Hmmm - not ENOUGH fat??

likklebex

I have just been pondering my weight loss situation... nearly everything i eat is low fat. I have skimmed milk, extra like laughing cow, extra lean mince, fat free yoghurts blah blah blah... i am losing every week but only really miniscule amounts and have had a couple of STSs. Could it be that i need to eat MORE fat? Is my body holding onto it because im not giving it any?

I've just had full fat philly on toast - only cost my 7 PP! Maybe i just need to have the odd full fat meals here and there...

Any thoughts? xx

Interesting! Was just reading something, somewhere about fat not necessarily being bad, but necessary in moderation.

I think you should try and it and see if it helps?
x

Yeh i reckon you're right. As long as keep within my ppoints it's not guna do my any harm is it. Might get some full fat yoghurts and have semi skimmed milk this week and see what happens.

Thanks chick! xx

I don't believe the body hangs on to fat when you don't eat enough. But if you don't have enough you will not be absorbing certain vitamins that require fat to absorb them. However I feel pretty certain this is not connected to your disappointing weight loss rate. I'd be inclined to increase olive oil etc rather than saturated animal fat.

I have just been pondering my weight loss situation... nearly everything i eat is low fat. I have skimmed milk, extra like laughing cow, extra lean mince, fat free yoghurts blah blah blah... i am losing every week but only really miniscule amounts and have had a couple of STSs. Could it be that i need to eat MORE fat? Is my body holding onto it because im not giving it any?

I've just had full fat philly on toast - only cost my 7 PP! Maybe i just need to have the odd full fat meals here and there...

Any thoughts? xx

I use a beautiful website called "Sparkpeople". over there, for free, you get a tracker that counts calories, carbs, proteins, fat and fibre of your food and they also give you guidelines of how much you should be eating of it to lose. well, when I was on Discover, I always had too little fat for their advice, even on maintenance! In fact, my 18/22 points maintenance would barely compare to their 1200/1550 calories to lose weight! Now on PP I find that I fit PERFECTLY within their guidelines, for calories, proteins, carbs, fibre and also fat. Sometimes I might get too much fibre but... I don't think it's as bad :)

As for fat, when I'm not having enough Sparkpeople TELLS ME OFF! It says, "Dietary fat is essential to good health. Your body needs a certain amount of fat to build cells, carry and transport nutrients, and make hormones, for example, so it's important that you eat the right amount." I think that sometimes if we don't eat enough fat your body would retain the one we have and would break its "mouth to feed" in order to obtain the same result: so it would probably break your muscles and keep hold of the fat on your body, which is *precious* for it in a "famine" period, like your savings would be the last things you would dip in if you were losing your job. First you would be cutting on "unnecessary" things, like Sky and things like that, and then you would dip into your savings just as a last resource!

I'd be inclined to increase olive oil etc rather than saturated animal fat.

I agree, extra virgin olive oil is a great way of getting more *good* fat into your diet. Also, salmon, trouts and oily fish are great ways as well. Nuts are perfect also, and they contain nutritions that are VERY important for your body. I normally have 18g of mixed nuts at lunch time, which corresponds to 3pp. Healthier and better for me than any cereal bar or biscuit with the same amount of points!:D

Thanks - So eating everything low fat is probably not good for my weight loss then. I've had full fat philly, and full fat cheese today and i am going to try having semi-skimmed milk a bit more this week instead of skimmed. I love salmon and fish but unfortunately my partner doesn't so much and as we cook and eat as a family i dont get to eat it as much as i'd like. We have a really busy life so i dont have time to make two sets of meals. I very rarely use oil to cook so maybe i should put a bit of olive oil in my cooking sometimes too.

