Hair - Help!

Lovely_Laura

Moooooo
As I'm turning 30 next week and losing weight I've booked for a cut and colour with the local college but I don't know what to have done. I've had the same hair forever and though I've lost some weight from my face it's still fat. I also don't have a neck, not sure i'll even have one when I'm thin.:sigh: my hair is really fine and a bit curly and a pain in the bum!

I'll put on a photo of me taken this morning (apologies to your eyes:8855:) please help me decide what to do. I'm hopeless.
j846155029j
46155029.th.jpg
292wwvs.jpg
a%3E

a%3E
view.php
292wwvs.jpg

46155029.jpg

You are a beautiful woman Laura. I am not a hairdresser but I know I love my hair the most when it's got a bit of flick and swish to it!

I say this to you now several months into recovery from what appeared to start life as a Brian May poodle perm but has now settled down into something vaguely resembling wavy hippy chic.

It's hard to get an idea of how your hair would sit in different styles because it's pulled back in the photo, But colourwise I think reds or nice chocolatey brown would suit your colouring. I think you would suit a bit of a fringe, not a heavy superstraight one that makes the person look like they go to Hair by Lego, but a nice feathery fringe with some choppy bits around your face. In fact, a heavily layered bob might be nice.

JMO anyway, don't forget to post a photo after it's done!!

Thank you MadameLaMinx:). Sorry to hear about your perm it's the last thing we need having a bad time at the hairdressers.

You're right about layers, it's so fine that it needs something to give it some body. I've never really done the fringe thing so it would be very different which is what I'm looking for. I've been looking around and found this hair which I love-perhaps not the colour for me but I do love it.

28a5hsx.jpg

Do you think something like that would suit? Having no neck makes it tricky but I love the choppiness of it.

Oh I hate making decisions!

No no no, step away from that style!

as others have said, you are a bootiful lady and should make the most of your features. If you want a change, and to make your face thinner i seriously suggest going short. by doing this you can create volume on top, with the short layers and some product making it easy for you to blow dry the curl out.. and if not invest in some really small straightners, with the very small plates. Have your hair cut into the neck short, so that you only have to bother with the top, and have a beautiful sweeping fringe, leaving it longer by the ears.. and if its a reddy tone you like, i suggest a loreal ( i doubt they use this at the college, more like wella or indola) but a 5.25 would be nice a deep browny red,..or a colour like this.. in this style as described above but shorter at the back.

2523879169_68623dc938.jpg

the cut and height will enlongate your face, and from the one picture my comp will show me, you seem to have a nice skin tone that will compliment the right red tone.

red easily fades, however is also the strongest colour pigment to remove, so think it through carefully. It'l need recolouring deffinatly atleast once a month, but you may find it difficult to go lighter should you chose to in the future.

I think this would suit you lovley. In my experiance.

and if you hate it, it took me 9 months to grow my shaved bob out and is currently a bit longer than shoulder length, and thats with my hair in bad condition due to over styling, so it wouldnt take you super long.

xxxxxx

Thank you MadameLaMinx:). Sorry to hear about your perm it's the last thing we need having a bad time at the hairdressers.

You're right about layers, it's so fine that it needs something to give it some body. I've never really done the fringe thing so it would be very different which is what I'm looking for. I've been looking around and found this hair which I love-perhaps not the colour for me but I do love it.

28a5hsx.jpg

Do you think something like that would suit? Having no neck makes it tricky but I love the choppiness of it.

Oh I hate making decisions!

I love the style Fern has suggested but I dont know if you might find that quite a shock to your system to go so short!

I would love a feminine short style, but I have found I rarely suit short styles myself.

And dont worry, I dont hate my hair, its fine now, but it takes a lot of effort to look good, which is a pain.

I think although hairdressers claim short to be hassle free this is not always the case.. the length and thickness of the hair (like mine) made my hair So much hassle, esp when i had it in a thick and choppy bob.. as the 'layers' were long and as my hair is very fine, but with lots of and a greaseball after one day, without being able to tie it back i was fed up of doing it every day, even as a hairdresser myself.

which is why i suggest if your gunna go short, just do it.. lol having it chopped right into the neck means you only have your fringe and top layers to worry about, and it neednt take much effort at all to get some fab height on the top.

i LOVE my hair short, however OH loves my hair long... ah the things we do.

