Half marathon training

Hi, can I join this thread please?
I made a vow around 3 years ago that I would complete a half marathon (either an official one or just running 13 miles) before I turn 41.
Well I was 39 in August and although I completed Couch to 5K a couple of weeks ahead of schedule a year ago I haven't run much this year and the weight has crept back on.
I'm starting again from scratch using some of Jeff Galloway's training plans, a 10k plan initially and then the half marathon plan.
If I'm able to I will enter the Robin Hood half in September 2012, the only thing that may prevent me is that don't drive so will need to arrange a family member hopefully to get me to the race and back on the day.:)

Hi and welcome, Run & Pedal. It can be done! i started with C25k in April as a total beginner. Then I progressed on to B210K. From there I have gradually increased distance and worked a bit on hills and speed (just a little bit!)
So far, my personal best is 19km (11.80605265 miles, to be exact!)

Next week I plan to meet my aim of running 13 miles. It's my personal half-marathon! good luck with your journey. I would never have believed that this was possible.

Gym session done.

I RAN 5 MILES!!!!!!!!! I haven't done that for over a year!!! I didn't really plan to do it, just after completing c25k w6d2 I felt like I could go on so I did it again. Then I kept running until I reached 5 miles. Feel fantastic now!!! It took me exactly an hour to do. Woohoo!!!!!!!!

Your doing fantastic Biggysmalls!!!!!

Rachel - 5 miles is brilliant, bet you were really pleased!

Run and pedal - Welcome aboard. You have plenty of time to prepare for your half marathon :)

I am progressing to 11k at the w/e.......new territory for me!!

Biggysmalls, that will be wonderful to reach your goal next week!

Welcome Rachel and runandpedal and well done everyone on your efforts so far!

Well I've had a few hold ups with the running - just the bairn being at home that sort of thing. But I'm getting my mojo back I think. I did my first 6 miles yesterday for the first time in weeks. Was really hard to be honest. I'm planning on increasing my distance by 0.5 - 1k each week now in readiness for Silverstone. At work I nearly always have a running partner (about 4 or 5 different blokes come with me). Some do 5 and 10k races, one just to get fit, one doing a half marathon in Feb and one the London marathon. I've had three offers to do the longer runs at work which is lovely. Will spur me on when its hard. It's the two short runs I need to take care off. Need to do some interval work, and a hilly one too (fortunately I live on the north downs, so plenty of that going spare).

I'm also thinking that later next year I'd like to do a triathlon. So this will hopefully encourage me to get some different forms of exercise in. All supposed to help isn't it?

Anyhoo, my muscles are a little achy now from yesterday's run. I'm planning a ,shorter 5k today, so hopefully that will help ease them again.

Keep going girlies!

Xx

That's great Pinkie. The extra motivation is brilliant, should really help. I'm sure you'll squeeze though extra runs in :)

Today is the big day that I attempt to run half marathon distance....I'll set off in about an hour! wish me luck x

Good luck, let us know how u get on :)

I have just entered a 5k run for next sunday and next years plymouth half marathon!! :D

I did it! You know what, I reckon the challenge is 40% physical and at least 60% mental. The last mile was only marginally harder than the first, my legs got a bit stiff. But emotionally, I went through the whole range of feelings, from "Flip this, I'm quitting" to "This is easy I hardly know I'm running!" over and over again. Not surprising really - even thirty minutes runs can be a bit like that.
It took me almost two hours thirty minutes and that included one toilet stop and one stop to drink a bit. So not very fast obviously but I'm really happy I met my challenge. I would never have believed this possible - I only took up running in April, just over six months ago.

Fantastic Biggysmalls!!!! You should be so proud, that is an amazing accomplishment!!! Well done! :)

That's a brilliant time hun!! Well done :)
And that's not even a race, a race you can expect to be a bit quicker cuz of adrenaline & the crowds.

Totally agree with you though, it's defo more of a mental challenge than physical.

biggysmalls said:
I did it! You know what, I reckon the challenge is 40% physical and at least 60% mental. The last mile was only marginally harder than the first, my legs got a bit stiff. But emotionally, I went through the whole range of feelings, from "Flip this, I'm quitting" to "This is easy I hardly know I'm running!" over and over again. Not surprising really - even thirty minutes runs can be a bit like that.
It took me almost two hours thirty minutes and that included one toilet stop and one stop to drink a bit. So not very fast obviously but I'm really happy I met my challenge. I would never have believed this possible - I only took up running in April, just over six months ago.

Well done! And 2.5 hours isn't slow at all! I'm aiming for 3 hours

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

Biggysmalls - that's amazing. Well done you!! You should be walking around now with a massive smile on your face!!xx

biggysmalls said:

Yay! That is soooooooo fantastic! I'm really pleased to hear you did it. So great to achieve goals isn't it?

So, what next.......

Thanks all! My legs are still aching.
What next? A bit of a break. I'm looking at working on my strength (weights) more for a while so will be cutting back on the running. Probably just going to do 30 minutes runs. I feel like now I have got somewhere with running, I want to try my hand at other sports - things I would not have previously considered.
But I will keep an eye for half marathons to enter in future and if I see one, will enter and resume my training. Thanks again xx

I have finally progressed!!!! A did a 7 mile run this morning!! I felt as though I could have run further, but time was against me. So feeling very pleased with myself!!

Hope you'll still be around Biggysmalls :)

Back