Half marathon training

Ouch to the car repair cost, I hope it's not too bad and you can enter Silverstone.

Summergurl, sorry if I've missed it but can't you do Silverstone?

coachnomad said:
Ouch to the car repair cost, I hope it's not too bad and you can enter Silverstone.

Summergurl, sorry if I've missed it but can't you do Silverstone?

No :( the cost of travelling there & an overnight stay is just too much! Maybe 2013 I'll be there ;) xx

Brilliant news welshtiger! :) xx

Brilliant Welshtigger, it will really motivate you now :)

They have finally released the date for next years Plymouth 1/2 ... 3rd June :) entries open on the 6th November, the day I run the 10k.

Guess how I'll be celebrating that?! ... By entering the half ;) lol

Xx

summergurl said:
They have finally released the date for next years Plymouth 1/2 ... 3rd June :) entries open on the 6th November, the day I run the 10k.

Xx

Good stuff! That's late this year isn't it? I thought it was normally in may? A friend of mine wants me to do it with her-even tho I live in north Wales!!! But will see how I get on xx

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

summergurl said:

Xx

Yay, glad you've got a half closer to home. Have you done that one before?

Ps: you're on the runner's forum aren't you?

Welshtigger said:
Good stuff! That's late this year isn't it? I thought it was normally in may? A friend of mine wants me to do it with her-even tho I live in north Wales!!! But will see how I get on xx

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

Yeah it's usually the last Sunday in may to fall in line with the bank holiday but I'm guessing it's a week later because of the queens something celebration - can't remember what it is that's being celebrated lol xx

coachnomad said:
Yay, glad you've got a half closer to home. Have you done that one before?

Ps: you're on the runner's forum aren't you?

Yeah I did the Plymouth half this year it was my first race! Looking to break the 2hr30 barrier next year - will need to knock off 10mins so :fingerscrossed:

Yep on the runnersforum - guessing you are too? Xx

Yes I saw you posting on one of the thread on there, I think it might have been the Silverstone half thread. My user name on there is nomad - I know lots of imagination!!!

Morning all!
This weekend I am due to (increasing on last week's performance by 1km again) attempt a 17km run.

So, rather than run during the week for an hour on two days, as per usual, I have decided to mix things up a bit and instead do:
1) 45 minute run with lots of hills (treadmill program)
2) 30 minute run with lots of sprints in it

Yesterday I did the hills run. I think I sweated as much in 45 minutes than I did last week running 16km at a slow steady pace. It was a real toughie.

I had been putting off tackling hills and speed for ages but the times and distances involved otherwise were getting a bit excessive for someone who just started running six months ago, so I'm hoping this strategy will pay dividends whilst leaving me with an extra 45 minutes a week free time ;)

Tomorrow I'm going to do the sprints bit. I'll have a think about how to approach this. If you have any ideas, let me know (ie. run steady for 90 seconds, sprint for 60 seconds, X 12 ??)

Biggy xx

biggysmalls said:
Morning all!
This weekend I am due to (increasing on last week's performance by 1km again) attempt a 17km run.

So, rather than run during the week for an hour on two days, as per usual, I have decided to mix things up a bit and instead do:
1) 45 minute run with lots of hills (treadmill program)
2) 30 minute run with lots of sprints in it

Yesterday I did the hills run. I think I sweated as much in 45 minutes than I did last week running 16km at a slow steady pace. It was a real toughie.

I had been putting off tackling hills and speed for ages but the times and distances involved otherwise were getting a bit excessive for someone who just started running six months ago, so I'm hoping this strategy will pay dividends whilst leaving me with an extra 45 minutes a week free time ;)

Tomorrow I'm going to do the sprints bit. I'll have a think about how to approach this. If you have any ideas, let me know (ie. run steady for 90 seconds, sprint for 60 seconds, X 12 ??)

Biggy xx

Wow well done! Are you doing a half marathon sooner than the rest? As you seem to be motoring on really well :) my program doesn't even start til just before Christmas which means I finish the b210k and then just keep building from that :)

That's fantastic Biggy!!! I can't quite imagine running that far yet. Brilliant!

I did a 5 mile run today. My time was 42 mins 43 secs, so pleased with my times. It's amazing the difference these new trainers have made.

Blimey Shazzabir, that's how long it takes me to run 3 miles, it takes me about an hour to run 5 miles!!!!

Unfortunately my training is on hold for a few days as I'm having a bit of a twinge in my hip. It doesn't seem to hurt when I'm running but I'm not going to push it and make it worse.

Well done and good luck everyone :)

Wow well done! Are you doing a half marathon sooner than the rest? As you seem to be motoring on really well :) my program doesn't even start til just before Christmas which means I finish the b210k and then just keep building from that :)

Thanks for the encouragement! I have actually not entered a half-marathon, I can't find any that are suitable for my location really, but I reckon I'll aim to get up to that distance and then pull it back, reducing to shorter runs and resting a bit / trying other activities. It would just be a great achievement for me to know I am capable of that distance and maybe in the future I will enter some races / half-marathon and start my training all over again. I finished B210k back in August so have been building slowly since then xx

I did a 5 mile run today. My time was 42 mins 43 secs, so pleased with my times. It's amazing the difference these new trainers have made.

Thats a fab time! Gives you a pace of just over 8m30secs per mile :D

42mins 43secs would see me just short of 4miles! You are flying chick :)

summergurl said:
Thats a fab time! Gives you a pace of just over 8m30secs per mile :D

42mins 43secs would see me just short of 4miles! You are flying chick :)

Omg that's phenomenal :)
Slightly off topic I know, but have just looked at your before/after pics Summergurl-and just wanted to say how motivational they are. Well done. If I look half as good as that when I get to target, I'll be a happy Jojo xx

Thanks guys!

I think it is mainly down to changing how I run. The gait analysis made me more aware of how I run and I found I didnt really use my muscles in my legs to push with (if that makes sense), also I find I now need to increase the treadmill to run at a faster pace to make the run more comfortable.

Wow shazzabir, I am blown away with how speedy you are! I am much, much slower but hopefully with some work can improve speed a bit. Well done!

Back