Healthy Xmas Buffet Ideas

ermintrude

Gold Member
OK at Xmas at my mum's we always end up having a buffet at night to make things 'easier' *cough* :rolleyes: and party-style, unfortunately this tends to happen every night and is bursting at the seams with syns.

So I thought Id start a thread where we can all put ideas for healthy SW-friendly buffet style stuff.

Ill start with:

- Home-made syn free hummus
- Smash-bread (from the cobbler thread) - use it as garlic bread, dips for hummus, to make Marmite/other flavoured whirls etc (That thread is a gem in itself! :drool: )
- Free/low syn Dips
- Low-fat sausages on sticks
- Lean cold meat slices
- Pickles/pineapple on sticks
- Homemade piccalilli
- Spicy SW wedges
- SW onion bhajis/samosas/pakoras etc
- Spicy chicken fajita pieces
- SW friendly coleslaws/potato salads

Any ideas, add 'em to the list!!! :) Let's see if we can make a ma-hoosive SW-friendly Xmas buffet! :cool:

:xmascheers:

Last edited:
Healthy Xmas BUFFET

I've realised I should probably have called this "Healthy Xmas BUFFET" rather than snacks else I am probably going to get eternally diverted to the numerous snacks threads... Is it possible a mod could change the title? I am specifically looking for buffet-style food, not just general SW-snacks.

You can edit your own posts!
You may edit and change the title of your thread yourself by going into the forum where your thread is and clicking anywhere right of the title name and a box will appear like magic...then you can edit your title.

Or go to the first post of your thread and click edit and then click go advanced...you can now change the title.

Ah I never knew there was an Advanced bit, I could only ever edit content not the title. You learn something new every day. Thanks for that x :)

Loaded potato skins ( bacon, cottage cheese, etc)
KFC style chicken goujons
smash/pitta garlic bread
smash/pitta pizzas
king prawn ring with thousand island dressing (SW style)
Boiled eggs in SW style curried mayo
chicken drum sticks
cold slices of lean meats (ham, beef etc)

Ooooh!!! Here are my ideas;

* Figs quartered and wrapped in prosciutto and held together with a toothpick. You can add a sliver of cheddar in each parcel too
* Spicy chicken wings and "blue cheese" dressing (get skinned chicken wings from your local butcher, and blue cheese dressing is just laughing cow blue cheese mixed with yogurt and chives)
* Corn cobettes (either steamed or grilled)
* Massive SW quiche that you can cut thick wedges from :D
* Lentil & mushroom loaf (I've seen the recipe floating around here)
* Puy lentil salad!
* Roasted vegetable salad (rosemary roasted squash, peppers, courgettes, aubergines, red onions, served on a bed of spinach and drizzled with balsamic vinegar)
* Mung bean wraps, filled with whatever you like and cut into rounds (quark, tomatoes & basil is a lovely simple filling)
* Potato salad (Mix one part light mayo with 4 parts low fat plain yogurt for your dressing OR just use hummus instead of mayo!)
* Roasted plantain (cut into diagonal slices, S&P and roasted until golden brown. Great to dip in hummus too! This always goes down a treat!)
* Olives
* BIG platter of hummus and other dips with veg crudites and roasted potato wedges
* Joe's mini chipolatas
* Devilled eggs (very retro lol)
* Patatas bravas (Spanish potatoes in tomato sauce)
* Grilled prawns
* Crab dip (crab meat, low fat plain yogurt, light mayonnaise, light philadelphia, paprika, chopped celery, chopped gherkins)
* Platter of smoked salmon with lemon, capers and a dollop of quark mixed with chives
* SW scotch eggs
* Bruschettas on slices of potato instead of ciabatta (tomatoes, balsamic & basil OR mashed up peas & mint are nice toppings)
* Loaded potato skins
* Couscous salad
* Platters of chopped fruit
* Pineapple pieces or strawberries mixed with fresh chopped mint and sugar
* Mini meringues topped with Greek yogurt and fruit

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Honey! I'm coming to yours for Xmas!!! :eek: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

:D

Cucumber cups stuffed with anything free?
Cottage cheese
Prawns
Ham
Egg

I love this thread! X

Attachments

• image-1154244044.jpg
    image-1154244044.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 758
Cucumber cups stuffed with anything free?
Cottage cheese
Prawns
Ham
Egg

I love this thread! X

Ooh ooh ooh! They look fantastic! Where do you get that plate thingie? Thats TOTALLY Xmas buffet!

Oo I am loving this thread. Maybe some SW Tuna pasta salad. Tiny burgers and low syn sausages would be good. I love Buffet food so will watch this closely :)
xxx

Honeyoc said:
Ooooh!!! Here are my ideas;

* Figs quartered and wrapped in prosciutto and held together with a toothpick. You can add a sliver of cheddar in each parcel too
* Spicy chicken wings and "blue cheese" dressing (get skinned chicken wings from your local butcher, and blue cheese dressing is just laughing cow blue cheese mixed with yogurt and chives)
* Corn cobettes (either steamed or grilled)
* Massive SW quiche that you can cut thick wedges from :D
* Lentil & mushroom loaf (I've seen the recipe floating around here)
* Puy lentil salad!
* Roasted vegetable salad (rosemary roasted squash, peppers, courgettes, aubergines, red onions, served on a bed of spinach and drizzled with balsamic vinegar)
* Mung bean wraps, filled with whatever you like and cut into rounds (quark, tomatoes & basil is a lovely simple filling)
* Potato salad (Mix one part light mayo with 4 parts low fat plain yogurt for your dressing OR just use hummus instead of mayo!)
* Roasted plantain (cut into diagonal slices, S&P and roasted until golden brown. Great to dip in hummus too! This always goes down a treat!)
* Olives
* BIG platter of hummus and other dips with veg crudites and roasted potato wedges
* Joe's mini chipolatas
* Devilled eggs (very retro lol)
* Patatas bravas (Spanish potatoes in tomato sauce)
* Grilled prawns
* Crab dip (crab meat, low fat plain yogurt, light mayonnaise, light philadelphia, paprika, chopped celery, chopped gherkins)
* Platter of smoked salmon with lemon, capers and a dollop of quark mixed with chives
* SW scotch eggs
* Bruschettas on slices of potato instead of ciabatta (tomatoes, balsamic & basil OR mashed up peas & mint are nice toppings)
* Loaded potato skins
* Couscous salad
* Platters of chopped fruit
* Pineapple pieces or strawberries mixed with fresh chopped mint and sugar
* Mini meringues topped with Greek yogurt and fruit

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Honey, when are we flying out???

Back