has anyone got to goal weight and maintained for more than a year or 2??

bluedress21

Just wondering.. I'm no where near goal weight but after seeing so many restarters on this that had previously lost 5-10 stone and have now put it back on worries me! .. I realise it is so hard and must be difficult to stay the same! Does anyone have any tips or sugestions to maintain! I want to be focused so that when I do reach goal weight I have something in place because I NEVERRR want to do this again! .. But I'm sure the other successfull people that got to goal all said this to ..

The maintainers forum might be the place to ask, and get tips - but obviously, they're a self-selecting group.

Depending on which statistic you use, between 80-95% of people are 'unsuccessful' dieters (on all diets). (The definition used for the more modern 80% statistic is that the person lost at least 10% of their body weight and kept it off for at least one year). So - one in five last a year. There are no stats I can find for studies that look at regain past that period. In fact, there are surprisingly few stats at all.

What I did find was a study that said ultimately, you're no more or less likely to regain weight if you're on a VLCD, although VLCD dieters do tend to regain more, faster - conventional dieters regain more slowly.

The point is that im not a statistic, and nor are you. We are individuals with free will and a psychological makeup and intellect and social life and home life and occupation and history and biology. And all of those variables, some of which you can influence or control, will decided whether this works for you.

fwiw, I intend to see a therapist once i've finished this diet, to help address my psychological barriers to eating normally. I think getting to goal really is just the beginning.

edit - all my facts and figures came from here. Worth a read.

Last edited:
Yes everything you say is so true! And i agree about the decisions you make! Jst worrying seeing people that have worked so hard having to re do it! Yes I too am starting to see a therapist have an appt booked already! I was due to see one before I this diet but never got round to it! Not that I had an awfull life just things that happen when your younger and u don't know how to deal with them but now I'm getting the weight off I think I should deal with emotional eating that I have.

Back