Hello from new user

MarianH

I wanted to say hello to everyone. My GL book (Holford) finally turned up today so I'm going to try and get to grips with the plan.

Although I eat fish, I'm not a massive fan, and a lot of the foods I was hoping to rely on are in the 'restricted' bit at the back of the book (like eggs and cheese), so it will be an interesting challenge. I do eat pulses already, but sense my intake will be on the up.

I started to cut back my carbs a week ago and people have commented that I look slimmer, so I'm pretty impressed. I have 3st to lose. I'm not weighing myself every week as I know that if my loss is less than I hope for, I give up. I want to give myself a few weeks so I can feel and see a physical difference in myself before I brave the scales.

So, hello and I'm pleased to meet you all :)

Which book / diet are you using?
I'm doing slimming world but a few years ago followed a low gi diet for my health and felt much better - so I'm dithering on the fence on which to continue with. I like SW as there are loads of carbs and fruits etc but I know thats why I'm feeling so rough healthwise as they don't suit me..... Which one to follow....???? My head tells me Gi but my stomach says SW!

Marian, good luck to you on your GL journey. I really love it. I never feel deprived or hungry once I stick to the right combination of low or medium GL foods. Perhaps take your measurements every few weeks too. Even though the scales may not shift, you may still be losing inches. Maybe also take out an outfit that is a size too small and try it on every other week.
Check out the useful Gi/ GL recipe thread here too for some food ideas.
My top tip is watch portion sizes and drink two to three litres of water throughout the day.

Which book / diet are you using?
I'm doing slimming world but a few years ago followed a low gi diet for my health and felt much better - so I'm dithering on the fence on which to continue with. I like SW as there are loads of carbs and fruits etc but I know thats why I'm feeling so rough healthwise as they don't suit me..... Which one to follow....???? My head tells me Gi but my stomach says SW!

What about doing traditional SW and sticking to mainly red days, then it would be lower carb, but you could have your healthy Bs and if you really needed a green day then you could have one.

Saying that, this diet - Patrick Holford, low gl - allows some carbs with each meal, they are just very restricted in portion size and type. He also suggests things like avoiding caffeine, a lot of cheese and red meat which makes it quite strict. I already eat mostly vegetarian foods, so the main changes for me will be eating fewer takeaways and going without the huge carb portions :D.

Marian, good luck to you on your GL journey. I really love it. I never feel deprived or hungry once I stick to the right combination of low or medium GL foods. Perhaps take your measurements every few weeks too. Even though the scales may not shift, you may still be losing inches. Maybe also take out an outfit that is a size too small and try it on every other week.
Check out the useful Gi/ GL recipe thread here too for some food ideas.
My top tip is watch portion sizes and drink two to three litres of water throughout the day.

Thank you for this. I've been lurking on here all week waiting for my book to turn up and see that you are the guru of GL! You have done so well with your weight loss too. Do you follow the Holford diet strictly? I was quite surprised to see things like eggs limited to 6 a week, and no cheese (except low fat bits like cottage cheese).

Thanks hon. When I started GL over a year ago, I very much stuck with Holford's main points avoiding red meat, cheddar cheeses etc. To avoid being hungry I opted for GL choices that give you more bang for your buck. For example, compare 30g pasta against 3/4 tin of broad beans mashed as an accompaniment to a protein dish or 30g bran flakes against 50g porridge.
Holford's book gives a lot of the scientific background supporting GL. I did not get too hung up on counting the GL values, just got my head round the right foods to choose from.
A great little book is dr Wynnie chan's Gi & GL counter. Gives you calorie values as well as whether food is high low or medium GL.

A great little book is dr Wynnie chan's Gi & GL counter. Gives you calorie values as well as whether food is high low or medium GL.

I'm pleased you've mentioned that one as I got given a copy last week and it seems really handy, though I was worried in case the Holford didn't go with it.

I totally agree with what you've said, I don't think I can face doing the counting really carefully as I want something that feels like it is a life choice, and counting would make it feel temporary, if that makes sense? I've just been choosing foods carefully, watching portions, and I've been dipping in and out of the book. I've also ordered the Nigel Denby to read through. I feel much better in myself so I think it is starting to work (Day 12).

Thanks for your help :)

You seem to be taking the same approach as I have. I agree that it will be the easiest way to make it part of everyday life. Almost two weeks in, you really will feel the benefits. Energy levels will be better, no stodgy bloated feeling after you have eaten, digestive system no longer sluggish, skin looking and feeling clearer, the list just goes on.
Keep at it and the inches will drop off too.

Back