Half marathon training

It is so cold tonight! Anyone dared to go for a run?? I wimped out and jumped on the treadmill :)

Yup, I went for a run. LOVED it! It was chilly but sunny, the only thing that could've made the run better was rain! :giggle:

Do you guys have any gyms around you that are only £9.99 a month?
Here in plymouth we have a 24hour gym that is only that price a month or maybe £14.99 but defo no more than that. Have a scout around see what you find. It's tempting to join a gym but i'm only going to do it if the weather gets real bad and icy like last year!

xx

How brave are you Summer!! We have had gales up here (Lincolnshire). Well maybe slight exaggeration, lots of strong wind anyhow, but so cold!! I am bit of a wuss though, lol :)

Ooooh, now strong wind that is a b*tch!!! LOL xx

I'm due a run this,afternoon once I've done my half day homeworking. I'll have porridge for breakfast and then bananas during the morning. I was planning on a long one today, we'll see.

Trouble is, as a single Mum, I can't get out whenever I wish so I have very specific windows of opportunity. Running too far these days for him to join me too. (He's only just 9 after all.)

Hey girls, yesterday I did my longest run to date -14km. I went slowly and it took me 1 hour and 40 minutes. I was on a treadmill at the gym so it was a good chance to catch up on some telly as I ran.
Next time my long run is going to be 15km....wish me luck!
I found the long run fine yesterday - well, the first hour was the hardest lol

thanks!
14 km is 8.6 miles, coach.
Last week I did 13km, Pinkie, which took about 1 hour and 30 minutes. I would like to keep edging up, each week inreasing by 1km, as far as 20km.... although my brother wants to run with me this weekend and I think he wants to focus on hills....yuck! If I do hills, I'm not doing distance!

That's fantastic!!!! Great acheivement!

I have planned to be at 7.5 miles by the end of November.

Thanks everyone and TBH I am glad you approve, Pinkie, because I know a lot of training plans would be getting me to run less or mix it up more. I run for 1 hour twice a week and a longer run at the weekend - as I say, increasing by 1 km each time, which I intend to do right up to 20km.

I have thought about (when worried about over-training) reducing the length of my mid week runs, from 1 hour to 45 minutes maybe. And perhaps I will do this if it starts to feel like too much. But somehow, 1 hour runs feel right for me and I am keen to burn fat and to lose weight.

I don't have an event/fixture/race to aim for. I really would like to and keep looking on the Internet but near me there doesn't seem to be anything other than 5ks / junior races coming up, which is shame. But I guess it's the season. I'll keep looking and maybe I'll find a 10k soon and then a half marathon sometime next Spring.

Whereabouts are you?
I am mixing it up a bit personally. Hopefully will do 40 mins shortly before I collect the bairn from school. Will do just over an hour tomorrow (in fact I've set a 11km target now), maybe another hour on Thurs, if not maybe half hour. I just kind of fit them in where I can. The bairn is at home all this weekend so I'm unlikely to get the chance then.

I think you just have to do whatever suits you and your lifestyle.

Shazzabir that sounds like a sensible target, we're heading for the same date aren't we?

I'm in Northern Ireland, Pinkie, and not even near Belfast either. Not lots of races round my neck of the woods but I'll keep plodding away regardless ;)

Hi everyone, how we all doing? I did 15km today on a treadmill. it took 1 hour 45 minutes and all in all was easier than last week's 14km. I think there are just good days and bad days. I didn't feel too tired or out of breath, I took it slow and steady. Needing the loo is still a distraction but I managed to wait. I can't explain why it was easier today - I think the king prawn korma and two glasses of wine last night must have helped so maybe I should have a takeaway more often (not!)
But whilst I felt good, I certainly don't look good after running this length. There was no fan and in that respect I prefer being outdoors in the fresh air. But it's getting harder to get out for long runs whilst avoiding crazy dogs, mud, too many hills, too much rain, too much traffic etc.
Have a good weekend, everyone x

HA HA HA, yeah, thank God I had the foresight to bring baby wipes to get rid of the raccoon look where earlier eye make up sweats off in massive black circles

Fantastic Biggysmalls, your making great progress!!

I went to a running shop this w/e, to get some proper running shoes and to go on the treadmill for gait analysis. Turns out I over pronate when running, hence the pain in my knee. Hopefully with shoe cushions and new trainers my pain is a thing of the past!!
Will not be running just yet as I have a migraine......... Gggrrrrr, always something!!!!!!

Back