Half marathon training

Morning, hope your migraine passes quickly Shazzabir and that the new trainers help the knee pain.

I finally found a decent half marathon app for the phone and started training yesterday! I haven't finished the B210k app and I've started the half marathon one a few weeks in, about where I was with the 10k app so all is good :)

Coachnomad - you're on fire!
Shazzabir - that's good news on the gait analysis. I really should do something like that. I think there's a shop off of High Holborn I can go visit. I hope your migraine disappears soon. Poor thing :-(

For now though my half marathon training will need to wait a little bit. This weekend coming I am going on a mini cycling break, and I will now only get the chance for a couple of short runs between now and then. After that though, I may get myself up for the gait analysis (I may even try running in that direction tomorrow so I can find out what the score is) - and then crack on with my 'add a km at a time' plan. I still worry that I just don't get the time for the runs, but I know I can do a 30 min, a 40/45 min and a longer 60 min during my lunchtime. I need to get used to doing a longer 1hour plus run on my own on a Sunday when the sprog is otherwise engaged though I think.

Keep cracking on though girls! :)

Nice to hear from everyone. Shazza, you'll be back into the swing of your training again soon, I hope.
What a horrible, cold day. I have exercised in some shape or form for four days on the trot now so I'm definitely due a rest day tonight, I think.
Gonna get a fire lit (it's about 5/6 degrees here in n.i) and just relax tonight x

Well I am back....!! Headaches gone and just did a 5k in 27 mins 45 secs, so well impressed. I have changed my running style since seeing how I run on the gait analysis, amazingly did a 5k 5 mins quicker than my last few 5k runs!! Also no knee pain!!!
Could also be down to the go faster stripes on my new trainers, lol :)

Gait analysis is a must! I ran for 10months in the 'wrong' trainers and after the half marathon I had a bad knee and then a bad ankle ... went to get gait tested and found out i'd been running in a neutral trainer when I massively over pronate!!

Since getting correct trainers the injuries have healed although I will probably always suffer a little bit with them now and again!

You all sound like you are doing really well :D x

Uf, tonight I did a 16km run.....bloody hell, I'm not going to lie, it was HARD going (which makes it feel even better to have done it) I really felt like stopping, even 0.5km from the end.
DEFINITELY having a day off exercise tomorrow! In fact, I'm having a treat night - wine and a nice slap-up meal...Bring it on!

Wow! Have just read this thread and you guys are so inspirational. I have completed c25k once and then decided to do it again, all outside to pick up my pace-i was going great guns and reached wk 7 but then I have had alot of stuff going on and subsequently haven't run for over 3 weeks! Am going for a short jog tonight and then going to crack on with the last 2 weeks before going on with B210k which is sat on my iPhone patiently waiting. This will have me up to 10k before Christmas and would love to enter a half marathon in the spring. Are there a lot of you doing the silverstone one?
Jo x

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

Well done Biggy, you are making fantastic progress!!

Welshtigger, great to see u on here. I'm sure you'll soon be up to 10k.
Yes there are a few of us doing Silverstone. :)

I am still upping my distance, still taking it easy though. I am increasing by 1/2 a km each run until I am back to a comfortable 10k, which will probably be next weekend. The good news is I am having no knee pain!!!!!!!

Shazzabir said:
Well done Biggy, you are making fantastic progress!!

Welshtigger, great to see u on here. I'm sure you'll soon be up to 10k.
Yes there are a few of us doing Silverstone. :)

I am still upping my distance, still taking it easy though. I am increasing by 1/2 a km each run until I am back to a comfortable 10k, which will probably be next weekend. The good news is I am having no knee pain!!!!!!!

I'm seriously contemplating it myself-have looked at last years finish times and the slowest person finished in 3hrs 45, which is slower than my 10k pace from 6 months ago! I know it's a big jump, but it works out that I have 20 weeks, well 19 weeks and 6 days lol, to train, and think it might be the push I need! Do you think it's realistic in that time frame? Is it a ballot entry system? x

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

Yes go for it!! At the very least it will motivate you for 5 mths!! I think you will have time to get the training in though :)

I'm seriously contemplating it myself-have looked at last years finish times and the slowest person finished in 3hrs 45, which is slower than my 10k pace from 6 months ago! I know it's a big jump, but it works out that I have 20 weeks, well 19 weeks and 6 days lol, to train, and think it might be the push I need! Do you think it's realistic in that time frame? Is it a ballot entry system? x

19weeks is plenty of time. If you have a good solid base for running then you can train effectively for a 1/2 in around 16 weeks :)

I'm jealous of you all doing silverstone :( xx

Back