Hospital Appointment Yesterday.

Lisa Marie

Silver Member
HI

I need a bit of advice guys. Went to the hospital yesterday for a follow up appointment regarding my endometriosis. They were treating it with monthly injections, but this hasn't worked. The consultant said that the only other option is to have a Laparotomy which apparantly is major abdominal surgery. I freaked out when I heard this and broke down, to be honest I'm scared stiff.

So here's my dilema they gave me a date for the op there and then of 14th April. I got myself in such a state that I forgot to mention I was on CD when I was with the consultant, but told the nurse when she took my bloods afterwards she checked with the sister who said it shouldn't be a problem being in ketosis when I go in for the op. But looking at other posts on here it says to stop CD for 2 weeks prior and 3 Months! after. So who's right? if it's the latter I'm gutted booked our hols for July and I so wanted to be at goal for then. Do you think I should postpone the op till I've reached goal?

was if deffo laparotomy, or was it laparoscopy? Big difference for you!

Sorry to hear your news. I would say that postponing your op depends on how badly you are suffering with your endo, can you bear to wait another few months? On the other hand, being significantly overweight and having a big abdominal op is no fun - I had one 3 weeks ago today, and how I wish I'd lost weight before. So really you have to weigh up the pros and cons, only you can decide. As far as I know, being in ketosis for a general anaesthetic is a definite no-no - official CD policy, and you are not supposed to SS for 3 months after either, as a general rule. Good luck with whatever you decide. Endo is miserable, my poor sister suffered really badly for years before finally having a hysterectomy to get rid of it.
SM

After an operation your body needs a higher level of protein to help it heal. That is why you can't do Cambridge for 3months after an op.

Speak to your GP or doctor and see what they say.

Hope everything goes well for you.

Thanks for the replys. I've made an appointment to see my GP but can't see her till 11th march. I'm seriously thinking about postponing the op, at the moment I want to lose the weight more than the treatment. I've plodded on like this for 18 months I don't supppose a few more will make any difference.

Just an update.

Spoke to my CDC and she said it's a def no no to be on cd 2 weeks prior and 3 months after. Saw my GP on tuesday and she confirmed this, a VLCD can interfere with the healing process. So after speaking at length with the doc we've decided to postpone the op until August, she's gonna write to the hospital to see if they can postpone it and suggest some medication to help me in the meantime. Fingers crossed they will agree and I will be at goal when I have the op.

Glad I checked this out again cos if I'd listened to the sister at the hospital god knows what state I'd have been in.

thats great news..

i would inform the hospital of that sisters wrong advice.. thats dangerous..

good luck though.. you will feel so much better when you get to goal.. :)

Great news Lisa.
I think if you can live with the pain until you have lost a bit more weight it would be ideal for you

Just because its interesting....i read that people who have gastric bands fitted need to be in ketosis before and after operation....if so how do they heal from a pretty serious op?
Is this rubbish?
Im not having one or anything just curious lol...sorry im a nosey girl!
xxx

heard back from the hospital today and they have changed my op date to the 18th of August. I'm soooo pleased that way I should be at goal and my hols will be out of the way. I can't drive for approx 6 weeks after so glad it's in the school holidays.

heard back from the hospital today and they have changed my op date to the 18th of August. I'm soooo pleased that way I should be at goal and my hols will be out of the way. I can't drive for approx 6 weeks after so glad it's in the school holidays.

Well thats a relief for you, from all aspects. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back