Hair loss, hair thinning etc ??

I'M NEW

God I'm not looking forward to this diet now - as my hair is really fine as it is!
HELP

xx:cry:

Hi all..

I went to Lush today and got some of the soap/shampoo/bar thingy.. lol

extremely helpful in the shop, tried it... too soon to let you know but will keep you posted,

x

Oh, my spray came today from my aromatherpist too, you spray it on and massage it in, leave it overnight.... It smells DIVINE! and has no nasties in it at all... nothing but esential oils and rosemary water. Lovely :) Fingers crossed!

I have (and am now) experienced hair loss. The first time I did CD I lost hair but it grew back when I stopped the diet. Panic not!!

Yep i too am loosing hair at a dramatic rate. I am luckt to have thick hair but when i lift it i can see my scalp.It still looks healthy and no bald patches so not too worried need to shift another 2 stone so hope it slows down.

I stopped lipotrim in the 3rd week because I was terrified of hairloss, my hair is really long and Ive been growing it for four years, I love my hair, anyway, put back the whole stone and half that I lost and some, started cambridge again a month ago and lost a stone but have now stopped the diet, not because of the hairloss although that was in the back of my mind, but I wanted to try the whole gym and healthy eating, I'll keep canbridge as a last resort but Ive never tried the gym and sensible eating yet so i thought Id give it a whirl, anyway had my first gym lesson today and wow did I feel good afterwards, I loved it, Im gonna go four days a week for an hour and see how I do.

The hairloss Im told is due to the fact that on SS you only have enough calories to keep you vital organs going, any other calories needed for other things such as hair growth and nail growth etc stops because its none essential.

I think thats it in a nutshell.:cry:

Please let me know how your spray goes Elle. I ordered some products from Tracey and they arrived today - they smell brilliant!

She sent some massage oil as a tester for my flagging libido, and I can't wait to use it (or rather, for my partner to give me a massage) - it smells divine!

Last edited:
The science bit...

It's pretty common to lose hair when dieting. Here's why...

Each hair on your head grows for 4-5 years, then falls out. So your hair is always renewing itself. The long growth stage is called anagen and the short stopping phase that follows is called catagen. Then the hair falls out, which is telogen. The hair follicle then goes back into anagen and makes a long hair for the next 4-5 yaers.

What happens during weight loss is Telogen effluvium. It also happens after any stress to the body. Some of your hair follicles go into catagen to conserve body resources. So the hairs stop growing and "rest". Once your body feels safe again, those hairs go back into anagen - but because there was the pause in the middle, the brand new growing hair pushes the old hair out of the follicle. So in reality you have just as much hair as you did before - and it's probably far healthier hair. But the new hairs are short :)

Normally around 10% of your head of hair is in the catagen or telogen phase, in essence resetting itself to prepare for new hair to grow in. Because you have so much hair on your head, you don't even notice. During weight loss that percentage gets higher, but this is only temporary. Your body starts creating new hair in its normal cycle once it settles into a healthy weight and those hairs start growing again. Remember that hair doesn't reach a long state overnight! So all those new, healthy hairs need time to grow out to whatever length of hair you have chosen.

Usually it takes 6 months for your head of hair to have grown back out to typical fullness. Hair grows around 1/2" per month, so at the 6 month mark, the hair is around 3" long which is enough to seem thick on most heads. Again, it's not that the hair is MISSING during this intermediate time. It's just that it is brand new and growing from scratch.

Copied from here Weight Loss, Hair Loss and Low Carb - Low Carb if you want to read the whole article!

Please let me know how your spray goes Elle. I ordered some products from Tracey and they arrived today - they smell brilliant!

She sent some massage oil as a tester for my flagging libido, and I can't wait to use it (or rather, for my partner to give me a massage) - it smells divine!

Hi Amber - yay another fan of Traceys products!!!

I've been using the hair repair spray every night (that smells amazing too :D) and though I know its not going to work overnight I am sure its helping!

hello

I've just been to my GP for the same reason! He knows I'm on CD and I haven't had a problem with hair shedding until the past couple of weeks - I am less than a stone away from target. He has recommended me to take an iron and folic acid supplement because hair loss and hair thinning is a sign that your body needs these. Has anyone else tried this?

Back