Anymore tips or thoughts?? My weight loss isn't disappointing to the point where i am getting down about it but i would like to try to lose 2lbs a week instead of half a pound :)

why don't you try to get an account at Sparkpeople for a few weeks and log in your food even there? It's free and I know it can be a bit time consuming to log into two systems, but you might realise that you have been eating too much of some nutritions and less of others! I notice for example that when I have too much salt for Sparks' standards the day after I have a little gain. Yesterday I had nearly exceeded my carbs intake as I had maybe a bit too much fruit and at dinner time I had a quiche lorraine... normally I check on Sparks before having dinner so I can correct any problem. It's great because I like to keep an eye on my fruit intake even if it's "free"

http://www.sparkpeople.com/

why don't you try to get an account at Sparkpeople for a few weeks and log in your food even there? It's free and I know it can be a bit time consuming to log into two systems, but you might realise that you have been eating too much of some nutritions and less of others! I notice for example that when I have too much salt for Sparks' standards the day after I have a little gain. Yesterday I had nearly exceeded my carbs intake as I had maybe a bit too much fruit and at dinner time I had a quiche lorraine... normally I check on Sparks before having dinner so I can correct any problem. It's great because I like to keep an eye on my fruit intake even if it's "free"

Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople
Yeh i think i will log in and have a litte look. Thanks for your help x

Kagome - what is your username on there cos i can say you referred me x

giuliafancelli :) as soon as you sign up, let me know your nick so I can friend you!

my username is likklebex - same as here :)

still can't find you... probably you need to create a sparkpage first :) well, I'll check later ;)

PS: I know it's completely not related to this but I'm watching a film on GOLD and boy, I'm welling up :( my fiancé is sleeping on the remote and I can't check the title of the film... :cry:

still can't find you... probably you need to create a sparkpage first :) well, I'll check later ;)

PS: I know it's completely not related to this but I'm watching a film on GOLD and boy, I'm welling up :( my fiancé is sleeping on the remote and I can't check the title of the film... :cry:

I just tried to look for you but i cant find Gold on my list tonigt for some reason!!

Ok so i have put my details in and have put my food in and it says today i have had a good amt of fat. I have not had enough carbs apparently and slightly under the right amt of protein.

I just tried to look for you but i cant find Gold on my list tonigt for some reason!!

Ok so i have put my details in and have put my food in and it says today i have had a good amt of fat. I have not had enough carbs apparently and slightly under the right amt of protein.

that's good for the fat, but as you might have seen running the report, Sparks teaches you that the right amount of carbs and proteins is really important for the good functioning of your body. Maybe this is the reason why you're losing less? proteins are very important to rebuild muscles and carbs give you energy... and with less energy you're more likely to feel lethargic and move less! Also, I decided to track even sodium and fibre in the report, and it's very helpful I think because we should all get less salt in our diet. However, one day it told me I had TOO LITTLE salt!:eek:

PS: thanks for checking for me, I looked online but apparently they are airing something different on the schedule I can see so... it's a mystery I will be able to discover only when my fiancé wakes up. Beautiful film anyway! The story of a family with a very sweet nana... I love all the songs in the soundtrack also and that doesn't help my welling up :)

Yeh i never use salt so i may well have too little as well. So maybe i was eating too little fat then if today it is ok as i have upped my fat content today. We will see! I looked on an online tv guide and it says it's the Royal Family which is a british situation comedy "sit com" about a working class family... so not sure if that's what it is!x

Yeh i never use salt so i may well have too little as well. So maybe i was eating too little fat then if today it is ok as i have upped my fat content today. We will see! I looked on an online tv guide and it says it's the Royal Family which is a british situation comedy "sit com" about a working class family... so not sure if that's what it is!x

yes maybe it's this... keep on logging in the next days and plan around your points AND Spark... it's not difficult because your propoints track very similar values with very similar goals, but I find Spark very precise and it helps me to find the right balance in the food I eat, because it counts everything including vegetables and fruit. You know, too much of a good thing is a bad thing, so too much veggies can also be bad for you.

I have found the same on the TV guide I looked at, but this dosn't feel like a sitcom at all, that's why I'm sceptical... you know, in a sitcom there should be laughters, a bit like Only Fools and Horses... but this one is VERY sad... and doesn't feel like an episode but like a movie! Maybe it's just me :) Thanks for checking anyway!

Back