Hi everyone

PaulD339

Hi to everyone

I'm new to the site, and currently trying to decide what diet to follow - have to say that I'm completely confused at the moment but will keep reading the different threads!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Paul

Think with all the different diets there are you need to choose one that looks the best for you, one where u can continue eating what u like but just reducing the amount of it that you have, i.e roast dinner, extra veggies, less of the bad stuff :)
Im currently setting up my own diet plan , one thats the right amount of calories, but ties in with weight watchers aswell! then wil do my own weigh in on the wii at home rather than go to a group due to being a bit self concious :) Good luck losing :)

Thanks for the reply - and good luck with your dieting. Unfortunately if I kept eating exactly what I liked my diet would comprise mostly chocolate! Don't think that's realistic so something more strict might be required.

I just don't know what to expect from the different diets out there - how did everyone else chose? And did the diet end up being what you expected?

Hope to hear from you

Hi Paul, here's my 2 penn'orth:

I am not a fan of diets, if by "diet" you mean a regime which has you follow a menu plan, stay within a certain number of calories or fat grams, exclude whole categories of food, only eat specific combinations or at closely controlled times, or replace the food you would normally eat with shakes, bars or pre-packed meals. The reason I'm not is that I did many, many of these over a period of 20 years, age 11 (yes, really) to 31. I lost tens, even hundreds of stone, and ended up considerably heavier than I'd started. The reason being - I never addressed the issue of the eating habits that had got me overweight to start with, I just temporarily suppressed them.

For the last 17 years, I knew that I needed to change my definition of normal eating, but still struggled to do so. Then late last year, the problems caused by my weight began to have such a profound impact of my quality of life that I knew I had to sort myself out, or become increasingly immobile and disabled. With this realisation, I became willing to do whatever was necessary, up to and including having surgery.

As it turns out, I haven't had surgery and I don't think I now need to, because something has clicked in my head. To coin a phrase, I have accepted that "ye canna' change the laws of physics" - if you want anything resembling a healthy weight, you simply cannot have the habits of eating large portions at each meal, AND always having pudding, AND eating biscuits, cake, chocolate, crisps etc every day, AND using food to cope with stress, celebration, boredom, misery, and any other emotional state you can think of. That way of eating, especially combined with a sedentary lifestyle, is not compatible with good health, fitness or a reasonable weight. You need to make substantial changes to your eating and activity habits, permanently.

So, rather than worrying about which is the best diet for you, I would think about what changes you can make to your daily habits which you can sustain for the rest of your life. Every 100 calories you can either take out of your intake or add to your activity translates to roughly a stone less in your stable weight. It sounds like you have a serious chocolate habit - as I did - sorry to tell you this, but it's got to go.

We're all different, and you may be one of those people who does need to go on a diet in order to effectively go cold turkey from your toxic food habits and addictions. But even if you do that, you will eventually need to develop a new way of eating which contains a lot fewer calories than you have been used to. It was researching weight loss surgery which helped me to understand this - some folk think it's an easy way out, but it is far from that. Following surgery, people have to follow a liquid diet, then progress to mush, then soft food, and then a long term diet which has some very significant restrictions on what they can and can't eat, and where the quantity is limited by the restriction caused by the operation. But if you liquidise mars bars or eat ice-cream, you can beat the operation and still regain the weight. You still need to get your head fixed!

What has fixed my head is partly the realisation of the impact my weight was having on my life, and partly the wonderful, fantastic slimpods - see ThinkingSlimmer.com for details, or follow the link in my sig to my diary. Day by day, I am building and reinforcing new habits to replace the old ones. Out with massive portions at every meal, in with moderate ones most of the time. Out with a bar of chocolate (or two or three) every day, in with..... well, I had none between the end of January and Easter, and I've had none since Easter. Out with couch potato, in with trips to the gym 3 times a week, long walks, and now starting to run as well. Out with constant nibbling and grazing between meals and eating cake and biscuits at every opportunity, in with 3 meals a day, with snacks only if I'm physically hungry ( and then, they are fairly small, and healthy).

So, good luck with your search for the ideal regime to get you where you want to be. Whatever approach you settle on, don't forget that if you want to keep your newly trim figure, you're going to have to ditch many of the habits which gave you the figure you're trying to get rid of.

FYI, I am 48 years old, 5'7", on 1st January I weighed 21st 7lb, this morning I weighed 17st 10lb.

Barbara

Thanks so much Barbara - that really is food for thought (so to speak!)

I guess I had hoped that programs like WeightWatchers, Rosemary Conley etc would deal with the mental aspect of the way we view food, but it sounds as if they didn't help you in that critical way.

Can't comment on Rosemary or WW, as I've never done either. I did go to a GP-organised weight management programme, which involved weekly weigh-ins, lots of information about healthy eating, support to keep food diaries, trips to the supermarket to look at labels - lots of good stuff. But there wasn't anything in there about dealing with the psychological/emotional aspects of overeating - in fact, that was the main comment I made when the programme finished.

Maybe some if these groups do address that aspect - perhaps someone else will be able to tell you about that.

Barbara

Back