have i quit smoking? im confused

XlosingitX

Gold Member
i gave up smoking 9 days ago am using patched 24 hour one i presumed i was doing really well but ive read lots latley that patches are not that good and when u reduce to the smaller patches u get your cravings back as of now i dont get any cravings ( though i would like a fag :eek:) so am i too expect craving when i move to the smaller ones

Hi ya I gave up smoking 4 years 3 months ago(yes I still count) lol!

I did it using the NHS smoking cessation service and patches. I went from 20 a day to none:D

The best advice they give on the NHS service is don't do the step down programme with patches, use the full strength patches for 12 weeks then come off them all together. I tried the step down approach twice and not only was it expensive it didn't work for me either.

I also use an inhalator as a crutch for a while too, i originally got a trial pack and used it alongside the patch which is perfectly safe to do, then just had the inhalator for a week or so after the patch kind of as emotional support. I didn't buy any further cartridges just eked out the trial pack for as long as possible.

The problem with giving your body nicoteine is that it continues to have cravings between the hits so by using full strength to none method you reduce the nicoteine anyway as there is not as much in a patch as there is in fags.

I also found that physically putting the amount of money i spent every day in a sealed clear jar gave me an incentive to continue. After 6 weeks I had bought myself a new digital camera.

Good luck and feel free to pm me if you have any questions or need some extra support.

I gave up smoking on the 26th of March at 1950hrs!!!

Im still a non smoker and didnt use patches

thank for your replys i may talk to doc about staying on the same strenth for 3 monthes although i dont really get it as i though it was meant to ween me off nicoteen surely if i go from all to nothing ill get bad cravings
... well done can i really do this is :D

I gave up smoking after having had a heart attack in Febuary; was in hospital for 5 days, while there could not have any patches because of all the drips and things. When I came out they gave me patches to bring home but have not used them and still not smoking and never will again!!!!!:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Its takes roughly 4 days for the nicotine to leave your system. And as this is the only thing that makes the ciggies addictive, the patches just give you smaller does - in my opinion, you should try and get off the patches asap as you can become dependant on them too.

Go cold turkey for 4 days and you have no addictive substance in your system.

The habit of smoking is totally different though but always remember its not the smoking you miss, its the nicotine.

I smoked 30/40 a day for 10 years. Stopped 2 1/2 years.

Ivy

hello...i am on patches, started on 19/11/08. i am on the 21mg 24hr patches at the moment and am on the step down program...due to go onto the 14mg patches next week. i am so impressed that i have had no cravings and already feel so much better...not 'dying' when i walk up a hill...which interestingly i always assumed was down to being overweight, and also my skin (face) is so much better...someone even said it was 'glowing'!!! i must admit i really enjoyed smoking and origionally was just giving up for surgery with the intention of re-starting post-op...but now i am having second thoughts...maybe i will stop off the fags...but im not promising!!! good luck to you x

well i agve up in june 08 used all the patches found it so very easy ive been off patches for about a month

Well done:happy096:

Giving up smoking is one of the best things you can do for your health!

Keep up the good work.

Love Mini xxx

i gave up 3 1/2 years ago now the best thing i ever did ... i was asked to do it with someone who wanted to give up and i thought ahh i will just go along with it .. and just stoped and never started again .. i was smoking B&H gold so so strong .... for 15 yrs .. and just decided i had enough and never had once since ...

i feel like i have never been a smoker now .. have to say im a bit of a anti smoking natzi now tho lol ...

i gave up 3 1/2 years ago now the best thing i ever did ... i was asked to do it with someone who wanted to give up and i thought ahh i will just go along with it .. and just stoped and never started again .. i was smoking B&H gold so so strong .... for 15 yrs .. and just decided i had enough and never had once since ...

i feel like i have never been a smoker now .. have to say im a bit of a anti smoking natzi now tho lol ...

Congratulations and well done Brett!

Lucky you that found it so easy...it took me a few years to get it but I finally did it!!!

11 years non smoking:greenapple:

Love Mini xxx

Hi there, its been 4 months since i stopped smoking after 25yrs.
I used Champix, which was prescribed by my GP, these are tablets that you take for 12 weeks and they stop the craving.
I found them fantastic. :)

well done every one :D i started this thread so long ago
i havent smoked since june 08 still cant belive it ! ,,,,,,,wish i could sort my weight out too :(

Nearly two years for me... I've still got my quitkeeper running on my computer. Wish I knew where the money had gone, mind you!

I stopped smoking 707 days ago (1Y 11M 1W 20h 3m ago) and have saved £3,617.03 by not smoking 19,819 cigs. Last EVER cig: 31/01/2007 21:30. I stopped cold turkey. I have lengthened my life by 2M 1W 2D 19h 35m

I stopped smoking 707 days ago (1Y 11M 1W 20h 3m ago) and have saved £3,617.03 by not smoking 19,819 cigs. Last EVER cig: 31/01/2007 21:30. I stopped cold turkey. I have lengthened my life by 2M 1W 2D 19h 35m[/quote]
wow !!!! :eek:

GET OFF PATCHES!!! Do not replace this nicotine addiction with another nicotine replacement just go cold turkey read allen carrs book its awesome

hi guys sorry for intruding but ive only just found this thread day 11 for me woohoo,for some reason last nite was a terriable one:(but i resisted and im here to tell the tale yeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh:)GOOD LUCK EVERYONEXXXXX

Oh hi.. Actually, I'm not a smoker.. But my bestfriend is.. But she already quitted 3 years ago.. [Maybe she don't remember it anymore, but I do.. Hahaha] She once asked me to help her quit smoking, and so I did.. I threw all the cigarettes in her room and am always with her so that I can stop her everytime she wants to smoke.. She also had self-discipline.. And I always remind her.. :copon:haha..

Back