Hello new weight loss blog :D

Just stopping by to see how you got on with the interview x

I missed that - Did she get the job Nomad? Congratulations Bon x

Morning! Sorry I didn't get chance to log in yesterday to tell you all the good news :D
Am so excited that I am going to be working in a museum, it's so my ideal job. Am so happy! I handed in my notice here yesterday, which was the nicest feeling in the world! So i have to work 4 weeks and then i'll be gone.
I dont think it's totally sunk in yet though! :D Happy me!

Brilliant! Do you get to work all year round? Those clued up people in period dress certainly give an authentic twist to a visit x

Good afternoon.

It is seasonal work so there are less hours in winter between Nov and March. But that should be ok, we'll manage on Jamie's wage and I could always do some temping or something like that.

I know, i can't wait to wear the "uniform"! :D Although I am not sure how knowledgable i am :S So i am reading lots of books on the Victorians now, ha.

I am so happy though, this is like my ideal job that i thought was just a dream as i didn't think i'd actually get to work there ever. So am chuffed I am. The hours aren't ideal and the money is not great but i would enjoy my days so that's more important.

There's a lot to be said for enjoying what you do. I used to run a playscheme and and arranged trips. I always pre-visited and found lots of crafts to prepare them for the visits. I encouraged the kids to ask questions which made them very popular with the guides as they were intelligent questions. One of our kids saw a man thatching a roof at St Fagans in Wales - he asked "Excuse Me Mr. Is that Maris Widgeon straw you're using?". Poor guy nearly fell off the roof and he said "Yeah but how do you know that?" "Well we use that at playscheme to make corn dollies and Miss told us it was thatching straw and it looks the same". Good Lad x

Haha, brilliant Gem. I like that. That is a very clever question :)

Aw I am looking forward to talking to the children vistors and seeing their faces when they learn what it was like in those days. Shall be lovely. Although I am sure there will be some little brats occasionally too :S

It is going to be hard work being on my toes all day when I am used to sitting in an office just doing data entry and listening to the radio. But hopefully I look past how tired i'll be and just be happy that I am in a fun, outside, oldy world office now :)

We've been celebrating since I got offered the job! that's 3 nights we've been having Cava and nice food and doing fun things til the early hours :) I think I need an early night tonight! I just can't stop smiling. I can't wait til my exit interview I'll have too, I have loads to say about how this place is so Orwellian, I have to for my own sanity.

I am planning a trip back to Mum and Dads too so they can teach me baking, sowing, crafts, clippy matting, how to chop kindling and light coal fires, and black the range and stuff, ha. I have done most of this when i was younger but it's been years so they are the people to ask :D

Well have a good day everyone. Happy Wednesday :)

We heard all about the smelly Tudors at the weekend. Aparently they used to have a bath in June (hence a nice clean June bride :eek:) and they all used the same bath water - imagine being the 30th person in a bath with dead fleas floating on the water :eek::eek:. After their bath the kids were sewn into their nice clean clothes - the tatters of which to be torn off for their bath next year :eek::eek::eek: x

Good morning.

Ha, i like that Gemstone. It's details like that that I find interesting about history, the little details that don't really get mentioned like sharing bathwater, ha.

So how are you guys today?

I have no motivation these days. Was so hard getting up this morning. I just want to be finished here and not have to come back ever! I have 3 weeks still to go, so not too long.

I finish work on Thurs 6th Sept. Then the next day I am starting at Beamish as they have a weekend event on so I said I'd start straight away to help them with that. They're having a country show which should be fun.

We had a lovely weekend thanks. We haven't stopped celebrating :) It's really helped me and Jamie that I am smiley again now, my miserableness was bringing us both down :S So woo.

Right, I should get on with some work. It's nearly morning break time though, woo.

Catch you later

Glad you're feeling happier Bon. I like all the little details of history too - that's what makes it fun. I try to imagine what it would feel like but get really grossed out. In my childhood baths were once a week on Sunday, although we did wash daily at the sink. That would be unthinkable nowadays as I wouldn't want to start my day without a shower and hairwash. In my parents' childhood things were tougher, especially my Dad who lived in the country. He told me that in the winter he had to break the ice before he could get the water to wash - brrrrrr...... a good excuse to go dirty I reckon x

Morning Bon. I have some more fun facts for you that I've heard recently - you may know them already but here goes.

In Tudor times the daughters of the house used to sleep in lofts as they had to be protected. If they were not married off they were said to be "left on the shelf".

People in those days used to wear night caps tied tightly under their chins. This was because things used to drop from the thatched roofs and they didn't want spiders and such like to go into their mouths x

Good morning Gem and Nomad :)

Ahhh those were fun facts, thanks for that Gem :) I do love history, I love picturing myself back in the past and what places would have looked like years ago. It's fasinating stuff!

Bathing once a week :S I know what you mean, i need a shower on a morning to wake me up! oh dear, suppose washing in icy cold water would also wake you up!

How are you doing Nomad? how's the new job going?

Well I have 4 days left to work here now! It seems so strange. It's all systems go. It's gonna be a huge change from sitting in an office looking at adverts all day, to being in the countryside, dressed in Victorian dress and then baking and doing crafts! I can't wait!

I went out for leaving drinks and food with my team last night, was nice. Then I am out next Wednesday when it's my last day and loads of people from the office are coming. Shall be sad leaving these people behind as i've had 6 and a half years with them :( But i am ready to move on now.

So am still bouncing with happiness :D I am off to Mum and Dads this weekend too so that'll be nice.

Have a good day!

Enjoy the time with your folks Bon x

Morning Bon, yes all good this end thanks. It's great to hear you sounding so happy, I'm so pleased for you. Enjoy your weekend with your mum and dad xx

Back