Hospital Appointment Yesterday.

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by Lisa Marie, 27 February 2008 Social URL.

1. Lisa Marie

Lisa Marie Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    cd
    HI

I need a bit of advice guys. Went to the hospital yesterday for a follow up appointment regarding my endometriosis. They were treating it with monthly injections, but this hasn't worked. The consultant said that the only other option is to have a Laparotomy which apparantly is major abdominal surgery. I freaked out when I heard this and broke down, to be honest I'm scared stiff.

So here's my dilema they gave me a date for the op there and then of 14th April. I got myself in such a state that I forgot to mention I was on CD when I was with the consultant, but told the nurse when she took my bloods afterwards she checked with the sister who said it shouldn't be a problem being in ketosis when I go in for the op. But looking at other posts on here it says to stop CD for 2 weeks prior and 3 Months! after. So who's right? if it's the latter I'm gutted booked our hols for July and I so wanted to be at goal for then. Do you think I should postpone the op till I've reached goal?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. BIG BIRDY

BIG BIRDY Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    cambridge
    was if deffo laparotomy, or was it laparoscopy? Big difference for you!

4. Lisa Marie

Lisa Marie Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    cd
    It's the big op a laparotomy eek. They can't do a laparoscopy because of where the endo is.

5. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

maybe try to ask the surgeon what he/she thinks about being in ketosis.

I would be interested to hear more about this as I think I may have just accepted that we should have glycogen stores at a time like this, because it made sense to me ... so I didn't find out why that was being said.

Let us know

6. skinnymongoose

skinnymongoose Full Member

Diet:
    undecided
    Sorry to hear your news. I would say that postponing your op depends on how badly you are suffering with your endo, can you bear to wait another few months? On the other hand, being significantly overweight and having a big abdominal op is no fun - I had one 3 weeks ago today, and how I wish I'd lost weight before. So really you have to weigh up the pros and cons, only you can decide. As far as I know, being in ketosis for a general anaesthetic is a definite no-no - official CD policy, and you are not supposed to SS for 3 months after either, as a general rule. Good luck with whatever you decide. Endo is miserable, my poor sister suffered really badly for years before finally having a hysterectomy to get rid of it.
    SM

7. flirty40greeneyes

flirty40greeneyes Busy busy busy!!

Start Weight:
    15st3lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(9.39%)
    Diet:
    Slim and Save
    After an operation your body needs a higher level of protein to help it heal. That is why you can't do Cambridge for 3months after an op.

Speak to your GP or doctor and see what they say.

Hope everything goes well for you.

8. Lisa Marie

Lisa Marie Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    cd
    Thanks for the replys. I've made an appointment to see my GP but can't see her till 11th march. I'm seriously thinking about postponing the op, at the moment I want to lose the weight more than the treatment. I've plodded on like this for 18 months I don't supppose a few more will make any difference.

9. rowanx2

rowanx2 Losing the baby fat

Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Diet:
    The Get into a Swimsuit Diet
    Will they be able to do the op in afew months or will be put on a waiting list?
    As much as you want to lose weight that can wait - can your health?

10. Lisa Marie

Lisa Marie Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    cd
    Just an update.

Spoke to my CDC and she said it's a def no no to be on cd 2 weeks prior and 3 months after. Saw my GP on tuesday and she confirmed this, a VLCD can interfere with the healing process. So after speaking at length with the doc we've decided to postpone the op until August, she's gonna write to the hospital to see if they can postpone it and suggest some medication to help me in the meantime. Fingers crossed they will agree and I will be at goal when I have the op.

Glad I checked this out again cos if I'd listened to the sister at the hospital god knows what state I'd have been in.

11. amethyst

amethyst Banned

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    17st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8lb(3.17%)
    Diet:
    CD
    thats great news..

i would inform the hospital of that sisters wrong advice.. thats dangerous..

good luck though.. you will feel so much better when you get to goal.. :)

12. misscheeky

misscheeky Gold Member

thats great news lisa :)

13. Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins Gold Member

Start Weight:
    19st8lb
    Current Weight:
    11st5lb
    Lost(%):
    8st3lb(41.97%)
    Diet:
    cambridge
    Great news Lisa.
    I think if you can live with the pain until you have lost a bit more weight it would be ideal for you

14. Time4ME

Time4ME MUST get a grip

Diet:
    Cambridge
    Glad you got it all sorted in your mind Lisa xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

15. Daisy_Duke13

Daisy_Duke13 Full Member

Goal Weight:
    9st3lb
    Diet:
    Weightwatchers
    Just because its interesting....i read that people who have gastric bands fitted need to be in ketosis before and after operation....if so how do they heal from a pretty serious op?
    Is this rubbish?
    Im not having one or anything just curious lol...sorry im a nosey girl!
    xxx

16. Lisa Marie

Lisa Marie Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    cd
    heard back from the hospital today and they have changed my op date to the 18th of August. I'm soooo pleased that way I should be at goal and my hols will be out of the way. I can't drive for approx 6 weeks after so glad it's in the school holidays.

17. Time4ME

Time4ME MUST get a grip

Diet:
    Cambridge
    Well thats a relief for you, from all aspects. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.