Healthy Foods!

poppyuk

I was just wondering what everyone classes as healthy foods? are some fattening foods better to have as they are healthy like nuts & dried fruit?

my list so far is:
oats
muesli
wholegrain/stoneground bread
eggs
organic butter (better than artificial spreads)
nuts & seeds
veg
fruit
olive oil
fish
chicken
lean meat
honey
wholemeal pasta
wholemeal rice
organic semi skimmed milk

Today i had

Breakfast - porridge with jam
Lunch - egg & salad cream sandwich (scraoing of butter)
Dinner - chicken chow mein
Snacks - fruit (apple & banana) & some Raisins from my graze box

Looks like you are on the right track, i wouldn't add many other foods to your list, though i guess there are probably others you could eat :)

I agree with your list as them all being healthy, but I'm trying to lose weight so therefore I substitute some things on your list for example, I don't eat any butter or spread (but I don't eat bread either), and I use fry light instead of oil.

The only thing I'd add to it is fat free yoghurt, fromage frais and then you've probably covered everything I eat.

My menu today:
breakfast - porridge made with half semi skimmed milk and half water, with mango
lunch - baked potato with non fat cottage cheese, smoked mackerel,
dinner - slow cooked gammon joint (cooked in apple juice with cinnamon and nutmeg) with crushed new potatoes and veg, muller light yoghurt.

I've snacked on fruit (mostly to make sure I got to my 5-a-day).

I do think you need to be careful with dried fruit - it's easy to eat a lot compared with the same fruit in it's original form. I could maybe eat two or three fresh apricots as a snack but give me a bag of dried apricots and they could easily be eaten within a day, which I guess would be a lot more kcals. There is no doubt that they are a healthy food and good for you but if the aim of the game is to lose weight, I think you have to go careful.

morrisons do kids size bags of dried apricots, cheaper too at 39p :) 50g i think they are

only little bags but enough for a snack

Sounds about right. I'm a veggie so eat quite a bit of quorn too which is lower fat than meat and I'd say fairly healthy. I usually eat fruit, rice cakes, dried fruit and raw vegetables for snacks.

Back