How did you decide on your final target weight?

hayleyj

Hi all, I was just wondering how everyone decided what their final target should be? I started SW last October and I am half a pound away from loosing 3 and a half stone. I'm 26 and 5 foot 10. Any one out there a similar height or have any suggestions on how I should set that final target? Thank you x

I set my original target at 11 st 5lb, which would bring me just inside the healthy BMI range for my height. I was quite happy at that weight. I lost 2lb the next week and maintained at 11st 3lb for about a month. Then one week when I got on the scales, I'd lost a further 5.5lb, bringing me to 10 st 11.5lb so I made 10st 12lb my new target! I'm actually out of target range now, at 10st 8lb but my consultant told me to get weighed with my shoes or handbag so the scales register me as within target and I don't have to pay! I think you will know what target is right for you when you get there!

I'm the same as (not so) lardylady - we are the same height and my target will take me to the top of the healthy BMI range - a 7 stone loss although actually I'm aiming for another couple of pounds to make the magic century mark. Last time I was a member my target was about 7lbs less and I maintained at that for a good while. So who knows things might yet change. I need to get back to the gym to tone up so that might also affect my weight and mean I have to re-assess it. Basically don't worry about it, just see how you feel as you get smaller :)

Good question- I am the same height as you & I have set mine for 11st 5lbs with SW because I was that weight before & I know that's when I was hawtest :D

do you feel ready to call target?

I'm about an inch shorter than you and I actually am not bothered how much I weigh, I just want to get into size 12 jeans. In any shop. Anywhere. Without breathing in. Or having to lie on the floor. Tucking that extra flesh in the zip.

The scales are not the only measure and I am dubious of BMI as a good enough indicator. It's too broad and takes no account of genetic shape or where the weight is carried, which can be indicative of problems in later life. For example someone can be slim on the arms and legs and yet carry all their weight around their middle. Which is not good for heart health. They may appear to have a healthy BMI.

My advice. Assess as you go, when you are happy with what you see and what you wear, stop and maintain. If you choose to carry on after that you can reset a target.

:)

I guess it depends how you are built, muscle etc but more importantly where you feel happy and comfortable. You can change your target at any time.

I'm 5ft9 (1 inch shorter than you)
I feel comfortable and can maintain easy at 11stone. I've ways been active and exercise and at this weight I'm a size 12 without the extra wobble. I've been a 12 before and been flabby, that's why I said that.

I have gone down to 10 stone before and my collar bone stuck out, and hip bones. I was always cold.

Anyway my target this time is 11stone.

In response to lickthelid I also hate bmi.

I work in a medical setting and apparently they are pushing the waist to hip ratio as a better way to track health. Search google 'waist to hip ratio calculator'
I love that as I come out super slim lol, as I have a tiny waist and carry my weight on bust/hips.

Anyway it is based on measurements.

I haven't been overweight for that long, so have an awful lot of clothes that I fitted in to 18months or 2years ago. My target it to get in to those- I know what weight I was at that time but that isn't so much my target as the fitting in to them is!

Thank you for all of your suggestions!
I agree with you on BMI, I don't think it's a true reflection.
11st 8lbs is the number in my head that I think I will aim for - I'm not too sure how I've come up with that though!
I have dropped 2-3 dress sizes which I'm happy with. I would just like to be firmly in the '11's' and maybe start to tone up.

Good question- I think I googled other girls who were the same height as me and found that most of them were around the 9 stone mark.

It's quite low (I've never weighed that in my adult life) but I know that if it's too low I can try and put some on ;)

Hi there, I am 5' 9" and have been at target for nearly two years. My target weight is 10st 8lbs. I currently weight 10st 6lb and thats where I feel most comfy. I did have an initial target of 10st 10lbs but didnt feel right there so reduced it by another 2 lbs and I have remained bobbing up and down around 10st 5lbs - 10st 7lbs. Its how you feel that counts, everyone is different. I started at `12st 10lbs.

Back