Has anyone else noticed......

kazz

Gold Member
.....that they become more critical of themselves the more weight they lose:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I keep picking faults with various parts of me, where before I started CD I wouldnt....I started off wearing mostly size 18...and now can fit into a lot of size 14's yet it doesnt feel good enuf.....WTF is that all about????:confused: :confused: :confused:

Over the last week quite a few people have commented on my weight loss so I should actually be feeling good about myself, but am feeling kind of, not worse, but I dunno how to describe it....I am a very confuzzled person tonight....

Often, at our biggest, we resign ourselves to how we look and try to 'make the best of it'. You are now doing something about it, and conversely become more critical because we are not a 'completed work' yet, but a work in progress and no matter how fast it happens it doesn't happen fast enough!

hhmmm you must be right DQ...its silly though...I should be happier with myself now than I was a couple of months back....my size 16 trousers are at risk of falling down if I dont wear a belt with them, and a year ago I would've done anything to get that, but now its not enough....

Your so right about it not happening fast enough...*****sigh*****!

What you have to remember is that your size 14s and 16s are like the scaffolding - hiding the beautifying work going on underneath. Just think 2007 will see the gorgeous new you! :cool:

What you have to remember is that your size 14s and 16s are like the scaffolding - hiding the beautifying work going on underneath. Just think 2007 will see the gorgeous new you! :cool:

Thanks hun....I like that idea!! 2007 is gonna have to be my year...I refuse to let another year go by feeling sh*t about myself...well, about my weight anyway!

Bet the rest of your life gets even fabber when you are happier about your weight - your whole outlook will change - go for it girl! :D

Hi Kazz

On the bright side. As you are still feeling disatisfied with your size your motivation to keep going and get to goal will still be strong. So many of us get to 'normal' size but not to ideal and then struggle because we do not have the real drive to get to goal that we had in the beginning.

Dizzy x

.....that they become more critical of themselves the more weight they lose:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

This was mentioned in the psychology of dieting article I posted this morning.

I quote

In the Keys experiment it was noted that men who had no previous concerns with their appearance and weight began to experience changes in the way they perceived their bodies, paradoxically several of the men complained about feeling overweight even though they had lost weight and they began to experience critical evaluations of their body shape and size.

For me it's not just a weight thing either ... since losing some weight, I've been critical of my saggy eyes (I think I look like a weary bloodhound), my veins (map of the inland waterways of England on my legs), my hair and various other bits and pieces. :rolleyes:

Well, I am glad its not just me....!! And RD, like you, its not just my weight that is bothering me now...I have bags under my eyes that seem to have been there forever, my tummy looks like a train track, my calves will ptobably never shrink as much as I want them to, my teeth could do with being whitened and my boobs need attention.....Suppose its better that we critiscise ourselves, than other people doing it for us though...

Hi Kazz

Just thinking you need to focus a little more on your positives. Shame to be so self critical. Did you post on BBFM's learn to love yourself thread. I will look it up as i haven't added to it for a while.

Even though being driven to goal is a positive I think it's important to be nice to yourself. I've been really nice to myself from the day I started CD I think I just felt so proud to be finally doing myself some good and taking control.

You undoubtably have lots of postives physical and otherwise so write them down, why don't you?

Dizzy x

Hi Kazz

Just thinking you need to focus a little more on your positives. Shame to be so self critical. Did you post on BBFM's learn to love yourself thread. I will look it up as i haven't added to it for a while.

Even though being driven to goal is a positive I think it's important to be nice to yourself. I've been really nice to myself from the day I started CD I think I just felt so proud to be finally doing myself some good and taking control.

You undoubtably have lots of postives physical and otherwise so write them down, why don't you?

Dizzy x

Hi Dizzy....dont know if I have seen that thread to be honest.....right now the only positives I can think of are things like I can now wear size 14 jeans, have had to get rid of a LOAD of clothes that wont even go near me anymore....actually my trying on to get rid of clothes session was very amusing, was putting trousers on over skirts and at one stage had around 7 layers on....and they still were too loose...

Must go think of some more positive things....

Here's 2 to start you off!

You have really pretty eyes.

You like to help other out whenever you can.

Am I right?

Dizzy x

Good for you and also seem to be a very caring and intelligent mum too from what you have posted!

Your diary is probably a very good place to write your list. i have also bumped up the Learn to love yourself thread too!

Dizzy x

I can relate to this. I have size 10 trousers!! OK they're full of Lycra and side fastening and stretchy. But hell, a few months ago they woudln't have gone past my knees.

Am I happy? Nope.

I have a tummy. The same one I had when I started. In fact I have the same shape I had before, but it's like the air has been let out. I'm not mad, the tummy is still there - not even close to flat - in fact there are still two - a top and bottom one. Just the same. When you look at me from the front it doesn't look like I've lost weight.

Now I think what's the point, it isn't going in the last bit left - so why bother?

But it's because I'm so used to thinking badly about myself that I've just moved from criticizing myself for being fat to criticizing other bits.

Also, a dream is sold of 'lose weight and your whole life will be fixed' and of course it isn't. So, the weight loss dream can't be wrong it's so ingrained that you feel its still your fault for not being thin enough or perfect enough. If you get thin or perfect everything else will be right too.

OK - It's time to step away from the counselling books!!

Last edited:
Glad to have helped Kazz.

Really hope you can 'learn to love yourself!'

You deserve to as you are doing such a fantastic thing for yourself and ultimately for your daughter too and doing it so successfully too.

Hope you've got that Friday feeling now!

Dizzy x

Well, if I dont love myself, noone else will....so i'm gonna have to learn!! its mad though, cos even though i have managed to find so many bad points about myself, my confidence is at an all time high really, and I think that is coming acrossto people I see every day as well....

I can relate to this. I have size 10 trousers!! OK they're full of Lycra and side fastening and stretchy. But hell, a few months ago they woudln't have gone past my knees.

Am I happy? Nope.

I have a tummy. The same one I had when I started. In fact I have the same shape I had before, but it's like the air has been let out. I'm not mad, the tummy is still there - not even close to flat - in fact there are still two - a top and bottom one. Just the same. When you look at me from the front it doesn't look like I've lost weight.

Now I think what's the point, it isn't going in the last bit left - so why bother?

But it's because I'm so used to thinking badly about myself that I've just moved from criticizing myself for being fat to criticizing other bits.

Also, a dream is sold of 'lose weight and your whole life will be fixed' and of course it isn't. So, the weight loss dream can't be wrong it's so ingrained that you feel its still your fault for not being thin enough or perfect enough. If you get thin or perfect everything else will be right too.

OK - It's time to step away from the counselling books!!

No no no no no!!! your not allowed to feel bad about yourself!! Do wat Dizzy said and go to th learn to love yourself thread and start learning girl!!!;)

Back