Plus working with kids.. best to tie me hair back if i want my head in tact by end of day.

Alot of woman think short can mean unfeminine.. anyone can make it looks effortlessly glam.. just gotta feel it too.

xxxx

oh dear god please just make sure you see a level 3 student! lol

Thanks Fern:D I loooove that style and colour. I've never had my hair that short I always thought it would make my face fatter but it's very beautiful and I don't know anything.:8855:

I'm not exactly sure who I'm seeing but the woman made it sound like there aren't many around so she was doing some. I'm going for a skin test next Monday so i'll check. Level 3 got it!

I definitely need the lift and with my hair pretty long at the moment it's just dragging it down. I don't mind spending some time on it each day after swimming and I'll wear a hat to drop the kids off at school. :giggle: If I could get it that lovely then it would be fab. I will go in armed with that picture and see what they say. My hair grows very slowly so I need it half decent. If they don't seem confident I'll scarper!

Thanks so much for such a detailed description and taking the time to find a pic. I'm so excited!

I've just had mine done at the local college - had a similar colour to my own put in but very fine sunkissed-looking highlights. And an inverted bob shape. I'm really pleased with the result as I think it's knocked years off me (I'm an oldster - 44).

Word of warning, whatever you decide you can be there for hours as they're training at college. It took three hours for my colour & cut & blowdry.

Thanks Mummoth, I booked 9:30 so I have all day luckily.

Glad you like your new style and that it turned out well. I'm sure you feel much better for it. It's funny how a change makes us feel so much better.

BARGH! I am half tempted to go and get all my hair cut off now!

I darent though, the amount I paid for this perm, husband would have a fit! Although, he doesnt actually KNOW how much I paid for this perm...hmm... NO, I dont suit short hair! STOP MAKING ME THINK ABOUT IT!!! :8855:

if you google hairstyles there are some sites where you can download your photo and try on styles so you can see if they will suit you and if you like them.It might help you to visualise what you do like .

See if you can get highlights...5 or 6 shades lighter than your hair color and that would look nice. I'm also after a haircut, but still undecided on what to do :(

Hey laura!!!

Well i am a hairdresser lol been one for last 14 yrs!!!

i would go lighter for the colour definitly but as you have a lot of warm tones in your hair the colour will still be very warm.

i wouldnt go to short i think personally and prefessionaly it will emphasis a larger face(not meaning to come across nasty laura hun lol)as i too have a large chubby face.

i would cut it so the lenght sits on your colar bone when dry and cut some choppy layers and a side fringe that with a few highlights will look amazing on u hun.
how long is your hair at the mo hun?
and wot are you like at blowdrying and styling your hair?

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. The colour in my hair at the moment isn't natural I have very ordinary nasty browny coloured hair so never keep it natural.

I love the cut Fern put on but think it might be too much of a change straight away, I'm a bit of a chicken! Definitely something I'd like in the future though when I have a jaw line and cheek bones.:D My husband loves it but I think it was the girl. :giggle:

Thanks for your ideas Tanny. I have to admit I was thinking along similar lines, my face is alot thinner than it was but still fat. No offense taken by the way! I'm ok with drying and styling, I don't bother at the moment but I have the time if it needs it. My hair's about down to my boobs so fairly long.

Whatever I decide it'll be a shock at first but nothing can be worse than what it looks like now.:8855:

Thanks for the link Louisedan I'll have a play.:)

I'll be sure to put a pic up. Highlights sound good I've always loved having them in the past so might go for it again.

Having seen you last month Hun, that photo does you no favours! :p. I think if you've had long hair forever, you may feel more comfortable with a halfway length to start off with. A layered bob, say. But hey! The style Fern chose is great! I do think that you should go lighter tho. It'll suit your bubbly personality.

Back