heavy bleeding

cable

Gold Member
i know it was warned in all of the info i read up on about how vlcds can affect the thinness of the blood, but has anyone experienced a really heavy period from it?
i dont ususally get them at all as i have the implant but my loss is so heavy atm, i am quite scared of getting anaemic.
i do take a multivitamin is it worth taking iron too or would that be too much iron?

Omg I'm so glad u posted. My period came on Saturday and I've never experienced such a heavy loss. I'm soaking through anything I put on (sorry if tmi) I was worried but makes sense as I'm cold all the time so must be thinner blood?! This is the second period I have had since starting but the first was way at the very beginning so mu blood probably hadn't changed much. It's not
Pleasant tho!

I take the pill to stop my periods or at the very least make them manageable , because after having my son they were very heavy and painful

since being on the diet they have returned and although not as heavy or painful it is a bit of a nuisance
they are also very unpredictable , not at all regular

I'm just going into my 7th week and I'm pleased with my general health/well being and also delighted with my weight loss. I'm glad I'm not the only one with a heavy blood loss I'll need to look at some vitamins I recon. I'm not always having my full quota as far as packs r concerned :-/ what about you Cable? How r you getting on?x

yes phoenix i never never get them as i am on the implant, this is the first in over 2 yrs, but it is very heavy which i was worried about,

i have 3 packs a day with veg and a bar, i am going to start adding some protein from today.

Hi cable, I have the implant too and periods have always been irregular but when it stopped I wouldn't see it again for a few months. Since starting this diet it basically been my TOTM for all but 4 days!! Not particularly heavy but constant!! Stops for a day or 2 then comes back, I'm just telling myself it's a small price to pay for now and hoping it sods off soon!! x

maybe its because i am just not used to it, yes it is a small price to pay most definitley.

im curious as to why this happens , i think i read somewhere its to do with changes in hormone levels , well whatever , I wish it would just bog off lol

Hi cable, I have the implant too and periods have always been irregular but when it stopped I wouldn't see it again for a few months. Since starting this diet it basically been my TOTM for all but 4 days!! Not particularly heavy but constant!! Stops for a day or 2 then comes back, I'm just telling myself it's a small price to pay for now and hoping it sods off soon!! x

I second this. I take cerazette (pill) and its the same stuff as the implant and its usually great because I dont get periods. However, since I started in January, I think I've maybe had 2 weeks (one week at a time) where I've not had a damn period.

Needless to say, I've not had one last week, but its definitly coming on today. And its much heavier than anything I've ever had before.

I have pcos, so I'm hoping the periods are a sign that my hormones are getting better, but thats just a hope. :eek:

I've got an implant too and I've been all over the place when it comes to TOTM with two worryingly excessive bouts. The advice that I got from AAW8 was to up my iron through liver, spinach etc. I have resorted to this method while on S&S (rather than iron pills) and I had chicken livers and weighed/checked fat/calories etc so that I stayed within similar guidelines to the protein and veg allowance.

good advice maka, i am going to start on the spinach and maybe some of the red meat, its not reccomended but if i stick to the diet and just the protein i surley will still lose wont i.

Oooh, steak for dinner!

that would most definitley be my last supper yummy!

i am going to see what meat hubby's got in the fridge, it might stop him moaning at me too.

I might need to go get steak now on my way home. Steak and grilled courgettes with cajun spice. Yummy!

Or I could have a bowl of chilli with lettuce. lol!

VLCDs can affect your periods (either increasing frequency/flow or decreasing it). That's because fat cells also store hormones such as estrogen and when you lose weight you use up the fat and the hormones are released.

I've never read anything which suggests that VLCDs make your blood thinner and I can't see anything in the ingredients which look like it would have the affect. If you are getting cold it is not because of the viscosity of your blood but because you are taking in very few calories. If your body has limited calories it may choose to keep your organs at the right temperature (as you need them to live) and let your hands/feet/nose get cold as if you lose them you can still live. Obviously you won't lose them as you have hats/scarfs/socks etc!

That's v interesting weasey thanks. It makes sense about pumping blood to organs first and letting extremities go cold! I just didn't expect such a heavy loss but at least now I know what to expect!

Back