has anyone lost weight but can't see it?

Kaylalou

I have lost over 5st so far in my journey. :D I still have a fair bit to go as you can see from my details.

But I do not see any difference when I look at before and after pics etc. I also asked a friend her honest opinion and she doesn't see that much of a change either.

I know there must be a change because when I started I was a size 24 and now I am a size 18-20. I am also dissapointed that the sizes have not gone down more too. :confused:

Has anyone else had this weight loss problem? Its really difficult to keep motivated sometimes when you just don't see a change even though the scales are telling me different.

Any comments / help would be geatly appreciated :wave_cry:

Kayla
x

Congrats on the great weight loss! 5st would have made a great difference to your shape.As i know, it can be annoying when you see the scales going down but you cant really see you've lost that much weight yourself.

You could have built more muscle mass if you've been exercising and you have obviously lost lots of inches :D going down dress sizes!

Dont be dissapointed. be proud that you are taking control of your health and weight and doing something for yourself :happy096:

Good things come to those who wait,and if you stick to it like you have been,you'll get there.

Thanks for that Charlies angel09. Its just hard. I will keep going as I just don't want to be fat anymore. But its so frustrating sometimes.

Now doing RC as an added boost to my dietician, meeting others trying to loose weight and doing excercise.

When you look at b4 and after pics of people who have lost less than me there is a massive change and its amazing just a shame one of them isn't me

They do say that the slower it comes off,the more likely it is that the weight will stay off!!
In the past i have done fad diets because other people were getting faster results than me but realised i wasnt going to jepordise my health.

Both you and the other people are losing weight,obviously all at different rates,perception is a funny thing and they could think the same about you!

Why not try rewarding yourself everytime you lose 7lbs etc.. with a nice outfit or a bubble bath etc.. something as a non-food related treat :D I do this so that i dont associate my weight loss celebration with food!!

Hey hun, thanks for this the reward thing is something I have been doing after each stone. Trying not to tie it in with food, so far I bought a fitness dvd, wii game, new outfit, new sunglasses and at 5st got a weekend away with my fella bless him. When I get to 10st going to have a spar day i think to really pamper myself LOL!

How muche weight / what diet have you been following? How are you doing?

No probs :D.Rewards are the best way as it gives you something to look foward to.Apparently,Wii Fit is good,tried it once and it felt like a proper workout!

Ive been on so many diets i cant count lol but im trying good old fashioned calorie counting, how about you?
Only lost 7lbs right now from my biggest 9st 3 to 8st 10
(im only 5ft 5 though not 5ft 8 like you-i wish!!):jelous:

My goal is to eventually be the size 6 i was last year but build muscle so i dont look all bony:character00115:

What are your goals, long term or short term :)

Well I currently have 2 goals.

Wear a size 16 wedding dress (getting married July 2010) Not been a 16 for a long long time so that would be quite a big thing for me. :rolleyes:

My ultimate weight goal is 12stone. My ideal weight for my height is actually more like 10st 6lb but will see how I am at 12stone.

Size wise would like to be a 12. Or actually be able to walk into top shop without the alarms going off LOL

'WARNING TO FAT - GO STRAIGHT TO SHOES AND BAGS!' :D

Kaylalou congrats on the up and coming wedding, thats a great incentive to get to your goal! :talk017:Lol

Topshop sizes do it quite small though i always make sure i get one size bigger in there but because you are tall you will be able to carry your weight more..what sort of dress do you think you'll get??

To georgiestar-I have a very small frame,so the 8st 10 i am now feels big on me.Im careful to take care of my health and i am a size 6-8 at 8st 3 giving me a BMI of 18.8 which is healthy :D

5 stone weight loss is fantastic. I know what you mean about waiting for the visible results, though. I think if you're taller it takes longer for the loss to show dramatically. After all, it takes longer for fat to show on a taller frame, too, I think. And you don't usually drop as many sizes as a petite statured person might, taller folk seem to be able to squeeze themselves into a size through a wide range of weight. But hang in there because there will be a day soon when you'll catch sight of yourself in a mirror and it'll be another person looking back.

Something I've found with losing weight is that the shape of the body goes through some very strange phases. There's the whole hormonal cycle craziness to factor in, but beyond that I find that areas of the body lose at very different rates and it's a bit like a one-armed bandit effect... every few months your hips/boobs/waist will hit three cherries effectively and look in sync together, but most of the time one area is shedding a little ahead of, or behind, the others. So it's tough for your brain to process what you see in the mirror with the constant changes in proportion.

I hope the above didn't sound too nuts. It made sense in my head, but that doesn't always mean much! Congrats again on your weight loss so far, and on the upcoming wedding!

