss and was hit with a huge gain. Frankly, I was inconsolable.

Everyone gave me the same advice that the others have posted here and using every ounce of effort I could muster I went back and did another 100% week. The following week I lost loads of weight! (About 6 pounds I think). It was as if my body wasn't sure what to do so clung on to everything.

Crack on, and see what next week brings.

Good luck.

Alisonx

Thank you, I think that's what I'm going to do if I cut back on my syns I'll just crave for stuff I shouldn't have and I'll struggle, so going to stick to what I normally do with exception of throwing in a few EE days as I've only ever done Green. x

You say you were sick for a few days. Did you take any medication? I know the weeks I have it has made me gain a bit of weight. x

I've just looked at your diary. & it looks fine, no wonder you can't understand the gain. What's a redwood sandwich?
Thank you for taking the time to look :) Redwood is a vegan slice, the ones I have are sage and onion. They're an easy option for my sandwiches for work.

You say you were sick for a few days. Did you take any medication? I know the weeks I have it has made me gain a bit of weight. x
The only medication I ever take is paracetamol and I don't think that would cause any weight gain x

I think from what you've said, you were ill and you were under syns for the week is probably the answer here.... you're body has just reacted to the changes last week. But to be honest there isn't always an answer, body weight fluctuates all over the place for lots of reasons and is perfectly normal (but extremely frustrating). I would just chalk this one up to experience carry on as normal, don't let it niggle you and you'll probably lose all of that this week for sure. You are doing so well, keep going Tace!! :)

Back