heart rate moniter watches

Not sure what sort of exercise you was doing when you got your max heart rate but i started c25k recently and i know on the wk 2 running which is 90 seconds long my heart rate was up to about 175 bpm, managed to get it down to about 120 while doing the walking part which is my fat burn. Think my heart rate might be higher than most due to me not being used to jogging.

I recently bought a Polar FT4 and I find it mind blowing.. I used to count calories with my xbox and now I am completely confused. On xbox Your Shape one hour of continuos seriously sweating cardio workout (that is more than an hour and a half including breaks between exercises) was nearly 200 kcal. Now the HRM last Saturday when I went hiking counted 1600 kcal?! Isn't that exaggerated though? I mean OK, hills climbing etc, 6 hours of them, but I find it to good to be true

just had a play and changed settings from % to bpm
ave - 155
max - 178 This must have been the cardio bit lol

Fortune Cookie, if you have set the polar hrt up with your weight, height etc then the calories should be correct, i have a polar ft7 and know when i exercise and burn the calories it shows on my weight loss, it is the best exercise buddy for me.

That sounds alot better Kron, there is a way to work out what your max heart rate should be, think its 220 - ur age.

I am such a dope lol just updated my stats to my now weight 50 lbs lighter :)
And when I put the stretchy strap on I had to shorten it by loads
Having a great day now lol

Hello, I was just wondering what is a heart rate monitor and is it worth investing in one? If so, where can I find a cheap but decent one? :)

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

A hrm measures your heart rate during exercise and calculates calories burned
There are loads of different ones ranging hugely in price, my first was £10 one from tesco it only had the basic functions, the one I have now has been sitting in a drawer for months forgotten until gina started this thread lol

I may get one as I have no idea hoe many calories I burn I'm Zumba, classes etc.. did the Tesco one show calories? :)

Im curious, how can you measure calories from heart rate?

Calories burned are not directly related to heart rate; its more related to the number of muscle cells activated, using energy and oxygen that the heart rate responds to. So when I do a bicep curl its one muscle but when I do deadlifts or run its far more complex. Weight and body efficiency as well as chemical influences also have significant impact.

Any ideas how it can work?

Thanks, NeedsMotivation, I did set all the stuff there.. I guess I'll just trust the monitor and see.. :)

MartinD, I did some reading when I bought mine, it's basically a mathematical formula that takes into consideration sex, age, weight, heart rate. I assume is a pretty accurate statistical method that determined this formula, reversing from a known calories consumption back to these variables. It's not a direct, linear relation but still, there is a relation there.

Been thinking on getting one of these - choice was ASDA sportsline at £19 or Ebay where I found a brand new Polar FT4 for £27. Went with the Polar - all I want is HR zone, I'm not sure I trust the calories counters.

Polar will also allow other add ons such as ithlete (more data and use iphone or itouch) so i can do lapt times or more complex stuff in the future. Also connects to my gym's Matrix kit which in turn downloads to Nike+. Jeez you'll know everything online at this rate before you even start exercising....

goodbyeflab said:
I may get one as I have no idea hoe many calories I burn I'm Zumba, classes etc.. did the Tesco one show calories? :)

Hi yes it showed cals burned. I can't remember if it stored the results being a cheapy

which is the best polar watch to get for counting the calories you burn throughout the day? want to see what im burning whilst at work walking round and up and down stairs lol :) thanks :D

hi

I did some research when I chose. Im not 100% sure on calorie counting its more complex than HR can show, so be aware its not 100%.

However...Polar FT4 and FT7 count calories based on heart rate. The FT40 and FT60 also show how much fat should have been burned.

One thing is Polar generally use a chest strap as well as the watch - other makes use a wrist watch only which for all day wearing would be a consideration. Look at the Mio Motiva might be a better option?

Back