Kaylalou congrats on the up and coming wedding, thats a great incentive to get to your goal! :talk017:Lol

Topshop sizes do it quite small though i always make sure i get one size bigger in there but because you are tall you will be able to carry your weight more..what sort of dress do you think you'll get??

To georgiestar-I have a very small frame,so the 8st 10 i am now feels big on me.Im careful to take care of my health and i am a size 6-8 at 8st 3 giving me a BMI of 18.8 which is healthy :D

I'll share a secret - I'm still scared to go into Topshop. It's one of the few stores in the UK that hasn't jumped on the vanity sizing bandwagon. You know that the size you buy in Topshop is the size you actually are - as opposed to say M&S, where a size 8 is actually more like a 12.

I'm a fan of Dorothy Perkins, simply because they have the consideration to offer tall chicks a good range of 36" trousers. They will have my loyalty forever for this, but I must admit that their sizing, particularly in the tall range, is pretty bonkers, nearly as bad as M&S. One of these days I'm going to brave Topshop again (haven't been in since I was about 15!) and find out what I can really wear.

By the way - anyone shop at Next? Never tried any of their stuff, but I saw online that they have a tall range and I was thinking of trying it. Just not sure how their sizing runs.

Don't get discouraged! You've lost an impressive amount of weight! Well done. I know what you mean, I've lost just over a stone and I was thinking the other day that my belly felt bigger than ever! That's because tho I've lost an inch of my bust and waist and hips, the majority of it has gone from my spare tyre! So I have far less covering over my ribs, but of course I didn't measure myself round there did I? But the missing mass makes the belly seem to bulge out!
As you lose more weight, shifting just a few pounds will result in a dramatic change in shape. You and your friend won't be objective about your weight as you're both round it all the time. I bet if you meet someone who hasn't seen you since you started , they would be gobsmacked!

I was feeling the exact same, I couldn't see any difference when looking in the mirror. I started as size 22-24 and now am 14-16 so obviously theres a difference. I tried on my biggest trousers - size 24, and could fit into one leg, that was the best way for me to recognise how far I have come. Perhaps try that?

For me I think I had never realised how big I actually was........ Back then I thought I was about the size that I actually am now - 6 stone lighter. I find it really hard to imagine what size I actually was. Especially since I have VERY few photos!

I have lost over 5st so far in my journey. :D I still have a fair bit to go as you can see from my details.

But I do not see any difference when I look at before and after pics etc. I also asked a friend her honest opinion and she doesn't see that much of a change either.

I know there must be a change because when I started I was a size 24 and now I am a size 18-20. I am also dissapointed that the sizes have not gone down more too. :confused:

Has anyone else had this weight loss problem? Its really difficult to keep motivated sometimes when you just don't see a change even though the scales are telling me different.

Any comments / help would be geatly appreciated :wave_cry:

Kayla
x

Hi Kaylalou,

Well done on the 5st weight loss! That is an amazing achievement! :D

I am the same height as you (5ft 8"). I started my weight loss journey (this time around!) at 13st 5 lbs when I was a size 16/18. I am now 11st 11 lbs and a size 14. There are some days when I notice the difference and some days when I still feel fat.

I think it's all psychological at the end of the day. It takes a while for the mind to catch up with the physical changes to your body. You are wearing smaller sizes in clothes so you must be smaller! Try on some of your clothes from before and see how much room you have in them - that will probably amaze you!

Just keep going and get to your goal weight. I'm sure you will be able to see the results soon! :)

Hi Kayalou, i was in the same position a few months ago - i just could not see it. I think before we diet, we are used to our bodies, we don't pay them much attention, or we try and ignore our weight issues. When we begin to diet, our perceptions totally alter: something has snapped in our minds which was not there before. We are far more aware of not only what we put in our bodies, but what it looks like too. Yes, we see fat and feel fat because before we would never think or analyse it. It's a bit like when you're looking for something and can't find it, but it's actually right in front of you, in the most obvious place.

You have lost weight, you will look slimmer and eventually you will see it for yourself.

Good luck and well done on your weight loss.

firstly a fantastic acheivment in your result of losing 5 stone,

secondly, dont forget you live with your body all the time,
its harder to see the change, im sure everyone else does...

keep at it your doing fantastic......

and i had the same thing when i lost 3 stone a few years back, dont worry....

Keep going! Your shape might not look so different to you but your health MUST be improving. And as more weight comes off, I think you'll suddenly start to look skinny. After all, at the moment you have gone from a chubby girl to a less chubby girl...but that path will suddenly become the one that leads to a tall, willowy, sex bomb!

Losing five stones is an incredible achievement, you are truly an inspiration and your reward will soon be more apparent.

Well thanks to all who have given me support and replies. Sorry I have not been about i have got shingles and its been far too painfull to do anything.

Thanks again
xx

Back